What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

I find it interesting that this far out from a general election Labour have legitimised personal attack ads. There's always been "look at them over there" campaigning but this is another step in the 'Americanisation' of UK elections.  Presumably they won't be complaining if 😉- ok - WHEN other parties do the same. 

Should be a very rich and profitable seam to be mined by the advertising agencies.  Some members of the Forum will love this stuff. 

9 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Never thought I'd hear myself saying this in my lifetime but I'm getting close to a stage where I'd actually prefer the Tories to win the GE.

I am no Labour fan, but..........

blinking trailer park boys GIF

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Never thought I'd hear myself saying this in my lifetime but I'm getting close to a stage where I'd actually prefer the Tories to win the GE.

Keef and his cohorts are turning into a bunch of obnoxious pratts.  

Second paragraph, I like. First one, not so much.

Keef and his cohorts are turning into a bunch of obnoxious pratts.  

There's no "turning into" about it.

Here's Lisa Nancy complaining about the level of discourse from 2020 

Yes, controversial I know!

BUT... I also feel there's a better prospect of more votes for the SNP under a Tory govt. 

Screenshot_20230410_192824_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.1dfe9863fec9f2f2cf8857ae2fa57a7f.jpghttps://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/05/over-330000-excess-deaths-in-great-britain-linked-to-austerity-finds-study

The stakes are higher than you're imagining. Nothing justifies the continuation of this Tory government and there are no silver linings either.

16 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

Screenshot_20230410_192824_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.1dfe9863fec9f2f2cf8857ae2fa57a7f.jpghttps://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/05/over-330000-excess-deaths-in-great-britain-linked-to-austerity-finds-study

The stakes are higher than you're imagining. Nothing justifies the continuation of this Tory government and there are no silver linings either.

It’s no surprise ICTJohnboy thinks this given he is one of the biggest James O’brien fanboys on here. People like this have never suffered the worst effects of years of austerity and decades of neoliberalism. 

Edited by MazzyStar

I'll always find it baffling how some apparantly progressive thinkers get so upset over the idea of Labour winning a general election over the literal Conservative party. 

I appreciate this place seems to be very pro SNP and pro Indy but even if that is your ultimate goal surely you would much prefer Starmer to Sunak at this point even if you do think that he's isn't as progressive as you'd like him to be. 

41 minutes ago, sophia said:

Yes, a fine example there of how to raise the standards of debate in this country!

5 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

I'll always find it baffling how some apparantly progressive thinkers get so upset over the idea of Labour winning a general election over the literal Conservative party. 

I appreciate this place seems to be very pro SNP and pro Indy but even if that is your ultimate goal surely you would much prefer Starmer to Sunak at this point even if you do think that he's isn't as progressive as you'd like him to be. 

You mean Starmer, the man who campaigned so vociferously against Brexit and is now the country's biggest defender and supporter of that unmitigated disaster.

And we all know why....

Edited by ICTJohnboy

17 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

It’s no surprise ICTJohnboy thinks this given he is one of the biggest James O’brien fanboys on here. People like this have never suffered the worst effects of years of austerity and decades of neoliberalism. 

Is O'Brien a Tory fanboy?

17 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

He’s the dreaded centrist in a lot of ways. Has certainly voted Johnson before but whether it was over Livingstone for mayor or Corbyn for PM I can’t remember 

He did vote for Johnson for the London mayor gig, but is always the first to admit that was a terrible mistake, and he's being doing his level best to crucify him (and the Tories in general) ever since.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

30 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Think longterm. A Starmer win validates a “Labour” Party that is Tory-lite, and thus invites the Tories back in a few years (when middle England fancies the real thing again). I’d rather the actual Tory Party self-immolates than the Labour Party simply steps into its shoes and the jolly knight claims it a vindication for sensible right-wing, immigrant-crushing politics.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

Is there a clip of her on QT, when she was berated by a Tory for being personally useless, and she just sat there nodding sadly at how incompetent she was being told she was?

33 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

You mean Starmer, the man who campaigned so vociferously against Brexit and is now the country's biggest defender and supporter of that unmitigated disaster.

And we all know why....

Well aye... when in direct comparison with Rishi Sunak of the Conservative party then yes I 100% prefer Starmer as I'd hope most people on here would irrespective of their Indy opinions. 

Edited by RuMoore