What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

4 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Starmer's intended point there was completely unclear. Has he since explained what he meant?

As I understand it, auf Wiedersehen pet was about builders who went to Germany for a better standard of living (before my time, just what I've read today) so his implication is that Sunak is delivering a lower standard of living than Poland (per a recent report) and so if AWP were made today the guys would go there. Only they can't because freedom of movement ended, but Labour support that now so he left this part out.

4 hours ago, Iain said:

As I understand it, auf Wiedersehen pet was about builders who went to Germany for a better standard of living (before my time, just what I've read today) so his implication is that Sunak is delivering a lower standard of living than Poland (per a recent report) and so if AWP were made today the guys would go there. Only they can't because freedom of movement ended, but Labour support that now so he left this part out.

Thats right.

I think Flynn was also bang on the money, as it was a very clunky way to make a point from Starmer (and not for the first time).

Flynn made the point later that Starmer has had multiple open goals to go for and missed them all by trying to be amusing.

I know all these people have speechwriters etc, but this is not the first time Starmer has tried to make a joke about a serious point and didnt land it. I think he is writing his own lines.................and he needs to stop.

16 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Lip reader probably not needed for this one 

Listened to the PM questions podcast driving into work this morning and had exactly the same reaction. Absolutely woeful patter from KS and once again, the points risen where valid but he allowed RS to dive away from it, it was the speaker that pulled the conversation back....momentarily.

Her husband's a Country and Western singer from the same County, I love the way how anyone who worked in Northern Ireland during the troubles has to have been a spook, like normal life went on the back burner for 30 years. Of course she might have been a spook, who knows, but I doubt if MI5 wanted to put an agent in to run a pub in Newry they'd pick someone who'd been publicly working for the NI civil service.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10856801/Partygate-Patrick-Kielty-tells-late-night-lock-ins-Sue-Grays-pub.html

Edited by welshbairn

47 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Her husband's a Country and Western singer from the same County, I love the way how anyone who worked in Northern Ireland during the troubles has to have been a spook, like normal life went on the back burner for 30 years. Of course she might have been a spook, who knows, but I doubt if MI5 wanted to put an agent in to run a pub in Newry they'd pick someone who'd been publicly working for the NI civil service.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10856801/Partygate-Patrick-Kielty-tells-late-night-lock-ins-Sue-Grays-pub.html

That’s not what is being implied here.

If what Chris Cook says is true then it would be hard to think what’s being alleged isn’t true. 

58 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

That’s not what is being implied here.

If what Chris Cook says is true then it would be hard to think what’s being alleged isn’t true. 

I wish people would post links rather than just screenshots of fragments of texts in their tweets, it's a technique Wings uses that I find really annoying, almost like they don't want you to read the context. I'll track down the full text after the football and give a more considered opinion. 

I’m not sure why some on the left/on Twitter seem to feel that ‘stopping the small boats’ shouldn’t absolutely be a priority, for any government of any ideology. 50,000 people a year paying criminals for transport, risking their lives to come here, some dying on the way, either living in dreadful conditions when they do arrive or simply disappearing into the cities, unable to work or live freely and waiting over two years to even have their applications considered? It’s a horrible situation for everyone. 

Obviously the method of stopping is the key to whether or not it’s a fucking dreadful/racist policy. But in general, Labour are quite right to kick the Tories over it.

58 minutes ago, Paco said:

I’m not sure why some on the left/on Twitter seem to feel that ‘stopping the small boats’ shouldn’t absolutely be a priority, for any government of any ideology. 50,000 people a year paying criminals for transport, risking their lives to come here, some dying on the way, either living in dreadful conditions when they do arrive or simply disappearing into the cities, unable to work or live freely and waiting over two years to even have their applications considered? It’s a horrible situation for everyone. 

Obviously the method of stopping is the key to whether or not it’s a fucking dreadful/racist policy. But in general, Labour are quite right to kick the Tories over it.

Disagree that they're right to go head on to the Tories here. Labour should be making this about stopping the need for people to get on boats. Instead they are basically egging the Tories on to ever greater degrees of b*****dness. 

I wonder what it is about a Labour party run by absolute ghouls who will do anything to get a positive reaction from the country's psychopathic media, with Yvette fucking Cooper as Shadow HS, that makes people not trust their "Small Boats" policy is about preventing people trafficking rather than something far far more sinister.

Fqr7_m9XwAAy96-.jpeg

3 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I wonder what it is about a Labour party run by absolute ghouls who will do anything to get a positive reaction from the country's psychopathic media, with Yvette fucking Cooper as Shadow HS, that makes people not trust their "Small Boats" policy is about preventing people trafficking rather than something far far more sinister.

Fqr7_m9XwAAy96-.jpeg

This guy does surely know, that "asylum seeker" is a descriptor applied to a human being? An actual person.... yes?

5 hours ago, Paco said:

Labour are quite right to kick the Tories over it.

Perhaps. But they seem to be OUTRAGED because 'it won't work'. I'd prefer them to be angry because it is a monstrous way to treat human beings who are already vulnerable.

To paraphrase the final sentence of Animal Farm:

The electorate looked from Labour to Tories, and from Tories to Labour, and from Labour to Tories again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.