What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

5 minutes ago, orfc said:

What about the hundreds of thousands dead in the Ukraine? Where's the SNP call for a ceasefire there? Ooh nowhere, cos they can't use it to drive a wedge into their rivals. I think the grip needs to be on those doing the point scoring, not those pointing out they're doing it 🙂

Without any need for further comment, there's this, from only 2 days ago

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/snp-calls-for-sanctions-to-be-stepped-up-on-russia/

Just now, lichtgilphead said:

Without any need for further comment, there's this, from only 2 days ago

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/snp-calls-for-sanctions-to-be-stepped-up-on-russia/

But they're not using up their time in Westminster to say that, they just released a press statement. Why not do the same for Gaza? Because it's entirely about politicking rather than giving a toss about the people involved. I bet half of the MPs of all parties couldn't point to Gaza on a globe 🙂

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Again, what’s happening in Ukraine isn’t being done by a close ally of the U.K. to whom we supply arms and diplomatic cover. So it’s not really the same. 

As I've pointed out though we don't supply arms as such. Bits of a plane which, if as suggested we went "stop that",  the yanks would just go "oh you don't want to be part of this project anymore then?" 

You'd actually have more leverage telling the Israeli's we won't be buying any more of their military tech , but still £50m is only half a Grealish, it's not going to make or break anything 🙂

https://www.declassifieduk.org/ties-that-bind-britain-buys-46m-of-israeli-military-equipment-and-stations-troops-in-israel/

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Saying it’s just ‘bits of a plane’ doesn’t make it any fucking better when that plane is being used to carpet bomb refugee camps and that. 

Indeed, nae pasaran ...

4 hours ago, orfc said:

Everything must be really hunky dory in Scotland if the SNP can waste all their parliamentary time on a conflict happening on a different continent that we're not even taking part in? 

I'll say it again, and the idiot parade can get down voting again, this is just playing politics to try and stiff labour and it's failed again

2-0 to the STARMER 

What an insular little fuckwit you are proving to be. 

9 hours ago, orfc said:

Ooh, nasty names! Lose your temper, lose the argument shunny 🙂

Trust me there was zero anger describing you as I did, odd to think that anyone who describes you as a fukwit or insular is by default "angry". You made it glaringly obvious with your position. 

The primary job of MPs is to represent the constituents who elect them. On the issue of what Israel is doing in Gaza, there is a clear majority of the UK electorate wanting the UK government to push for a ceasefire. That majority is higher still among Labour constituencies. Yet because Starmer has been whipping his MPs into not voting for ceasefire motions, he has been denying Labour MPs the chance to do their jobs properly. Denying them the ability to represent in parliament the democratic will of their constituents. That much is objective fact. We can then subjectively speculate on why he's doing it. My guess is he's more concerned about appealing to Tory voters in swing seats and their potential sensibilities on this issue than he is about Labour voters. Of course, this is going to piss off both Labour MPs and Labour voters. In Scotland, there's an attempt to shield Starmer from backlash to his chicanery by blaming the SNP. Due to existing biases here, that's probably finding some reception. However, nobody in England and Wales is falling for it. 

22 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I see that Hoyle -after saying last week that the SNP Gaza motion could now be debated in parliament - has decided to pull his own promise.

A man of integrity, indeed............

You'll be hard pressed to find any media coverage on it

Meanwhile welsh health minister during pandemic,  currently vying to become welsh devolved leader, 

Admits deleting his WhatsApp during pandemic 

Barely a squeak in the media 

As opposed to the 2 weeks coverage nicola got

Hmm

33 minutes ago, Binos said:

Meanwhile welsh health minister during pandemic,  currently vying to become welsh devolved leader, 

Admits deleting his WhatsApp during pandemic 

Barely a squeak in the media 

As opposed to the 2 weeks coverage nicola got

Hmm

That’s because nobody cares about wales. 

Edited by MazzyStar

On 27/02/2024 at 09:14, Freedom Farter said:

The primary job of MPs is to represent the constituents who elect them. 

It's to represent the constituents, but it isn't to represent the views of their constituents. Otherwise we would have SNP politicians campaigning to remain in the UK and we would still have the death penalty. 

Edited by sparky88

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/mar/01/george-galloway-profiting-pain-gaza-rochdale

*cough cough*

"The MPs of the Scottish National party are, of course, sincere in their outrage at the plight of Gaza. But few would argue that the ceasefire motion they tabled last week – which triggered such ructions in the Commons – was aimed solely at helping Palestinians in need. It was also designed to expose and widen the rift within the ranks of their electoral rivals, Labour"

Looks like that notorious right wing rag the guardian agrees with me, and not with the vacant twenty on this thread 🙂