What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

5 hours ago, Detournement said:

I'm just pointing out for the potential benefit of younger (and ignorant) posters that in 2007 everyone understood the SNP got all their budgets through via a backroom agreement with the Tories.

Supply and Confidence was a poor choice of words but it's a fact that they had an informal arrangement which amounted to the same thing.

Well, ignorant kiddies, here's why you should never believe creepy old uncle H_B until you've checked all the facts.

At the Scottish Parliament election in 2007, the results were as follows:

SNP 47 seats, Lab 46, Con 17, LibDems 16, Green 2, Independent 1. However, one of the Tories (Alex Fergusson) was elected as Presiding Officer, so they effectively had 16 MSP's

As 65 votes are needed for a majority, the only 2-party coalition that could muster that number of votes would be SNP/Lab. As this didn't happen, the SNP always needed support (or abstention) from at least 2 other parties.

2008 budget - passed by 64 votes to 62 - SNP for, Lab against, Con for, LibDems against, Greens abstain, Ind for

2009 budget - passed by 123 votes to 2 - SNP for, Lab for, Con for, LibDems for, Greens against, Ind for

2010 budget passed by 66 votes to 45 - SNP for, Lab against, Con for, LibDem abstain, Green for, Ind for

2011 budget passed by 79 votes to 48 - SNP for, Lab against, Con for, LibDem for, Green against, Ind abstain

To me, that looks like a minority government trying to win support  for budgets on a year by year basis, with every party supporting at least one of the budgets that passed. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

So does the SNP throw all their resources into scalping Ian Murray for the craic or leave him to it and try to hold their slim majorities elsewhere?

Demographically Edin South is well beyond the SNP.

It really depends on the context and nature of the next election, but it's difficult to see the SNP engaging in another listless campaign like the last one. I think far from defending their slim majorities they'd always be looking to win back seats, particularly the central belt seats they lost. 

Edinburgh South is a funny seat, Tory until 1987 then Labour in either a landslide or a narrow victory from the Lib Dems and more recently SNP.  Murray's got quite a big majority atm. Always a strong Tory vote in local elections too.

Plenty of no righters in Morningside tbf.

9 hours ago, sophia said:

16 minutes in

Lesley Laird who I learned today is the Shadow Scottish Secretary was interviewed by Gordon Brewer today and my body contorted with cringe for her.

What indeed is the point of Labour?

Wasn't Dickie Leonard similarly clueless over the same issue?

Labour are an utterly pointless rabble :lol:

1 hour ago, jupe1407 said:

Wasn't Dickie Leonard similarly clueless over the same issue?

Labour are an utterly pointless rabble :lol:

Dickie was ready to fight a general election.in the morning......then couldnt name the brexit policy because the manifesto had not been discussed :lol:

11 hours ago, sophia said:

16 minutes in

Lesley Laird who I learned today is the Shadow Scottish Secretary was interviewed by Gordon Brewer today and my body contorted with cringe for her.

Since when did third parties have “shadow secretaries”? Don’t they just have “spokespeople”? Seems like either Labour or the BBC (or both) are still labouring under the delusion - or trying to create the illusion - that the branch office is the major reserve voice of Scotland. It’s not dead, just taking a wee break before resuming the reins.

47 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Since when did third parties have “shadow secretaries”? Don’t they just have “spokespeople”? Seems like either Labour or the BBC (or both) are still labouring under the delusion - or trying to create the illusion - that the branch office is the major reserve voice of Scotland. It’s not dead, just taking a wee break before resuming the reins.

I'm afraid that we're tied into a system whereby Lesley Laird is part of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition.

There are those amongst us that will see no cause to protest at such nonsense.

So does the SNP throw all their resources into scalping Ian Murray for the craic or leave him to it and try to hold their slim majorities elsewhere?

I used to live in the Edinburgh South constituency. We always voted SNP but to be fair to Murray, he’s s decent local MP and I think that’s why he does well. I don’t really see anyone dislodging him but it’s an area with the potential to go full Tory, so I always generally preferred him to the more likely alternative.

16 hours ago, sophia said:

16 minutes in

Maybe she should be accorded some credit for accepting and following her leader's instructions to the letter.

What a car crash of an interview that was though.

16 minutes in
I've never seen a poorer performance by a politician. It was like a scene from "The Thick of It".

Labour's answer to any questions about Brexit is to ignore the question completely and demand a general election. Aye, because you lot are impressive.

Opportunist p***ks, and their current crop seem to be devoid of anyone wuth charisma or , crucially, intelligence.

Utterly clueless and useless.

I've never seen a poorer performance by a politician. It was like a scene from "The Thick of It".

Labour's answer to any questions about Brexit is to ignore the question completely and demand a general election. Aye, because you lot are impressive.

Opportunist p***ks, and their current crop seem to be devoid of anyone wuth charisma or , crucially, intelligence.

Utterly clueless and useless.

It must have been bad if it was worse than Richard Burgon, every time he gets interviewed.