What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

There's something far wrong with Labour's process of electing a leader. Corbyn should never have been in the running in the first place, and yet not only did he win, he managed to increase his majority after the last challenge to his leadership from Owen Smith in 2016.

Had Smith succeeded in his leadership bid, I honestly don't think  the country would be in the mess it is in now.

Surely it's time they had a rethink on their current process of electing the leader, and furthermore asking themselves if Corbyn is the right man for the job?

7 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

There's something far wrong with Labour's process of electing a leader. Corbyn should never have been in the running in the first place, and yet not only did he win, he managed to increase his majority after the last challenge to his leadership from Owen Smith in 2016.

Had Smith succeeded in his leadership bid, I honestly don't think  the country would be in the mess it is in now.

Surely it's time they had a rethink on their current process of electing the leader, and furthermore asking themselves if Corbyn is the right man for the job?

24 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Smith is a centrist and would have lost the 2017 election. That is not a defense of Corbyn.

What they need is a pro EU social democrat leader. They would still be crucified by the press if they had this though.

What they need is someone with Cotbyn’s general politics who is not stubborn and anti EU and who is not a useless twat.

Substituting Corbyn’s grassroots led manifesto for Owen Smith bragging about the size of his knob and pretending that he doesn’t know the name of a latte? I too think an unprecedented surge of voters would have returned to Labour.

11 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Maybe you should f**k off and join the Lib Dems if you want us to choose between the same old right wing shite.

3 minutes ago, Arsenal till I die said:

Maybe you should f**k off and join the Lib Dems if you want us to choose between the same old right wing shite.

It shouldn't be a choice between the "same old right wing shite" - Years of Thatcherism and then Blair have hollowed the Labour party out. Corbyn has the politics but not the leadership qualities. Anyone can be radically left wing, not everyone can lead, and Corbyn is as Corbyn always was - a man of conviction with little to show beyond that.

7 minutes ago, Arsenal till I die said:

I'm happy enough to be a member of the SNP. All I was trying to say was it's a pity May's government doesn't have any opposition.

Your heid's up your arsenal.

5 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I'm happy enough to be a member of the SNP. All I was trying to say was it's a pity May's government doesn't have any opposition.

Your heid's up your arsenal.

I’m a member of the SNP too but I don’t want another right wing labour leader/PM.

31 minutes ago, renton said:

It shouldn't be a choice between the "same old right wing shite" - Years of Thatcherism and then Blair have hollowed the Labour party out. Corbyn has the politics but not the leadership qualities. Anyone can be radically left wing, not everyone can lead, and Corbyn is as Corbyn always was - a man of conviction with little to show beyond that.

It's the tactics that are letting him down in my mind, and those are probably more down to McDonnell. Standing back while a minority Government takes us off the cliff edge with the idea that the blame will all land on the Tories instead of Labour for allowing it to happen. The only people doing anything to stop it are Tories like Dominique Grieve and Nick Boles and Labour backbenchers like Hilary Benn.

The idea that Big Pharma stooge Owen Smith is what we need is absurd.

"Leadership" means nothing it's just rhetoric. What people on the left want is someone to hold power who can be trusted to stand up and confront the banks, multinational corporations, housebuilders, the carbon industry and neocon warmongers in the interest of ordinary people. Corbyn and McDonnell are just about the only two politicians in the country who can be trusted to do that.

Has it occured to anyone that Corbyn has missed these open goals on purpose, because he simply doesn't want to take over what he see's as a sinking ship? He's been a protester his whole life, protesting is all he knows. He isn't a man with workable solutions, so he's quite happy to remain the opposition for as long as possible.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

What people on the left want is someone to hold power who can be trusted to stand up and confront the banks, multinational corporations, housebuilders, the carbon industry and neocon warmongers in the interest of ordinary people. Corbyn and McDonnell are just about the only two politicians in the country who can be trusted to do that.

But they don't want to be in a position of power where they're actually under pressure to do any of that. Which is why they're doing their best against the worst government in history to avoid taking over. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

But they don't want to be in a position of power where they're actually under pressure to do any of that. Which is why they're doing their best against the worst government in history to avoid taking over. :rolleyes:

There is nothing that can be done by Corbyn to force Tory and DUP MPs to vote for an election. 

If they are to vote for an election it will be because of how events play out leading up to April.