Will Scotland ever be good again?

Huttons one of those weird ones where he was both better than a lot of people say, but also worse than some people say.

He was a great bombarding full back for us who never done it consistently over his career.

Probably sacrilege but while I think Hickey is a better footballer, I prefer the type of full back Hutton was and think that type would cause chaos in our current set up. Patterson looks like he could be that type, but even better, if he keeps progressing.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Patterson looks like he could be that type, but even better, if he keeps progressing.

What I’ve seen so far from Patterson hasn’t been that great. 
One of the poorest players in the EPL in  his position. Admittedly he is playing in a poor Everton team but he’s not been a standout in any games. 
I watch a lot of Everton games and I’d love to see him progress but he has a long way to go. IMHO. Perhaps your graphs & stats will show otherwise. 

Some of the posts in the first few pages of this thread merit some sort of psychological assessment.

Imagine twisting things to convince yourself that the nation you support is / always has been rubbishn when that demonstrably isn't the case.

Must take a certain kind of madness.

8 hours ago, Molotov said:

What I’ve seen so far from Patterson hasn’t been that great. 
One of the poorest players in the EPL in  his position. Admittedly he is playing in a poor Everton team but he’s not been a standout in any games. 
I watch a lot of Everton games and I’d love to see him progress but he has a long way to go. IMHO. Perhaps your graphs & stats will show otherwise. 

Would have said the same about Robertson's time at Hull in the Barclays but it worked out to be a great education. Fairly sure he was in and out the team at the time and was considered not good enough defensively to begin with.

Hopefully Patterson is just getting a similar education from Dycheball, maybe relegation to the Championship would work out well for him as well tbh

Read this thread last night and found it quite interesting.

Reasons given for Scotland never being good again:

Xbox

Public facilities being too expensive

Coaching

Being technically inferior to Lithuania

Lack of poverty

Not being middle class enough

Jobs for the boys

Lack of indoor facilities like Iceland

Project Brave

Playing on big pitches at a young age

Celtic and Rangers signing all the best players

Not capping young players early enough so they don't have enough caps

Not completely disbanding the team to give youngsters a chance

Armstrong, Tierney and Robertson not being technical enough

It's good to see we've sorted all of that out in the space of 5 years tbh

Hutton was never that great defensively, but going forward he was unreal. Recency bias is clouding folk's judgement here as he was a shadow of himself in his latter caps.

Before he broke his leg (again) at Spurs he was an unstoppable force in attack. The Italy game is cited often, but there were many times after that where he would make 50-70 yards from nothing. Injuries absolutely fucked him. He's a very different fullback to Hickey. Hickey is technical and a superb 1v1 defender, but I'd still take Hutton for the excitement factor.

9 hours ago, immcinto said:

So which pre-Clarke players since 2003 would displace the current first picks? You can take them at their peak. 

Gordon? Weir? Maybe Hutton?

McFadden. Tough on who to drop I grant you but, at his peak, magical.  

Kenny Miller, we know that strikers is not our strong suit atm. 

28 minutes ago, Stoo61 said:

McFadden. Tough on who to drop I grant you but, at his peak, magical.  

Kenny Miller, we know that strikers is not our strong suit atm. 

McFadden was great for that level of team and lovely to watch, but he was never a Premier League standard player. Struggled at Everton.

Kenny Miller , maybe

10 hours ago, immcinto said:

So which pre-Clarke players since 2003 would displace the current first picks? You can take them at their peak. 

Gordon? Weir? Maybe Hutton?

Darren Fletcher is the obvious shout, at his 2008-10 pre-injury peak there are very few teams in Europe he wouldn't be a starter for.

Edited by Dunning1874

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Darren Fletcher is the obvious shout, at his 2008-10 pre-injury peak there are very few teams in Europe he wouldn't be a starter for.

I'd agree with this. I'm surprised at the lack of love he's getting here - a magnificent player before his illness got the better of him.

Peak Hutton deserves a place too, and I'd be onboard with McFadden in the squad.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

There was a reason SAF trusted him in the big games. Probably closest thing we had to a “world class” player when I was growing up. (Not saying he was world class) 

Reckon you’d have Kenny Miller in the squad but would he start over Dykes/Adams? Not sure. Would fit into the pressing sort of style but not sure he was a better overall player. Hutton and Mcfadden would be in too for me. Hickey and Hutton could team up like Tierney and Robertson do on the left IMO 

4 hours ago, immcinto said:

McFadden was great for that level of team and lovely to watch, but he was never a Premier League standard player. Struggled at Everton.

Kenny Miller , maybe

I think that's pretty harsh.  He struggled with injuries but still managed 150+ games in the EPL and was at Everton for 5 seasons.  He was always quite mercurial but scored some brilliant goals (albeit maybe not quite enough of them for the talent he had on his day).