The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

11 minutes ago, Anonapersona said:

I once watched a youtube video on Sixteen Candles and how shockingly racist it was for today's audience.

I haven't actually saw the movie and I'm not sure why youtube thought to put this in my recommended. But I watched it anyways, so apparently they know something I don't.

Now I have the urge to watch Airplane!

I'm OK with John Hughes' films being banned TBVQHWY.

1 hour ago, Richie said:

The life of Brian isn't about Jesus though and is therefore not blasphemous.

Yeah, but apparently the Bishop and his sidekick in that debate, although they watched the film before the debate, happened to have missed the first 15 minutes of it.

30 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

Yeah, but apparently the Bishop and his sidekick in that debate, although they watched the film before the debate, happened to have missed the first 15 minutes of it.

I think they got pished on Brandy in the green room and agreed they could swat aside these whippersnappers nae bother.

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

Mel Brooks doesn't seem to think so. Then again, there's a certain amount of self-aggrandisement when the old-timers start claiming they're too edgy for modern sensibilities.

I'm pretty sure that, in the vast majority of cases, the whole "You couldn't get away with that now" thing is bollocks. Everything is cyclical; if a western comedy about farting and racial politics isn't a massively popular idea with audiences/investors, give it five minutes.

would Tropic Thunder get the green-light today I wonder?

8 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

would Tropic Thunder get the green-light today I wonder?

Elevator pitch-

"Picture this: the world's worst movie, just two hours of smug p***ks smelling their own farts without any redeeming features. Plus blackface" 

"next!" 

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Thought you meant West Side Story. 

Haven't seen it. Would it not get released these days too?

When I'm older I'm gonna post dreadful memes saying that some bland Marvel flick wouldn't get made in 2052.

57 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Haven't seen it. Would it not get released these days too?

When I'm older I'm gonna post dreadful memes saying that some bland Marvel flick wouldn't get made in 2052.

It's based on Romeo and Juliet which is about some Italian trying to get jiggy with a 14 year old, along with self harm and suicide themes. West Side Story is another Oscar contender, with racial conflict stuff added on.

On 07/02/2022 at 12:08, Suspect Device said:

His explanation after the joke.

I watched the whole show last night to get the context of the joke. The whole point of the show was explaining that the act is the abhorrent thing, not the joke.

There were plenty rape, cancer, disability jokes to offend everyone but only the holocaust one went viral.

I see the Javid is calling for a boycott on Carr. Yet he is perfectly happy to work for a Boris 'Piccaninny Watermelon Letterbox Bumboys' Johnson © Stewart Lee

Watched it last night and struggled to stay awake to the end, Chubby Brown style sex jokes in the main. The "controversial" jokes took up the last ten minutes, best bit of the show. 

On 09/02/2022 at 15:48, welshbairn said:

It's based on Romeo and Juliet which is about some Italian trying to get jiggy with a 14 year old, along with self harm and suicide themes. West Side Story is another Oscar contender, with racial conflict stuff added on.

Greenie for being the first person I’ve seen use the phrase “get jiggy” in about fifteen years.

14 hours ago, Antlion said:

Greenie for being the first person I’ve seen use the phrase “get jiggy” in about fifteen years.

Never mind the movies. A few years ago there were complaints about a kiss in an episode of Dr Who between a human female and Madame Vastra, a Silurian.  In a later episode, Vastra said something about not knowing what Jenny saw in her, just before Vastra's tongue shot half way across the room. That probably went right over the heads of the "outraged of Basingstoke" brigade. 😆