Aberdeen vs Rangers - Opening game of the season

5 minutes ago, akredz said:

So Shay Logan gets a red and a 3 game ban for putting a hand on a player,   but it's apparently ok for Morelos to kick a  player .

I know we all moan about refs, but this kind of decision by the panel is going to just make things even harder for them.   Just how hard  do you have to kick someone to get sent off then?

Kicked a player, really?

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quotes and responses:
We were absolutely awful:  You were.  I was surprised at how poor Aberdeen were.
You were very average:  We weren't as good as some fans are saying elsewhere but we were the better team for most of the game and showed improvement over last season.  We've got better but you've got worse.
Morelos however lost his head not for the first time..  He did and this is to his demerit, again.   He really needs to grow up.  He either has to ignore McKenna or fall to the ground clutching his face.  The former being the preferred option.
Ridiculous decision to rescind it.  Not really.  It was a clearly ridiculous red card.

Your response to the first three points are fair enough.

It wasn’t a ridiculous red card though, he lashed out however much he connected with McKenna. As you say his reaction to mckenna’s barges is stupid in the extreme. Being provoked doesn’t mean he should get off with it. He reacted and paid the price. I’m very surprised it’s been rescinded.

Actually Rangers stopped the sheep from playing and beardy looked pretty clueless despite his team's two man advantage.
Painting Morelos as a hothead, not buying that. The review got it correct.

You’re quite frankly boring, no offence.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It wasn’t a ridiculous red card though, he lashed out however much he connected with McKenna. As you say his reaction to mckenna’s barges is stupid in the extreme. Being provoked doesn’t mean he should get off with it. He reacted and paid the price. I’m very surprised it’s been rescinded.

Until we evolve refereeing to the extent that we allow them natural justice and to administer a swift boot in the baws to both players for being cretins then we have to rely on the card system.

In this case a yellow apiece would have been fine.

Until we evolve refereeing to the extent that we allow them natural justice and to administer a swift boot in the baws to both players for being cretins then we have to rely on the card system.
In this case a yellow apiece would have been fine.

A shoulder barge vs kicking out has never been considered the same level of offence. McKenna got to him and he couldn’t take it.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

A shoulder barge vs kicking out has never been considered the same level of offence. McKenna got to him and he couldn’t take it.

You are right.  Doing it once was fine.  Doing it twice was bizarre.  

34 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

This is it. The wee nyaff is going to get his nipples tweaked till he pops, by everybody, all season and it'll probably cost them second. 

In terms of the rescinding it's got f**k all to do with the referees, its the panel system. Like VAR it should be about correcting mistakes, clear and obvious errors like mistaken identity. Unfortunately it's a committee re-making the decision as a whole. 

You can disagree that it's a red (and be wrong about that) but it wasn't a mistake. He did kick him so Clancy is perfectly entitled to make that decision, and in my view rescinding these types of things just undermines officials generally.  Asking 1 ex official and 2 "football men" to make a value judgement on whether a kick up the hoop is excessive or not is a fucking nonsense. Guaranteed there'll be more of this and some kind of ridiculous role reversal irony later in the season, and heads will explode.  Probably mine.

But I really don't like undermining the panel system as it's the basis for my application to get Shay 'the honest' Logan beatified.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Sorry have I been dropped into a parallel universe where volleying someone off the ball is debatable as to whether or not it’s violent conduct?

You have indeed. It's the SFA's Scottish Football World, a universe frozen in time during the 17th century where they only exist to serve two mutant masters and the normal rules of a modern, civilised society don't exist. 

4 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

You have indeed. It's the SFA's Scottish Football World, a universe frozen in time during the 17th century where they only exist to serve two mutant masters and the normal rules of a modern, civilised society don't exist. 

They dropped a bollock sending him off in the first place, then. 

2 hours ago, bennett said:

Actually Rangers stopped the sheep from playing and beardy looked pretty clueless despite his team's two man advantage.

Painting Morelos as a hothead, not buying that. The review got it correct.

I am intrigued by Rangers people continually saying that the officials were “against” Rangers on Sunday. The linesman at the Main Stand side indicated  to the referee that Morelos kicked McKenna. The same linesman failed to see that Coulibaly was offside just before the anti-Rangers referee gave a penalty to....ehm.......Rangers. How does that actually work in these people’s heads?

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

I could almost have said that you had a point (albeit one i disagree with) but you lost all credibility by using american spelling. 

You're right, I apologise for that - poor from me.  

Shall we just call it a booking? 

43 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I am intrigued by Rangers people continually saying that the officials were “against” Rangers on Sunday. The linesman at the Main Stand side indicated  to the referee that Morelos kicked McKenna. The same linesman failed to see that Coulibaly was offside just before the anti-Rangers referee gave a penalty to....ehm.......Rangers. How does that actually work in these people’s heads?

The decision has been overturned, it was wrong.

Ball should have been sent off at the penalty, I could go on...

5 minutes ago, bennett said:

The decision has been overturned, it was wrong.

Ball should have been sent off at the penalty, I could go on...

Outrageous to overturn the red card - almost as outrageous as the Scott Brown red at Ross County being overturned last season. These tits run scared of the OF. I get how refs and linesman make mistakes in real-time. But how the F with all the time, video evidence and guidance they come to these review decisions is ( almost) a mystery. If you kick out petulantly  - and connect, with the ball not even in the same post-code, it's viiolent conduct and a straight red. Simple. Okay, McKenna should have been given a retrospective yellow (or even red ?) for his ridiculous wind-up shoulder barge on Morelos. And yes Ball should have been a red. But Morelos rescinded.... deary, deary me. Wonder what Laff erty thinks ?

Just noticed that Michael clever& articulate Stewart has tweeted that the Morelos red card was correct and that the SFA tribunal got it wrong.

Looks like I got this one wrong guys, sorry...

25 minutes ago, bennett said:

Just noticed that Michael clever& articulate Stewart has tweeted that the Morelos red card was correct and that the SFA tribunal got it wrong.

Looks like I got this one wrong guys, sorry...

You're in your forties and live in a bedsit

You have gotten a whole lot worse wrong Vicky

2 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Outrageous to overturn the red card - almost as outrageous as the Scott Brown red at Ross County being overturned last season. These tits run scared of the OF. I get how refs and linesman make mistakes in real-time. But how the F with all the time, video evidence and guidance they come to these review decisions is ( almost) a mystery. If you kick out petulantly  - and connect, with the ball not even in the same post-code, it's viiolent conduct and a straight red. Simple. Okay, McKenna should have been given a retrospective yellow (or even red ?) for his ridiculous wind-up shoulder barge on Morelos. And yes Ball should have been a red. But Morelos rescinded.... deary, deary me. Wonder what Laff erty thinks ?

Why should Ball have been sent off? Unless they changed the rules back again denying a goal scoring opportunity on its own isn’t a red card offence unless the foul Itself was severe enough to be worth a red card. So as it was a shirt pull it would have been a yellow card at worst.

I'm not going comment on the red card even though imo it was a red for El Huffalo and a yellow for McKenna.

The upside is that Sevco had to play 80 mins a man down at Pittodrie and now the South American donkey is available to play against St Mirren and might still be a man down with him in the squad. :)

43 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Why should Ball have been sent off? Unless they changed the rules back again denying a goal scoring opportunity on its own isn’t a red card offence unless the foul on its own was severe enough to be worth a red card. So as it was a shirt pull it would have been a yellow card at worst.

That's incorrect. http://www.theifab.com/laws/fouls-and-misconduct/chapters/disciplinary-action

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

Archived