Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

935 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Does the 'petty and ill-informed' not go back about 20 years to when they were accused of being just that by some authority figure like Farry or whoever? They just decided to wear it as a badge of honour IIRC.

Yes

It was quite funny at the time, but that was a long time ago

1 hour ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

But, (or as Tam would say bu-ut), haven't most shows got a shelf life? 

You think they've done nothing but add to Scottish Football? 

Easy to slag it, but If Stuart or Tam give it up, one of two things will happen: someone like Jane Lewis or Chick Young will take over permanently; or you'll get an hour more insight from Packie Bonner and Willie Miller on SportSound.

When I think of the alternatives I like Off the Ball a lot more.

1 hour ago, HooseLee said:

He does like the des Lawson approach to humour.  You're right about every thing having a shelf life.  If he mentions paul daniels saving him again, it should be stopped.  He might not always come back with a fantastic line, but he is very quick witted.  I don't know anyone in the Scottish media who has his ability to give it back as quick.   

Off topic a wee bit   dont you think that sport scene is past it with the current lot? It might be a bit early for them, but I'd rather see the guys from view from the terrace start doing the main radio Scotland show on a Saturday.  Maybe not ready for it yet, but got to be better than 'biscuits' etc.  I'd rather replace those on sportcene than get rid of off the ball.   

He will, sooner rather than later,  mention Paul Daniels in Blackpool, that's a given,  that's not the point. 

We are in 2020, Tam (with Cosgrove's consent) is still in the 70's.

They are absolutely STEALING a wage from the BBC. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Easy to slag it, but If Stuart or Tam give it up, one of two things will happen: someone like Jane Lewis or Chick Young will take over permanently; or you'll get an hour more insight from Packie Bonner and Willie Miller on SportSound.

When I think of the alternatives I like Off the Ball a lot more.

I'm thinking you're a 'glass half empty' kind of guy. 

I enjoy it. Can understand why it’s not everybody’s cup of tea, right enough. That being said it would be harsh to be too critical of the show the last couple of weeks when there’s been absolutely f**k all football.

They did an interview with Si Ferry on OpenGoal for the 25th anniversary a few months back and it kind of showed the two of them in a different light, they clearly act up a bit on OTB but I thought they came across quite interesting in that interview. Worth a listen. 

We need an absolute car crash phone in that's not been seen since the days of the Traynor phone in. That man used to get me absolutely seething with the way he treated the few non-morons that phoned in.

33 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

He will, sooner rather than later,  mention Paul Daniels in Blackpool, that's a given,  that's not the point. 

We are in 2020, Tam (with Cosgrove's consent) is still in the 70's.

They are absolutely STEALING a wage from the BBC. 

I can't agree about them stealing a wage...  there are a lot of people earning more from the bbc and contributing less.  You also have to remember that it has a wide demographic and tam delivers for a lot of them.  I understand if folk dont think it's funny but I think its difficult to dislike them.   It's also on at midday.  Folk say if you ever see tam performing at an event you'll see how good he is.   It's a lot better than the 19th hole humour you get from biscuits, dodds etc.   If you club was in trouble tam would be one of the first to help out   though probably steal something on the way out  not his fault he has a Motherwell upbringing.   

We need an absolute car crash phone in that's not been seen since the days of the Traynor phone in. That man used to get me absolutely seething with the way he treated the few non-morons that phoned in.
I am sure Traynor misses the days where he got to address the occassional non-moron in a professional capacity.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

He was just a twat who thought the shock jock approach was edgy... f**k off ya fat bassa traynor.   He was rank at the phone in  it was more talk radio than bbc Scotland  

1 hour ago, HooseLee said:

I can't agree about them stealing a wage...  there are a lot of people earning more from the bbc and contributing less.  You also have to remember that it has a wide demographic and tam delivers for a lot of them.  I understand if folk dont think it's funny but I think its difficult to dislike them.   It's also on at midday.  Folk say if you ever see tam performing at an event you'll see how good he is.   It's a lot better than the 19th hole humour you get from biscuits, dodds etc.   If you club was in trouble tam would be one of the first to help out   though probably steal something on the way out  not his fault he has a Motherwell upbringing.   

You've just put into words what I was trying to put into words. 

Tam is an absolute waste of space. 

Now, please, own up. You are Tam, and you're on here as an alias, and you're trying to defend the utter mess that is Off The Ball. 

24 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Now, please, own up. You are Tam, and you're on here as an alias, and you're trying to defend the utter mess that is Off The Ball. 

I'm his ma!  That's why I know he is a thieving bassa.  Did he give your old mans cafe a bad review? Or did your ma run away with a fat speccy guy? 

Only joking.  Though I'm surprised at your venom for him.  

Edited by HooseLee

39 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Quite enjoy Tam. Fairly inoffensive, does a massive amount for clubs if they're in trouble and is absolutely nowhere near being the worst on BBC. Don't know if that's indicative of the quality of Off the Ball or the content BBC generally produce though.

Guest JTS98
On 30/03/2020 at 08:02, effeffsee_the2nd said:

a lot of the stories and references are from quite a long time ago,  by players who have long long since retired . By now in 2020  you'd have to be in your late 20's or older to remember pretty much any football from the 90s with any kind of clarity, mid 30's or older for motherwells 91 cup win and over 40 to remember  willie miller  kick a baw in anger.

I think this is a fair point, the references are stuck in a certain era. I think that's just a result of no younger blood being involved.

I met a Hearts supporter in the pub a couple of months ago who had no idea what we were talking about when we were laughing about the Real Mallorca Cup Winners Cup scandal of 1998 and who had never seen John Colquhoun play. This man is a grown adult with a university degree, a job, a wife, and a child.

I think it's easy to forget that young people don't get all our references, and this has happened to OTB. I'm 35 and have no original memories of Motherwell winning the cup.

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

I'm 35 and have no original memories of Motherwell winning the cup.

If you listen to Off The Ball long enough, you will hear about every kick of the ball from the first to the hundred and twentieth minute. 

I'm in my late forties and the younger guys in my office frequently give me blank looks as they have no idea about the cultural reference I have just used. Recent example was something about "The Last Rolo". It seems perfectly normal to me but nothing to anyone 15 or 20 years younger.

I quite enjoy OTB when I listen to it but I'm of an age to get what they're saying but they need younger blood as they've a younger generation.

10 hours ago, HooseLee said:

Only joking.  Though I'm surprised at your venom for him.  

Christ I was drunk last night. Honestly don't remember posting anything on here. 

OTB is something very petty that gets on my nerves more than it should. I finally stopped tuning in regularly a few years ago. Occasionally  I'll give it another  go but rarely last more than 10 minutes. It hasn't changed, and with these two showing no sign of moving on, it's not going to change.

Each to their own though, if they entertain you, fine. 

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm in my late forties and the younger guys in my office frequently give me blank looks as they have no idea about the cultural reference I have just used. Recent example was something about "The Last Rolo". It seems perfectly normal to me but nothing to anyone 15 or 20 years younger.

I quite enjoy OTB when I listen to it but I'm of an age to get what they're saying but they need younger blood as they've a younger generation.

Yes, I need to remind myself of this often.

The ongoing Frank McAvennie stuff on Only an Excuse, would be like some comedy routine about Tom Finney when I was a kid.  It would have meant nothing.

1 hour ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Christ I was drunk last night. Honestly don't remember posting anything on here. 

OTB is something very petty that gets on my nerves more than it should. I finally stopped tuning in regularly a few years ago. Occasionally  I'll give it another  go but rarely last more than 10 minutes. It hasn't changed, and with these two showing no sign of moving on, it's not going to change.

Each to their own though, if they entertain you, fine. 

Getting drunk is no excuse for accusing me of being that fat, speccy Motherwell fan.... you accused me of being tam   you're lucky I can't fight...