Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Listened for a few years on the way to games but i haven't regularly listened for a while now. As others have said, they only really have about 5 reference points and you're guaranteed to hear at least 2 of them every episode. I'm in my 20s myself so can vouch that whilst i get most of the 40 year old references they're just a bit tiresome and reek of an auld guy in the pub who repeats the same patter every night, although i suppose that's maybe what they're aiming for.  It's only natural that if they've been on for 25 years everyone will have heard all their stories, but you can pretty much predict what they'll say and make reference to on any topic now. 

Having said that i understand that i'm probably not in their target audience, and it might still be popular with folk around their age but at this point for me it's just background noise if i'm in the car as opposed to something i'd make a point of listening to. 

Edited by Fratelli

11 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm in my late forties and the younger guys in my office frequently give me blank looks as they have no idea about the cultural reference I have just used. Recent example was something about "The Last Rolo". It seems perfectly normal to me but nothing to anyone 15 or 20 years younger.

I quite enjoy OTB when I listen to it but I'm of an age to get what they're saying but they need younger blood as they've a younger generation.

Yup, absolutely this...it's all relative to the time (and sometimes place) your references relate.

I'm retired now but my former colleagues would give me exactly those looks when I said stuff like "Awww, you'd do it for Randolph Scott"...

11 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm in my late forties and the younger guys in my office frequently give me blank looks as they have no idea about the cultural reference I have just used. Recent example was something about "The Last Rolo". It seems perfectly normal to me but nothing to anyone 15 or 20 years younger.

I quite enjoy OTB when I listen to it but I'm of an age to get what they're saying but they need younger blood as they've a younger generation.

An OTB Scrappy Doo?

Guest Moomintroll
Yup, absolutely this...it's all relative to the time (and sometimes place) your references relate.
I'm retired now but my former colleagues would give me exactly those looks when I said stuff like "Awww, you'd do it for Randolph Scott"...
To be fair if someone looked blankly at me after I said that, I would send them home with instructions not to come back until they have watched Blazing Saddles.

On 30/03/2020 at 14:13, HooseLee said:

You mind not find him funny but you can't deny his quick wit.    all the things to get annoyed about in Scottish football, off the ball isn't one of them.  He does repeat the same old jokes, but it's his quick put downs when someone gets wide with him.  I'm grateful for the both of them.  I think they've done nothing but add to Scottish football.  

Go home Tam, your drunk

About a year ago I was becoming a bit bored of Off The Ball (as a subscriber to the podcast, I haven't missed any of their edited episodes in probably 4 or 5 years) and a bit sick of Tam (his constant interrupting of every other person on the show) and, in particular, Stuart (who seemed to be trying far too hard to remind the listener that he is a University educated, London experienced, high-brow former Channel 4 employee etc.).  

Then, in May last year, Chick Young guest-hosted the show... and I realised just how much worse things could get and I vowed never to complain about Tam and Stuart again!

There have been dozens of new Scottish football shows/podcasts launched in the last couple of years - and I doubt any of them will survive 25 months, never mind 25 years.

An OTB Scrappy Doo?
To be fair, Scrappy Doo was an abomination in the Scooby Doo series.

My cultural references in the office weren't helped by the one guy of a similar age to me being Irish. Music was generally ok but tv references were a bit hit and miss, particularly adverts. The Irish guy was obviously completely onto plums when he started talking about Irish tv adverts from 30 odd years ago, resulting in internal emails linking to shite YouTube clips.

I listen tonight in the car home from work ( key worker you’re welcome) and for once they weren’t actually slavering shite and telling auld jokes. A proper discussion about how to finish the season and how to take Scottish football forward post corona, I don’t know who the guest was but I thought he spoke well too. The consensus finally is what ive said on here for years.
Domination is boring
The current set up facilitates it
It has also gotten stale
This is a golden open for change and shouldn’t be missed . Something I thought about the rangers liquidation debacle and the huse dissapointment when the league tried to return to business as usuas Asap

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I listen tonight in the car home from work ( key worker you’re welcome) and for once they weren’t actually slavering shite and telling auld jokes. A proper discussion about how to finish the season and how to take Scottish football forward post corona, I don’t know who the guest was but I thought he spoke well too. The consensus finally is what ive said on here for years.
Domination is boring
The current set up facilitates it
It has also gotten stale
This is a golden open for change and shouldn’t be missed . Something I thought about the rangers liquidation debacle and the huse dissapointment when the league tried to return to business as usuas Asap

Michael Stewart.

They are trying to be innovative in a period when there is bugger all football news to talk about, apart from the obvious.

Thought the number 1s on significant dates for your team was excellent fun.

Livingston coupled with Toxic is so appropriate.....................

On 01/04/2020 at 11:43, Archie McSquackle said:

I probably wouldn't be too impressed by their bluntness but I really couldn't take issue with any of that. And no, I'm not Tam Cowan.

It's like the opposite of Spartacus.   'I'm no tam Cowan!' ...