Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

911 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tam is slagging off Teuchters today. Specifically the boy Liam presenting with him. He’s now rowing back from that but he’s probably too late to save the angry texts from folk from the Highlands and Islands.

No danger I would swap Tam for Chic Young.

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Tam is slagging off Teuchters today. Specifically the boy Liam presenting with him. He’s now rowing back from that but he’s probably too late to save the angry texts from folk from the Highlands and Islands.

No danger I would swap Tam for Chic Young.

He’s truly awful ain’t he

2 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Tam Cowan is a fucking imbecile.

Scotland is littered with fucking imbeciles. The BBC have to cater for all groups and a majority group like that really must be adequately  represented.

1 minute ago, Clown Job said:

He’s truly awful ain’t he

Chic really is the pits. When I hear the people they invite in to accompany either Cosgrove or Tam it makes me appreciate the original format more.

On 29/03/2022 at 09:32, razamanaz said:

I always like Chic Young on the wireless, he's obviously enthusiastic about Scottish football, and enjoyed him on OTB.

This is the worst call ever - in order to present a radio show, you have to be able to speak - might as well get Frank McAvennie to co-present, and that would be two incoherent c***s.

I always say the original Off The Ball with Greg Hemphill and Sanjeev Kohli was best, and I don't even think they'e football guys - I would draw the line at Ford Kiernan, though.

How Chic Young ever got on the radio at all remains a mystery. 

8 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Tam Cowan is a fucking imbecile.

Had to switch it off today - absolute cringefest from Cowan. Can only enjoy the show when he is replaced by anyone else. At least Cosgrove actually engages with the guests and attempts to get some insight. Cowan is all just me,me,me. Whoever told this balloon he was funny.

9 minutes ago, Buzzbomb said:

Had to switch it off today - absolute cringefest from Cowan. Can only enjoy the show when he is replaced by anyone else. At least Cosgrove actually engages with the guests and attempts to get some insight. Cowan is all just me,me,me. Whoever told this balloon he was funny.

Really? I think Tam is on fire today, with Jonathan Sutherland.

Which proves the point, Tam and Cosgrove are better apart!!

I think that over the past few years Tam Cowan has become more bitter and angry (think the time he, rightly, got called out for the rubbish article about women's football started it). In every single show he talks about how you "can't say/do that anymore", despite the vast majority of things he mentions being absolutely fine. It hints at a more sinister motive sometimes.

He seems to waging a one sided culture war. There are often times where he genuinely seems quite angry at something and has a small rant or go at someone before cooling down. Happens most shows.

Also, his skin has gotten much, much thinner. He used to be able to laugh off and fire back a bit when folk would slag him, but now he seems increasingly annoyed by it, and it seems to get him to much easier. Perhaps, understandably, years of it (anyone in a public facing role will have received a slagging, deserved or not) have worn him down. Can't be fun to have folk slagging you on a regular basis, and I don't blame anyone for getting fed up of it, but maybe find a better outlet if your show may suffer for it.

His act is really wearying now. His jokes, anecdotes and tropes are all pretty tired now, and being annoyed at the modern world isn't really cutting it. 

Sadly the focus on Sevco and Celtic is ever increasing. There's at least one feature on them every single show, and so much is linked back to them now. This is an easy fix and sadly suggests a lack of desire to sort. 

There's still some fun to be had though, and he does have some amusing moments and jokes. I suppose that when any show is closing in on three decades it is hard to keep things fresh.

Edited by DA Baracus

The issue isn’t that you play music from older generations Tam.

It’s that the music you pick is utter shite

Edit: Has a pop at Amy Irons choosing Titanium, then hits outs with The Laughing Policeman

Good grief 

Edited by Clown Job

Tam Cowan must genuinely think that OTB's target audience comprises folk in their 60s from the WoS.  There can be no other reason for him being that genuinely awful.  Quite enjoyed Cosgrove calling him out on his WoS-blinkers the other week.

Show improves ten-fold whenever Cosgrove gets paired with somebody else.

11 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Tam Cowan must genuinely think that OTB's target audience comprises folk in their 60s from the WoS.  There can be no other reason for him being that genuinely awful.  Quite enjoyed Cosgrove calling him out on his WoS-blinkers the other week.

Show improves ten-fold whenever Cosgrove gets paired with somebody else.

Folk in their 60’s from the 1980’s perhaps 

On 02/04/2022 at 13:52, Scary Bear said:

I think Tam has been fine today too. What were folk expecting from him today that didn’t meet expectations?

Nothing didn't meet expectations. Tam was Tam. We got what we expected (I'll admit I turned off at 12.30 but I doubt if there was any seismic change in Tam's presentation for the rest of the show). He's the guy sitting at the end of the bar shouting opinions and demanding attention, whilst everybody else thinks 'what utter shite is that guy havering about?'