Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

911 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 09/09/2018 at 15:18, williemillersmoustache said:

I agree that it's past its prime but I shudder to think what would one day replace it.

Doddsy Boydsy and Jig do 2 hours of ZANY soccer bantz.

Be grateful for what you have.

It hasn't got better, it has probably got worse but this is still true. 

On 10/04/2022 at 14:23, tamthebam said:

The fact that a show that was originally launched as "alternative", perhaps the radio equivalent of "The Absolute Game" fanzine in that it covered diddy clubs quite often, now has "tropes" and chunters on about Rangers and Celtic who get enough coverage elsewhere is the problem. 

Respect " TAG "

Is that you Erchie ?

I still like it to be honest, and have bonded with it even more in the last couple of years. In the original lockdown back in March 2020, everyone was shitting themselves due to Covid and obsessing over the TV news. OTB brought a bit of normality back and kept the spirits up in pretty bleak times imo.

I think part of its charm is that they are dinosaurs - petty and ill-informed, having the same conversations and jokes weekly. It's a kind of comfort, like going to the pub with your mates.

Back in the day they used to have impressions/sketches interspersed throughout - I miss that aspect.

Edited by Craigybroonhereforaparty

16 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

Off the ball used to end at 1300 for Sportsound to begin.  This 14:00 is a recent development, probably down to more cuts, same as we can't even have a daily podcast any longer. 

Radio Clyde has more interest now it seems than Sportsound. 

I'll take your word for that.

2 hours ago, Craigybroonhereforaparty said:

I still like it to be honest, and have bonded with it even more in the last couple of years. In the original lockdown back in March 2020, everyone was shitting themselves due to Covid and obsessing over the TV news. OTB brought a bit of normality back and kept the spirits up in pretty bleak times imo.

I think part of its charm is that they are dinosaurs - petty and ill-informed, having the same conversations and jokes weekly. It's a kind of comfort, like going to the pub with your mates.

Back in the day they used to have impressions/sketches interspersed throughout - I miss that aspect.

The funny thing about the sketches is that the voices sounded nothing like the person in question. 

4 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

It's a load of turgid shite that could be played with a stale loaf of bread would be my guess.

I like most sports to be honest but watching my team Motherwell in the SPL can be much worse than even a bad rugby match tbh 🙂. And much less skill. 

I think my point is that he always goes out of his way to say he doesn't like it. I would bet he has never watched it in his puff or never even tried. He just likes saying he doesn't like it along with English football. 

13 minutes ago, andyg83 said:

I like most sports to be honest but watching my team Motherwell in the SPL can be much worse than even a bad rugby match tbh 🙂. And much less skill. 

I think my point is that he always goes out of his way to say he doesn't like it. I would bet he has never watched it in his puff or never even tried. He just likes saying he doesn't like it along with English football. 

He says these things because he doesn't like and has no interest in sport, football included.  

I don't particularly like rugby because I was made to play it from the age of 10. Specs off in the pishing rain having no idea what I was doing and stuck in the front row of the scrum too. 

Tam may be the same - there was the odd mad Council school that played rugby (e.g. Boroughmuir) instead of football. 

Which reminds me: Add Tam's football cup final with the BBs at Fir Park to the list of tropes too.  

57 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I don't particularly like rugby because I was made to play it from the age of 10. Specs off in the pishing rain having no idea what I was doing and stuck in the front row of the scrum too. 

Tam may be the same - there was the odd mad Council school that played rugby (e.g. Boroughmuir) instead of football. 

Which reminds me: Add Tam's football cup final with the BBs at Fir Park to the list of tropes too. He

27 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Rugby Union wasn't aimed at people like Tam before 1995.

Substitute 'Sport' for 'Rugby Union' , 'isn't' for 'wasn't' and delete 'before 1995' and you have summed up Cowan perfectly.