Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

909 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tam with his old favourite from 15 to 1 when he was at school (seriously who even watched that) when the guy answered the question of the "official name for Mexico" as "Meh - he - co".

Honestly can almost recite the story word for word. 

He also had Amarillo by Tony Christie as one of the songs.

It's a song that I instantly associate with Cowan as it is outdated and utterly dreadful 😀 Right up (or down) there with his other stuff in other words. 

As someone else on here said he's about the same age as Noel Gallagher but he listens to music my papa liked!!!

9 hours ago, andyg83 said:

It's a song that I instantly associate with Cowan as it is outdated and utterly dreadful 😀 Right up (or down) there with his other stuff in other words. 

As someone else on here said he's about the same age as Noel Gallagher but he listens to music my papa liked!!!

Nothing wrong with liking so called 'easy listening' from before you were born if it's the good stuff like Tony Bennett or Sinatra's Capitol recordings but with Tam Cowan it's always the lowest common Humperdinck or Tony Christie or Christian denominator. Also why has he no love or knowledge of the history of Motherwell. He whitters on about to the 1991 cup win yet never mentions them being champions in 1932 (a greater achievement) or indeed their first cup win in 1952. 

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The best quiz show there has even been with the most knowledgeable quiz host there's ever been? Plenty, I'd imagine.

1536.thumb.jpg.de86bfd8ac8d07462b63115b5a154a31.jpg

Now, Question or Nominate?

Aye it was on just after I got in from school too. A superb quiz.

12 hours ago, andyg83 said:

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Nothing wrong with liking so called 'easy listening' from before you were born if it's the good stuff like Tony Bennett or Sinatra's Capitol recordings but with Tam Cowan it's always the lowest common Humperdinck or Tony Christie or Christian denominator. Also why has he no love or knowledge of the history of Motherwell. He whitters on about to the 1991 cup win yet never mentions them being champions in 1932 (a greater achievement) or indeed their first cup win in 1952. 

A fan of bands like Pere Ubu, Captain Beefheart etc might say Noel and Oasis is easy listening.

4 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

. Also why has he no love or knowledge of the history of Motherwell. He whitters on about to the 1991 cup win yet never mentions them being champions in 1932 (a greater achievement) or indeed their first cup win in 1952. 

Possibly because these achievments were before he was born.

He was at the 1991 Cup Final so it will be a lot more memorable to him.

4 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Also why has he no love or knowledge of the history of Motherwell. He whitters on about to the 1991 cup win yet never mentions them being champions in 1932 (a greater achievement) or indeed their first cup win in 1952. 

1 minute ago, RiffRaff said:

Aye. It's fair enough.

Me and my mates are aware the Hearts 1958 team existed, I've read a book about them. But it was decades before I was born and I can't say I think about it often.

The 2012 team may not have been as good, but that's my experience of Hearts. It's a much bigger deal to me.

Same way as the guys ten years or so older than me will go on about 1986. I was a toddler. It's just not part of my life. I have no connection to it.

That's how most people experience fitba.

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

He did recently concede that he'd had a skinful and doesn't actually remember the day 😭😂😂😂

Frustratingly we keep having these little jibes of "couldn't say that nowadays", or "I know it's 2023 but...." Etc etc. 

it's dead simple - if your joke seeks to make a marginalized group then butt of the joke, you avoid it. Don't then grump about it at every opportunity, it is possible to simply keep one's trap shut 

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

So if something happened before you were born it's somehow meaningless ? No sense of history that man. Won't forget when he and Jane Lewis kept insisting on referring to the 67 Scotland side as 'The Wembley Wizards' and then getting all uppity as only Cowan can when people pointed out that nickname was already in use for the 1928 5-1 side.

7 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The best quiz show there has even been with the most knowledgeable quiz host there's ever been? Plenty, I'd imagine.

1536.thumb.jpg.de86bfd8ac8d07462b63115b5a154a31.jpg

Now, Question or Nominate?

5 hours ago, velo army said:

Aye it was on just after I got in from school too. A superb quiz.

Sorry to disagree guys but you are wrong..................this is the greatest ever quiz.