Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

As a guy who is seriously into music Cosgrove probably just sees Led Zeppelin as tedious old frauds who pass over the work of black musicians as their own....see 'Whole Lotta Love'. As someone who is always banging on about 'authentic' black inner city soul music it would be remiss of him to think otherwise.

I doubt he's ventured that deep but if he does I'd be surprised if he didn't just revert to cliches.

He probably has very little idea about Mississippi Delta Blues from the 1930s which both the Stones and Zeppelin plundered heavily as they were both massive fans of artists like  Willie Dixon, Robert Johnson, Howlin Wolf, Memphis Minnie etc. The fact that Zeppelin also then mixed this with English folk and 1950s rock and roll would just leave him (dazed & 😆) confused. 

11 minutes ago, AndyM said:

I doubt he's ventured that deep but if he does I'd be surprised if he didn't just revert to cliches.

He probably has very little idea about Mississippi Delta Blues from the 1930s which both the Stones and Zeppelin plundered heavily as they were both massive fans of artists like  Willie Dixon, Robert Johnson, Howlin Wolf, Memphis Minnie etc. The fact that Zeppelin also then mixed this with English folk and 1950s rock and roll would just leave him (dazed & 😆) confused. 

I bet you and Cosgrove could suck the joy from any form of music.

11 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Till the juice ran down your leg I presume ?

Oh this is good, niche reference 

1 hour ago, AndyM said:

Was that the Led Zeppelin track? For a guy who would say he is seriously into music Cosgrove really comes over as a tedious old bore at times. One of the biggest bands that there's ever been whose music is still as popular as ever, unlike a lot of the stuff Cosgrove champions, and all he can do is a sub par impersonation of a failing NME hack. Dear oh dear.

Yes, this. I think a classic of "I'd expect better".

Also mildly amused at him railing against the negativity on P&B but he bumps his gums and whines whenever something by Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin/Queen/ AC/DC is mentioned. 

15 hours ago, scoobles said:

Cowan's biggest crime was admitting he'd never seen Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. He's mid 50's and it was on TV every year for decades since it's release.

He's beyond one for the watch with his tastes. 

He's 10 years younger than me and he sounds like my Dad. I reckon it must be a lifetime hanging around with pensioners at football social club dinner gigs. 

1 hour ago, AndyM said:

You should maybe read Cosgrove's trilogy of Detroit 67, Memphis 68 and Harlem 69 where he goes into great detail on the history of black Soul music and its effect on American society particularly in those years. Cosgrove has interviewed countless black soul artists and spent a lot of time with black soul artists. His knowledge of black music in America is probably second to none to anyone in the UK. He also has a huge personal collection of black soul music. I am quite sure he could provide a program on Blues singers without doing any research.

I have wondered if that at the root of Cosgrove's dislike of Led Zeppelin is the fact they ripped off many black & blues artist, often uncredited.... However I think he's just stuck in 1970s teenage tribalism of "I don't like X music genre that isn't mine".

Complete aside/non sequitur, I spent most of Saturdays show confusing Alex Neil & Alex Rae.....

5 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

You should maybe read Cosgrove's trilogy of Detroit 67, Memphis 68 and Harlem 69 where he goes into great detail on the history of black Soul music and its effect on American society particularly in those years. Cosgrove has interviewed countless black soul artists and spent a lot of time with black soul artists. His knowledge of black music in America is probably second to none to anyone in the UK. He also has a huge personal collection of black soul music. I am quite sure he could provide a program on Blues singers without doing any research.

Folks! I think we've uncovered Cosgrove's account on P&B 😂😂😂

7 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I have read 2 of the 3 books and I liked them. They were a good read about times of upheaval and severe racial issues in America. Perhaps I missed the parts talking about Delta Blues. 

9 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Folks! I think we've uncovered Cosgrove's account on P&B 😂😂😂

I was at a book festival where Cosgrove spoke for an hour on the history of black music in America. The guy knows his stuff. Yea, like many people who enjoy one genre they slate everything else ( I know several heavy metal fans who point blank refuse to listen to anyone else and have absolutely no knowledge of any other music).

Edited by NorthBank

9 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I was at a book festival where Cosgrove spoke for an hour on the history of black music in America. The guy knows his stuff. Yea, like many people who enjoy one genre they slate everything else ( I know several heavy metal fans who point blank refuse to listen to anyone else and have absolutely no knowledge of any other music).

I think you're right there. I've always found that sort of musical tribalism somewhat unhealthy. I have an older cousin who was/is a punk. For him the world stopped musically in 1977.  He still refuses to listen to anything else.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Cosgrove wrote an amazing piece about Chicago House music in 1986 for NME. 

https://www.foundationsofhouse.com/blog/the-djs-they-couldnt-hang-chicago-house-1986

4 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Oh no doubt the man knows his stuff and it is very impressive! I wouldn't want people to think I was doubting that! More that I feel that the childish whining is unbecoming in a journalist of his stature.... 

33 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Oh no doubt the man knows his stuff and it is very impressive! I wouldn't want people to think I was doubting that! More that I feel that the childish whining is unbecoming in a journalist of his stature.... 

Doesn't childish whining come with the territory if you're a Scottish journalist?