Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

915 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

Im sure Tam said Derek Ferguson would walk into the Scotland midfield right now. Anyone else hear that?

5 minutes ago, just me 2 said:

Thought he said Barry?

I think he said Barry would walk in, and Derek would be in there too, something along those lines.

He also tried to figure out who the famous "PJ" was that he was thinking of. When he got past pyjamas he settled on "PJ Duncan" (singular) which Stuart backed up with "aye, Grange Hill" and none of the others corrected them.

For once, I take no pride in knowing how wildly wrong they were here.

4 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Chronic patter. Do folk actually listen to this regularly? 

‘Listen to’ is pushing it but I have it on in the background and I catch bits and pieces.

Barry Ferguson might get in to the current Scotland squad but, unless there are injuries and/or suspensions, there's no chance he gets in to the starting XI. Gilmour shows for the ball and uses it better. McGregor is more attacking. McTominay is better in every aspect. McGinn is far, far superior in attack. Ryan Jack offers more defensively. The Mayor has much better headgear than he can ever hope to match.

His nephew is a much more potent attacking threat.

Certainly there would be a place for Barry Ferguson in today's squad, and he'd be a good player to bring on at certain times or start when some guys are injured. He would add to the squad for sure. He would be a squad player though and not pushing for a start when everyone is available.

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Barry Ferguson might get in to the current Scotland squad but, unless there are injuries and/or suspensions, there's no chance he gets in to the starting XI. Gilmour shows for the ball and uses it better. McGregor is more attacking. McTominay is better in every aspect. McGinn is far, far superior in attack. Ryan Jack offers more defensively. The Mayor has much better headgear than he can ever hope to match.

His nephew is a much more potent attacking threat.

Certainly there would be a place for Barry Ferguson in today's squad, and he'd be a good player to bring on at certain times or start when some guys are injured. He would add to the squad for sure. He would be a squad player though and not pushing for a start when everyone is available.

Sorry but disagree.  Ferguson would 100% get in the Scotland team atm.   

11 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Sorry but disagree.  Ferguson would 100% get in the Scotland team atm.   

Where in the starting XI would you play him? Who would you drop for him?

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Where in the starting XI would you play him? Who would you drop for him?

I think he was a better player, even a much better player than McGregor (who is also extremely good)  Ferguson was under rated imo, look at the currant teams he played in over the years and never once looked out of place.  Scotland were shite most of the time he played for us but like Fletcher, that wasn't really his sole responsibility.  

I'm inclined to agree that Ferguson gets in the current Scotland team. I think because he's a 'Rangers man' a lot of fans of other would balk at giving him too much credit. Whilst I get that, I can't deny that he was a top player and an excellent player for Scotland. I remember a couple of games against Italy where he was probably the best player on the park.

Nah, can't agree that Ferguson starts when we have a fully fit XI. 

He simply isn't better than anyone we can start in our preferred formation.

He would be an excellent addition to the squad and a great player to bring on or start when if we had injuries/suspensions, but not a chance he gets in front of McGregor/McTominay/McGinn/Gilmour/Jack/Ferguson.

Always find it amazing when people talk down Barry Ferguson. He was an absolutely tremendous player.

He'd have prospered in the modern game even more as his attributes would have suited it.

Nobody is disputing that we have good midfielders at the moment too. But I'm almost 40 and I'm struggling to think of a Scotland team I've seen you woudn't have wanted Ferguson in.

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Nah, can't agree that Ferguson starts when we have a fully fit XI. 

He simply isn't better than anyone we can start in our preferred formation.

He would be an excellent addition to the squad and a great player to bring on or start when if we had injuries/suspensions, but not a chance he gets in front of McGregor/McTominay/McGinn/Gilmour/Jack/Ferguson.

Ryan Jack better than Barry Ferguson? Really? That's an outrageous opinion. 

I can see the argument for the other players you've mentioned but Ferguson was a far superior player to Jack. 

On 08/01/2024 at 22:22, andyg83 said:

Tam with his old favourite from 15 to 1 when he was at school (seriously who even watched that) when the guy answered the question of the "official name for Mexico" as "Meh - he - co".

Honestly can almost recite the story word for word. 

Someone on here even has a story about being on the show in the Sandi Toksvig era, although I forget who. I don't think she came out of it very well, though.

Anyway, back to pretending that Barry Ferguson wasn't one of Scotland's all-time greats  :whistle

As Vaas so eloquently put it..

4M0rkLW.jpeg

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same fucking thing... over and over again expecting... shit to change... That. Is. Crazy. "

Which pretty much sums up OTB, it has always been the "yer da" irreverent patter even when it started, and it absolutely has not changed.
Utter tedium mixed with one presenter determined to claim a world of the past, one rife with misogyny, racism and bigotry, is somehow a world we should have some halcyon vision of, rather than embracing modernity and you know... actually do something different than... doing the exact... same fucking thing.. over and over again expecting... shit to change.

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

As Vaas so eloquently put it..

4M0rkLW.jpeg

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same fucking thing... over and over again expecting... shit to change... That. Is. Crazy. "

Which pretty much sums up OTB, it has always been the "yer da" irreverent patter even when it started, and it absolutely has not changed.
Utter tedium mixed with one presenter determined to claim a world of the past, one rife with misogyny, racism and bigotry, is somehow a world we should have some halcyon vision of, rather than embracing modernity and you know... actually do something different than... doing the exact... same fucking thing.. over and over again expecting... shit to change.

Fucksake! It's just a shite radio programme.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Fucksake! It's just a shite radio programme.

...what's your point caller?

This is a thread about that programme, that's my opinion on it.

None of what I have said is either unfair or untrue.

Edited by Ric