Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

915 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i wish i had known about this before hand, i would've got you to ask him a question that's bugged me for the whole time i've listened to the show. that question would've been....
no interested in English football  {ever other week he say something alone those lines, that its actually becoming an ''off the ball trope''} yet he stood no more that 20ft away from me on platform 14 of Manchester Piccadilly with Johnathon Watson and i think it was Phil Differ, the morning after United won 4-3 against Real Madrid in 2003 in the CL Quarter final 2nd leg

Surely he's still aloud to go along to a game/day out if he has no interest in it. Think I've read this before as well so probably from yourself, you could just go to one of the other threads and say you were at the 4-3 Real Madrid Man United game.

27 minutes ago, just me 2 said:
On 09/11/2021 at 13:35, Meldrew said:
i wish i had known about this before hand, i would've got you to ask him a question that's bugged me for the whole time i've listened to the show. that question would've been....
no interested in English football  {ever other week he say something alone those lines, that its actually becoming an ''off the ball trope''} yet he stood no more that 20ft away from me on platform 14 of Manchester Piccadilly with Johnathon Watson and i think it was Phil Differ, the morning after United won 4-3 against Real Madrid in 2003 in the CL Quarter final 2nd leg

Surely he's still aloud to go along to a game/day out if he has no interest in it. Think I've read this before as well so probably from yourself, you could just go to one of the other threads and say you were at the 4-3 Real Madrid Man United game.

just an observation about someone who claims to have zero interested in football outside of scotland

2 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

It gets on my nerves when people complain about the music and Tam defends it by saying him and Stuart only get one pick each. This is not true as they also choose what to play from the ones sent in. Just because a listener requests crap doesn't mean you have to play it

THIS , and so " Get it Off " can **** off as well !

I heard bits of the show today and was interested to hear it was about this website.

I must like Off The Ball as it’s the only radio show I semi-regularly listen to. Tam seems a bit touchy about things said against him on here. 

Anyway, hiya Tam, hiya pal!

On 10/11/2021 at 13:19, Ric said:

You sweet naive child, it's almost as if you don't listen to the actual shite they talk, this thread is absolutely chocka full of people pointing out the constant errors they make.

I don't doubt for a second that they make mistakes - but I was, quite obviously, referring to the part of your post where you said that "they care little about the subject and only turn up because they are paid to do so".

That is pretty hard to reconcile with guys that have had a weekend show for the past 27 years - if they didn't care then either the station would have shelved them a couple of decades ago; or they'd be forever missing shows to do the things that the rest of us do at weekends.  Neither of which have happened.

On 10/11/2021 at 19:29, Ric said:

Sadly, the modern ill-informed, or  ignorant, are the types that sit in Facebook echo chambers reposting anti-vaxx/5G conspiracy or promoting right wing, dog whistle, nonsense.

I've never got that vibe from either Tam or Stuart - quite the reverse, really, given how open they were to having Dr Leitch on the show last year - but I guess you're right in saying that if you want a factually precise tactical discussion of modern football you might be better served looking elsewhere.

13 hours ago, buchan30 said:

Part of me thinks that tam chooses the music, knowing it will wind folk up on here.

And fair play to him for that - he must get a good chuckle out of some of the frothing-mouth responses on this thread.  I like to think that I would do the same if I was in his position.

9 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

I like I again. Loved at as a teen then got shite now it’s gid again. 

As I said a couple of years ago, when Chick Young guest presented the show (one of the rare occasions that both Tam and Stuart were away) we got a listen to the alternative - and that was so diabolically dreadful, unfunny and awkward that it made me appreciate the regular show in a whole different light.  It is a very good listen, despite the constant interupting, repetitive stories and extremely questionable taste in music.

I don't doubt for a second that they make mistakes - but I was, quite obviously, referring to the part of your post where you said that "they care little about the subject and only turn up because they are paid to do so".
That is pretty hard to reconcile with guys that have had a weekend show for the past 27 years - if they didn't care then either the station would have shelved them a couple of decades ago; or they'd be forever missing shows to do the things that the rest of us do at weekends.  Neither of which have happened.

Most people care very little about the subject matter of their jobs but still turn up and don't get fired.

4 hours ago, arab_joe said:

As I said a couple of years ago, when Chick Young guest presented the show (one of the rare occasions that both Tam and Stuart were away) we got a listen to the alternative - and that was so diabolically dreadful, unfunny and awkward that it made me appreciate the regular show in a whole different light. 

Analogy for that..

> I was given a shit sandwich instead of my usual shit and potatoes, it made me really appreciate the shit and potatoes.

Here's an idea, how about no servings of shit being on the menu?

It is a very good listen...

I'm glad you enjoy it, personally, for you, I'm happy.

It's certainly not the majority view though.

I've never got that vibe from either Tam or Stuart - quite the reverse, really, given how open they were to having Dr Leitch on the show last year - but I guess you're right in saying that if you want a factually precise tactical discussion of modern football you might be better served looking elsewhere.

They literally start the show by boasting how capricious and ignorant they are, it's the whole tenet of the show. If you meet someone, and each and every time you do, they tell you how stupid they are, it would not be unrealistic to accept their opinion and consider them stupid.

There is far more I wish to write about this but the owner of this website decided to remove the comments. My comments were not incorrect, they were just inconvenient - either legally or personally. Bottom line is, this is not my website, I don't make the decisions and if the owner doesn't wish those comments posted then there is no way I can brute force my way into them appearing in this thread, and I wouldn't do that. I know the owner and they know me, he deleted them and I accept that for whatever reason they did.

It might surprise some to hear I have no personal axe to grind with either presenter, I have an opinion on the matter obviously, although when one of them takes to a nationally broadcast radio show to denigrate specific online users without providing them any form of rebuttal is an abuse of their position, considering the BBC is not a private company but a publicly funded organisation, publicly funded by all of us.

Edited by Ric

It used to be essential live listening to me, now I catch up slowly through the week via the podcast.  I get annoyed at the same old stories and the talking over each other.  I don’t mind the music but I do wonder how Tam ended up with his tastes.  He couldn’t have got Radio 1 reception on his tranny as a child.  I still listen though.

I believe it is the most listened to and therefore most popular show on Radio Scotland.

Its not for everyone though.

9 hours ago, Ric said:

Analogy for that..

> I was given a shit sandwich instead of my usual shit and potatoes, it made me really appreciate the shit and potatoes.

Here's an idea, how about no servings of shit being on the menu?

I'm glad you enjoy it, personally, for you, I'm happy.

It's certainly not the majority view though.

They literally start the show by boasting how capricious and ignorant they are, it's the whole tenet of the show. If you meet someone, and each and every time you do, they tell you how stupid they are, it would not be unrealistic to accept their opinion and consider them stupid.

There is far more I wish to write about this but the owner of this website decided to remove the comments. My comments were not incorrect, they were just inconvenient - either legally or personally. Bottom line is, this is not my website, I don't make the decisions and if the owner doesn't wish those comments posted then there is no way I can brute force my way into them appearing in this thread, and I wouldn't do that. I know the owner and they know me, he deleted them and I accept that for whatever reason they did.

It might surprise some to hear I have no personal axe to grind with either presenter, I have an opinion on the matter obviously, although when one of them takes to a nationally broadcast radio show to denigrate specific online users without providing them any form of rebuttal is an abuse of their position, considering the BBC is not a private company but a publicly funded organisation, publicly funded by all of us.

The Pie and Bovril Sell Out