Time for Eck to go already!

Caley Shaun

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, virginton said:

Scotland should have treated their previous World Cup campaign as a bedding-in period for whichever manager they want in charge for the long term; instead they gormlessly insisted that they were in the running to qualify, waited until the inevitable failure of a campaign that had absolutely no chance of success and then decided on a change of management.  For permadiddy countries having the right manager and a settled squad in place for the European qualifications is quite clearly the best strategy for reaching an international tournament.

I agree that Strachan should have gone earlier (at the end of the Euros campaign, when we managed to park ourselves in 4th when the top 3 would qualify for a major finals, having taken 4 points from the 3rd placed team), but to say the failure of the World Cup campaign was inevitable and that the campaign had "absolutely no chance of success" is a bit of an exaggeration given that we were a single goal away from a play off in the end, but failed to show up in the final match. 

58 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I agree that Strachan should have gone earlier (at the end of the Euros campaign, when we managed to park ourselves in 4th when the top 3 would qualify for a major finals, having taken 4 points from the 3rd placed team), but to say the failure of the World Cup campaign was inevitable and that the campaign had "absolutely no chance of success" is a bit of an exaggeration given that we were a single goal away from a play off in the end, but failed to show up in the final match. 

1) The idea that you just had to 'show up' to win in Ljubljana - Slovenia having already held England and beaten Slovakia there - is nonsense.  

2) None of the teams behind England were ever going to qualify for the finals and Slovakia - a better team than Scotland - didn't even make the play-offs for finishing second.  

3) Even had you made the play-offs you'd have been horsed, as Ireland were.

The World Cup had 13 qualification slots for UEFA nations and Scotland are somewhere in the mid-20s of international sides on the continent ranked by performance. The idea that half of the teams above them would somehow fall by the wayside was delusional. The SFA should have accepted the current level of their team and focused on having the best setup in place to reach the Euros - a realistic goal for Scotland, Albania, Hungary and the other dross of the continent. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

1) The idea that you just had to 'show up' to win in Ljubljana - Slovenia having already held England and beaten Slovakia there - is nonsense.  

2) None of the teams behind England were ever going to qualify for the finals and Slovakia - a better team than Scotland - didn't even make the play-offs for finishing second.  

3) Even had you made the play-offs you'd have been horsed, as Ireland were.

The World Cup had 13 qualification slots for UEFA nations and Scotland are somewhere in the mid-20s of international sides on the continent ranked by performance. The idea that half of the teams above them would somehow fall by the wayside was delusional. The SFA should have accepted the current level of their team and focused on having the best setup in place to reach the Euros - a realistic goal for Scotland, Albania, Hungary and the other dross of the continent. 

By 'failed to show up', I meant that the performance was completely flat - I did not say that we only had to show up to win.   Nevertheless, we have beaten Slovenia away before, and we beat them at home this campaign.  A win in the last game, however unlikely, would have got us a PO spot.  It is therefore wrong to claim that we had "absolutely no chance" of success, given we were one goal away (albeit we were well off the pace and lucky to get a late draw in that match).  Low-ranked teams have made finals before.  Thank you for your list of definitive statements, though.

6 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

We can hardly blame Eck, you can only piss with the cock you’ve got. We are a terrible team and sometimes wonder if it’s worth while having an international team

While that statement may be true to an extent , Michael O'neill proved that with preparation and good organisation of average players you can get the best out of them. 

Eck neither prepared or organised our players to play to their potential on Thursday and should be brought to task for that. 

This is definitely a managerial issue and  can be easily rectified.   

Guest Pampered Adolescent

If I was swithering about going to the Portugal game, or anything similar down the road,  the phrase 'management is in my DNA' would keep me away until he was replaced.

McLeish took a great Motherwell team, 3rd in the league, to 2nd, 8th, 8th, 9th; left mid-season.

In management, what has this clown ever done outwith some tainted success with the Blue Bigots?

At least WGS combined his arrogance and self-importance with the occasional witty one-liners.

I am sure (hoping) he gets retired on medical grounds.

Cheers

PA

We can hardly blame Eck, you can only piss with the cock you’ve got. We are a terrible team and sometimes wonder if it’s worth while having an international team

You can only piss with the cock that you’ve got but you can at least try and aim for the toilet bowl. Eck is the equivalent of pissing on your own shoes.

My main disappointment with McLeish is more with the SFA and their ludicrous decision to appoint him. Even Rangers didn’t want him when he was practically begging for the job. Pals or not, I can’t believe they sat in a meeting and decided this would be a good appointment.

Since leaving Scotland the first time he got Birmingham relegated, promoted, then had a very good season where they were difficult to beat and finished high up in the Premier League. Next season he won the League Cup, a fantastic achievement but it’s been downhill since. Relegated again with Birmingham, a shambolic spell at Villa, left Forest after less than a month, sacked from Genk for failing to get them into the CL qualifiers and most recently sacked by some Egyptian mob. After that he then gets the Scotland job. An absolute joke.

He’s now been in a charge for 7 games which has seen us lose 5 and win 2. Up until Strachans contract wasn’t renewed we were unbeaten in 2017. His tactics, call ups, team selections have baffled me. He’s trying to stick to a formation that isn’t working, playing players out of position and not getting results. I can’t see it but I hope we punt him sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

We've got more of a cock than Israel has.

Spoiler

ChMampY.png

11 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

By 'failed to show up', I meant that the performance was completely flat - I did not say that we only had to show up to win.   Nevertheless, we have beaten Slovenia away before, and we beat them at home this campaign.  A win in the last game, however unlikely, would have got us a PO spot.  It is therefore wrong to claim that we had "absolutely no chance" of success, given we were one goal away (albeit we were well off the pace and lucky to get a late draw in that match).  Low-ranked teams have made finals before.  Thank you for your list of definitive statements, though.

You also beat Slovakia at home; care to remind me how that away tie worked out for you? Between that and the fact that Slovenia were unbeaten at home overall and having played superior opposition, a draw was in fact the credible benchmark for Scotland in their final match - which meant that it was already game over in terms of getting out the group. And slithering into a play-off spot still wouldn't have given you a credible chance of reaching the World Cup, as the utter humiliation of Ireland (a better national team than Scotland) at the same stage demonstrated.

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

You also beat Slovakia at home; care to remind me how that away tie worked out for you? Between that and the fact that Slovenia were unbeaten at home overall and having played superior opposition, a draw was in fact the credible benchmark for Scotland in their final match - which meant that it was already game over in terms of getting out the group. And slithering into a play-off spot still wouldn't have given you a credible chance of reaching the World Cup, as the utter humiliation of Ireland (a better national team than Scotland) at the same stage demonstrated.

Very average trolling.

Archived