Calling Cards of Morons

43 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Anyone that says the word "Yous" (e.g. Yous lost 2-0 to Alloa)..................brutally moronic and seems to be a weegie trait.

New Zealanders say it as well. 

Tbh, I can see why people say it as it distinguishes between the singular and the plural but it does indeed make the speaker sound stupid. 

There should be a word that immediately lets a reader/listener know if you are referring to one person or a group. Not 'y'all' though. It can stay in America. 

14 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Tbh, I can see why people say it as it distinguishes between the singular and the plural but it does indeed make the speaker sound stupid. 

There should be a word that immediately lets a reader/listener know if you are referring to one person or a group. Not 'y'all' though. It can stay in America. 

I wish the gender thing could be sorted out, especially with all these unsure people about. I've recently (last year or so) been putting daft bets on a Skybets promotion that effectively gave you an each way bet for the price of a single on horse racing. I know nothing about horses but it sounded like a good deal (did well for the first few months but abysmally since), but posting my comments on the gambler's section was a pain in the arse trying to find gender neutral words for horses that I knew nothing about but quite liked the name. 

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Anyone that says the word "Yous" (e.g. Yous lost 2-0 to Alloa)..................brutally moronic and seems to be a weegie trait.

And TFS?

14 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

This is called context, no?

3 hours ago, Dee Man said:

There is. "yous"

Personalised number plates have always seemed moronic to me. I've only ever driven Ford fiestas though.

Just about everyone in my ‘department’ at work has one - from senior management to younger lads who will always whinge they’re not paid enough.

I really struggle to understand this one.

Buchan folk say it as well but it is more °yows"
Wouldn't want to be calling some off those chiels "weegie"

8 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Nah mate, you can't have this one. Having no word in your language to differentiate between second person singular and plural is an absolute riddy. Youse should be more widely, ahem, used. It's not an indicator of imbecility, but one of linguistic evolution and adaptation.

Embrace it, or be left behind.

I have belters in my work who do this. Pisses me off
Guy I used to work with, every year without fail when we went back after New Year (and that years holiday requests were opened) would put in for the full WEEK of his birthday off, he moved jobs and he's carried this over to his new work.
I could understand if he maybe went away abroad with his family (its in June), but he literally doesn't leave the house and drinks for a week.
Absolute waste of holidays IMO.
I'm going to own up to this here but I hope my circumstances excuse me from being a manchild.  My birthday is at the start of January, this means none of my friends or family are ever really arsed about celebrating it as they've literally just had two weeks of good food and booze, nor do they have any money to do anything. This has left me feeling unappreciated for near 15 years now. The date of my birthday also means it's usually the day or day after my work re-opens after the Christmas break.  Combining the misery of turning a year older and having no one care about it with the misery of returning to backlog of 2 weeks of work is too much for me at the start of a new year.  I much prefer to take the day off, pile into a crate of Tennents and w**k myself blind.  If that makes me a manchild then so fucking be it.
Only acceptable if its the 3rd of January IMO.
People who put sugar and lemon on pancakes are worse than Hitler.
IMG_20190305_134409.jpg

6 hours ago, velo army said:

Nah mate, you can't have this one. Having no word in your language to differentiate between second person singular and plural is an absolute riddy. Youse should be more widely, ahem, used. It's not an indicator of imbecility, but one of linguistic evolution and adaptation.

Embrace it, or be left behind.

A soundly put argument - but unless you're a mafia hood, society has learned to live without fish having a different plural.................it can do the same for 'you'.