Nations League 2020-2021

Donathan

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It's strange how the reporting of tonight's game seemed to place promotion to League B as the most important result of beating Israel. That's easy to view as a negative side effect; inconsequential, at best. Not much worth celebrating.

I swear the press still haven't quite grasped that we're three games against mediocre opposition away from qualification from the actual European Championships that all the big boys play at.

Here's what we won tonight:

• A play-off place for Euro 2020 (at which we'd play a minimum of 2 matches at Hampden and 1 at Wembley);
  • A home semi-final in that play-off, and a 50-50 shot of a home final, all against countries who finished below us;
  • Into Pot 3 rather than Pot 4 for the Euro 2020 Qualifying Groups;
  • Promoted to League B in the next Nations League, in which we'll get tastier matches, and a ranking no lower than 24th;
  • €1 million (€750,000 for winning the group, and an additional €250,000 on the basic payment in the next NL).
  • The first good news around the national team in feckin' years.

It was a huuuuge win. 

When we top our qualifying group after winning 9 games and drawing one (at home to San Marino) will we still be in this play off with the other Group C teams or do UEFA tell us to give it a bye so the other nations battle it out for the remaining spot? Or do we play in the wee play off to see who is Group C champions and runners up get the spot?

Don’t know why people seem to fear Wales.

They’re on the downward spiral following Euro 2016, Bale seems to be injured all the time, Williams has lost all form, Robson-Kanu has retired, and they’ve decided to cap all with welsh granny’s in a bid to try and get some good back in that squad,

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

When we top our qualifying group after winning 9 games and drawing one (at home to San Marino) will we still be in this play off with the other Group C teams or do UEFA tell us to give it a bye so the other nations battle it out for the remaining spot? Or do we play in the wee play off to see who is Group C champions and runners up get the spot?

If we qualify automatically, we won't be in the play-offs. Our spot will instead go to the next team in the C division that isn't qualified yet.

20 hours ago, GordonS said:

Here's what we won tonight:

• A play-off place for Euro 2020 (at which we'd play a minimum of 2 matches at Hampden and 1 at Wembley);
  • A home semi-final in that play-off, and a 50-50 shot of a home final, all against countries who finished below us;
  • Into Pot 3 rather than Pot 4 for the Euro 2020 Qualifying Groups;
  • Promoted to League B in the next Nations League, in which we'll get tastier matches, and a ranking no lower than 24th;
  • €1 million (€750,000 for winning the group, and an additional €250,000 on the basic payment in the next NL).
  • The first good news around the national team in feckin' years.

It was a huuuuge win. 

This reminds me of Bullseye, only without the, "here's what you could have won".

No Bendy Bully, but I'll take it.

I would be happy enough with the following group

Poland

Iceland 

Scotland

Estonia

Gibraltar

Andorra

Would be more than happy with that, but it'll never happen!!!

"Group of Death" as usual, guaranteed!!!

This. Their time's by, relative minnows again within five years. 

I was away to put this yesterday or the day before. They have tailed off recently but then again, they’ve been playing far superior sides and our results against the same opposition would be more than likely similar.

11 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Would be more than happy with that, but it'll never happen!!!

"Group of Death" as usual, guaranteed!!!

Scotland very rarely get a group of death.  They just make it look that way by playing really badly.

11 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

This reminds me of Bullseye, only without the, "here's what you could have won".

No Bendy Bully, but I'll take it.

Did the UEFA guy go "I’ve got a million Euros here and it’ll take me 18 months to count out.  See you after the break"

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Scotland very rarely get a group of death.  They just make it look that way by playing really badly.

Last one you could argue would've been the Euro 2016 one, but that was made a bit less "death-y" by the 2.5 spots that were available for qualifying.  We essentially had to do better than Ireland, which shouldn't have been a tough position to be in.  Particularly when we were almost better than both Ireland and Poland before fucking it up.

One before that would've been the Italy/France one?

3 minutes ago, forameus said:

Last one you could argue would've been the Euro 2016 one, but that was made a bit less "death-y" by the 2.5 spots that were available for qualifying.  We essentially had to do better than Ireland, which shouldn't have been a tough position to be in.  Particularly when we were almost better than both Ireland and Poland before fucking it up.

One before that would've been the Italy/France one?

And even then, France were going through one of their "difficult" periods.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

And even then, France were going through one of their "difficult" periods.

*gallic shrug*

And similar to Euro 2016, even with both of them involved, we were a result against Italy away from the playoffs anyway.  Even when we get a tougher group, it's not as if we're blown out of the water.  To me it seems like we perform roughly at the same level no matter our opponents.  We'll usually always be a couple of points away.

Edited by forameus

Therefore every Group is a "Group of Death" then!!!
Easiest Group we've ever had was Vogts' Euro Qualifying Group and even then we fucked it up in the end!!!

In our last 4 Euro qualifying campaigns we've had 3 current World champions and 2 World Cup runners up in our groups. Whether any of them were groups of death or not can be debated but I'm not sure that there's many similarly ranked nations who've had as shite a run of draws for the Euro qualifiers as Scotland.