Nations League 2020-2021

Donathan

14 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

And even then, France were going through one of their "difficult" periods.

The one for Euro 2008 that we narrowly missed out on?

Less than a year earlier at the World Cup, Italy and France contested the final, and Ukraine were quarter finalists.  Lithuania, Georgia and the Faroes were the other teams.

I'd say that was pretty close to a group of death.

1 hour ago, Moo said:

I was away to put this yesterday or the day before. They have tailed off recently but then again, they’ve been playing far superior sides and our results against the same opposition would be more than likely similar.

Mexico and Peru battered them in a way that neither managed against us, they've had two draws against Qatar recently as well.  Part of me probably thinks it's the same kind of lazy assumption I make about Hamilton Accies though - like it can't possibly last.  Maybe I'll be as wrong this time as that.

1 hour ago, King Kebab said:

Therefore every Group is a "Group of Death" then!!!

Well...

Given that you can only have two hosts in the group, there's a decent chance we'll get an "easier draw"

Although, the group of death, for me, would be something like this:

Poland
Germany
Scotland
Greece
Kosovo
Latvia 

If we get a bit of luck, then I'd like to see something like this:

Italy
Iceland
Scotland
Albania
Gibraltar
San Marino

How the hell are the Faroes and Gibraltar in Pot 5, yet Latvia are in Pot 6? They must be proper shite these days. 

Edited by DAFC.

4 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Well...

Given that you can only have two hosts in the group, there's a decent chance we'll get an "easier draw"

Although, the group of death, for me, would be something like this:

Poland
Germany
Scotland
Romania
Kosovo
Latvia 

If we get a bit of luck, then I'd like to see something like this:

Italy
Iceland
Scotland
Albania
Gibraltar
San Marino

How the hell are the Faroes and Gibraltar in Pot 5, yet Latvia are in Pot 6? They must be proper shite these days. 

Just as well that group of death would have 3 hosts in it then.

2 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

The seedings are done by the Nations League overall ranking - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League#Overall_ranking - both were third in their league but Latvia didn't win a single game and Gibraltar's win against Armenia got them ahead on points

• 10 months later...

Bump.

UEFA have sensibly decided to expand Nations League groups in the upper echelons from 3 teams to 4 teams each, effectively abolishing international friendlies entirely except in weeks before tournaments. Bosnia-Herzegovina, Ukraine, Denmark and Sweden all reprieved in Division A... Bulgaria, Israel, Hungary and Romania all unexpectedly promoted to Division B.

Division B
Pot 1 ... Russia, Austria, Wales, Czech Rep
Pot 2 ... Slovakia, Turkey, Eire, Northern Ireland
Pot 3 ... Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Finland
Pot 4 ... Bulgaria, Israel, Hungary, Romania

Bump.

UEFA have sensibly decided to expand Nations League groups in the upper echelons from 3 teams to 4 teams each, effectively abolishing international friendlies entirely except in weeks before tournaments. Bosnia-Herzegovina, Ukraine, Denmark and Sweden all reprieved in Division A... Bulgaria, Israel, Hungary and Romania all unexpectedly promoted to Division B.

Division B
Pot 1 ... Russia, Austria, Wales, Czech Rep
Pot 2 ... Slovakia, Turkey, Eire, Northern Ireland
Pot 3 ... Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Finland
Pot 4 ... Bulgaria, Israel, Hungary, Romania

Good stuff. Glad to see the back of friendlies and hopefully we'll never have to suffer them again. Nations' League, as complex as it is, has been great.

That seems pretty unfair. Slovakia, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Turkey all got relegated last time out and yet are now seeded above us (though I realise it doesn't matter in practice).
Uefa have it the other way round on the pdf they just released. We'll be a 2 seed.

Don't know if it changes fixtures or anything i.e. all 2 seeds play same fixture order. Probably not.

Another side effect of this is that league D now only has 7 teams in it, the 7 most honking teams in Europe. 

I'd imagine consolidating leagues A-C at 16 teams each and just having league D as "the rest" is the first step towards removing the Euros qualifying spot from league D for Euro 2024, since there will need to be an automatic spot for hosts Germany.

I'd imagine the qualifying format will be:

- Germany qualify automatically (1 team)

- 10 groups of 5/6 (Currently would be four 6's and six 5's, assuming Germany don't take part and no further nations join UEFA) Top 2 qualify (20 teams)

- Leagues A-C playoff winners (3 teams)

37 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

I can't see how they can offer League D teams a qualifying place now given they are the bottom 7 ranked.

Is there really that much difference between that and the bottom 16 ranked?  If they take it away now, it's really poor in my opinion.  This spot was the aim for these sides, the chance to be at a major tournament, and potentially the chance to inspire a nation to really kick on to the next level.  Remove it, and these countries go back to may as well not existing, in a footballing sense.  Plus, as someone who watches tournaments to be entertained, if that team goes up and contributes to even one match you're going to remember post-tournament, then that already puts them above most of the average teams that go.  I'd far rather see any of the teams currently in line for a playoff spot in League D play anyone in the tournament, rather than some middle-of-the-road match like Sweden vs Denmark (with no offence meant to either of those).