The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

6 hours ago, The Golden God said:

The incompetence of F1 strategists amazes me. Every week there seems to be at least 1 disaster class that the commentators and fans call out instantly. They’ve got a team of people who’s only job is strategy and half of them seem to just spin a wheel to decide what to do (in Ferrari’s case that might actually work better). 

Don’t think it’s that simple. Clearly strategy is probably the least exact science of F1 and is totally reactive to what’s going on in the race. They’ll have so many variables to consider before punting a strategy to the driver and all it takes is one bit of data to be slightly off or not following correlation for it to look like a disaster class.

12 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

It was an awful strategy call, his race engineer was in his ear talking about covering Hamilton or Verstappen and talking about different compounds all while Norris is racing on a drying track, no wonder Norris made the wrong call, the team should have taken the decision out of his hands.

This is what stood out for me. His engineer basically talked him into the soft after telling him a few laps before that he had a fresh set of mediums there to use. The McLaren didn't work on softs as well as the Merc and they knew this. What's the point in doing practice sessions if you are just going to ignore the data when it matters? 

Take nothing away from Hamilton though, he's not my cup of tea, but that last few laps and the way he kept they tyres going to the end was brilliant

It is probably complete nonsense, but I seen rumours yesterday that Red Bull have a break clause with Perez if he is at least a certain amount of points behind Verstappen at the mid season break. If I was Marko, I'd be punting him asap and getting Lawson in

19 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

It was an awful strategy call, his race engineer was in his ear talking about covering Hamilton or Verstappen and talking about different compounds all while Norris is racing on a drying track, no wonder Norris made the wrong call, the team should have taken the decision out of his hands.

By comparison, Red Bull never once talked to Max about which compound to go onto.

I think teams end up asking more for the driver to make a call when they don't trust themselves or they don't think the drivers trust them, it's leaves them the shitebags option if it goes wrong when the driver comes steaming into the debrief.

On 08/07/2024 at 10:25, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It is probably complete nonsense, but I seen rumours yesterday that Red Bull have a break clause with Perez if he is at least a certain amount of points behind Verstappen at the mid season break. If I was Marko, I'd be punting him asap and getting Lawson in

Jonathan Noble is reporting this so there must be a decent amount of truth in it: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-says-perez-form-unsustainable-with-f1-contract-clause-set-to-kick-in/10632968/

Take out the specifics of the team and driver involved, seems mad that you would sign a new contract for the following season but you might not even get to see out the current one!

On 08/07/2024 at 10:25, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The only thing that could explain Perez's contract renewal is if he has massive sponsors behind him.

On 09/07/2024 at 15:57, welshbairn said:

The only thing that could explain Perez's contract renewal is if he has massive sponsors behind him.

On 10/07/2024 at 13:53, Mr. Brightside said:

It has been alleged that Perez shifts more merch than Verstappen, by quite a long way. It's definitely to do with money.

He is backed by the one of the richest guys in the world Carlos Slim ... mexican billionaire 😉

1 minute ago, Gianfranco said:

You have to wonder what Carlos Slim gets out of it?

Seemingly into Motorsport in a big way but also gets some of his companies logos on the cars ( telecel) see also pato o ward in indy car for the same thing