The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

1 hour ago, approximately dave said:

Rumour that AlphaTauri are about to be renamed Boss Orange or, as it appears that the team have made a deal with Hugo Boss for the clothing brand to become the main sponsor starting next season.

Be interesting to see the new livery on the new car next season.

Be interesting as well how many new F1 fans there will be around the west of Scotland sporting their merch ! 

The only livery I found online with Boss Orange livery was this from a competitor in Sim Racing who created this skin for one of his cars. It is from around 2017 but it gives an idea of what the F1 car might look like with a similar paint job. It looks better this way with the main Boss colour being black with some orange here and there and not overwhelming.  At least its not going to be called black and papaya which has to be a good thing. 

Mercedes CLR LM - Hugo Boss Orange Team 4K | RaceDepartment

Sainz has signed a pre contract with Sauber after contract negotiations with Ferrari onward past 2024 stalled. That will be both drivers away. Ferrari are by nature an absolute shambles.

Looks like Sainz will be the first driver signed by Audi.

4 hours ago, approximately dave said:

Sainz has signed a pre contract with Sauber after contract negotiations with Ferrari onward past 2024 stalled. That will be both drivers away. Ferrari are by nature an absolute shambles.

Looks like Sainz will be the first driver signed by Audi.

I thought Leclerc signed a new deal staying with Ferrari

Sainz would be a decent enough #2/back-up guy for Audi, but he's not a lead and I can't imagine for a moment they view him as one. Will be interesting to see what they do next, because they will want some sort of German presence in a race seat, but as things stand there aren't really any viable options. Possible they just roll with Bottas or something for a season or two until they are really up to speed, then go for a premier driver once they can offer the possibility of Championship wins. The one thing I have no doubts about is that they will be a Championship calibre outfit within a couple of seasons. AudiSport do not f**k about, and I doubt even the presence of Merc will slow them down.

On 31/07/2023 at 16:09, Boo Khaki said:

Wide cars aren't the problem its made out to be. Other formula have similar sized cars or larger and yet close racing and overtaking are not problems because they don't have the wake that comes off the back of an F1 car. That is the real issue with F1

Refuelling is a dead-end. It turns every race into a series of flat-out sprints, and because tyre wear isn't an issue if you are stopping 2-3 times every race, the fastest car will win 99% of the time regardless. 

1) The wide cars cause a specific issue at Monaco - otherwise it's not a problem.

2)A series of flat-out sprints pushes the natural ability and concentration of the driver to a far greater degree than 50 laps of risible 'tyre management' lectures from some poindexter engineer, in between the handful of laps where they show something like the effective pace of the car. A sprint race pace means less margin for error and more mistakes.

Let's take the 'Wall of Champions' at Montreal. There's a reason why Schumacher etc. all binned it in the race there at some point in their career, while total permadiddies like 'Logan Sargent' can finish virtually every race in 2023 without any serious hassle. 

3) Refuelling adds an extra layer of strategy on top of tyre wear (which can also be made somewhat more aggressive - or mixed by reintroducing tyre competition). It's really quite straightforward to bring interest into a race: you need more genuine strategic choices (not the Bernie water sprinkler system) that can be combined, on top of meaningful overtakes or defensive driving on track. Instead strategy is a one-trick pony of either getting fresh tyres on first or having  a 5 second gap and then just copying what the team behind you does whether you need tyres or not.

The ban on altering car setup between sessions is a risible nonsense. The lack of in-season testing combined with no impetus on tyre development means it's stale from March to November, and the fact they are utterly incapable of racing in any sort of wet conditions renders the series a laughing stock. Oh, and the 3/5 engine rule leading to almost 100% perfect in-race reliability is, by far, the one thing that has done the most to promote 'boring' racing.

Agree with all the points above, but the fortnightly blowout at the top does significantly diminish interest and indeed knowledge of the competition within the pack. I could not tell you who is running 5th in the either championship right now even if I had three guesses for the constructors'.

On 08/08/2023 at 07:49, virginton said:

2)A series of flat-out sprints pushes the natural ability and concentration of the driver to a far greater degree than 50 laps of risible 'tyre management' lectures from some poindexter engineer, in between the handful of laps where they show something like the effective pace of the car. A sprint race pace means less margin for error and more mistakes.

Let's take the 'Wall of Champions' at Montreal. There's a reason why Schumacher etc. all binned it in the race there at some point in their career, while total permadiddies like 'Logan Sargent' can finish virtually every race in 2023 without any serious hassle. 

100% agree. 

When we hear team radio along the lines of:

"Manage your tyres , Max"

"I can't drive any slower!"

Then something has gone wrong with this system. 

That's one thing that a 'tyre war' could push , but even without multiple tyre manufacturers if they just let them create the best tyre they possibly could rather than ordering a preset dropoff point in them. Drivers knowing they can and have to push the limits for the full race to be competitive would see far more action and mistakes. These guys driving just 1 or 2s per lap slower than their max potential is like them driving down the motorway with lane assist and cruise control on , takes up so little of their capacity that it makes mistakes almost impossible.  For most anyway! 

Bin DRS as well. 

Also, get rid of the "must use two compounds" rule. Artificial pish. If someone wants to run on hards, sacrificing lap time to try to save a pit stop, let them. If someone wants to do a series of sprints on the softs, let them.

A flat out sprint would, as @virginton says, increase the entertainment massively.

Every race weekend at least 1 driver bins it in FP or Qualifying because they need to go flat out.

The current tyre management pace, coupled with the lack of refuelling, just leaves races where risks are avoided, every pits the same number of times, and the stops are 2.5s long.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Will be interesting to see where this goes.

My memory of 2008 is different to this. 

What I remember of that season was Hamilton receiving a lot of penalties, some of them very dubious (eg at Belgium). 

What did Massa in that season was 2 things. Ferrari had all sorts of reliability issues. And Singapore - he should have won that but the race-fixing crash brought him into the pits and the hose didn't detach from his car. 

If he's suing anyone it should be Ferrari, Flavio Briatore and Nelson Piquet Jr. 

The Massa news story has me thinking back to the late 2000s era. 

Dont know about anyone else but I was buzzing for Hamilton, the general story etc and the way he won the Championship for the first time was class. 

Trying to think when I decided he was a fanny, almost immediately after tbh.