The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Spent the day in Monaco yesterday watching the final stage of the Tour de France starting off. 

I was like a wean at Christmas wandering round the track I've been watching on TV since I was a kid. Apologies for the reddest face known to man (it was very hot)

PXL_20240721_152502233.MP.jpg

2 hours ago, virginton said:

1) Team orders were explicitly banned for a period after the wrong team used them too many times.

I don't think it Ferrari using them too many times that caused them to be banned. It was a knee jerk reaction to the egregious case in Austria.

3 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I caught some of this on Channel 4 last night. I'm a total casual fan and still have absolutely no idea why Norris gave the place and the race win to Piastri.

Can someone explain it to me like I'm 5?

Cars with fresh tyres were significantly faster than those on older tyres. McLaren after poor calls at Silverstone a few weeks ago panicked that Hamilton who stopped earlier and had fresh tyres would make up time and pass Norris during his pit stop which would cost them a 1-2 victory.

In reality it wasn't a threat but it made McLaren pit Norris first, rather than the leading team car who usually has first call and advantage. McLaren told Piastri this - that they were going to pit Norris to keep Hamilton at bay, but it ended up costing Piastri as it gave Norris an advantage and he overtook Piastri during his pit stop. McLaren wanted to reverse this as under normal circumstance Piastri would have pitted first and been up the road by Norris's pit stop and so they spent several laps convincing Norris to give the place back as they gave Norris an advantage. 

If he ignored the team and kept the place like Vettel back in the day, team harmony would have been shot, Piastri would likely do f**k all for Norris in the future and McLaren would lose trust in Norris so it just wasn't worth it. Norris proved his point by waiting it out and the team got what they wanted. 

54 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I don't think it Ferrari using them too many times that caused them to be banned. It was a knee jerk reaction to the egregious case in Austria.

Yes, agreed. I think the how rather than the who was the issue at the time. Banning it was always a stupid knee jerk reaction to what happened, directly leading to the "Fernando is faster than you" nonsense.

17 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Who gets the Red Bull seat if/when they get rid of Perez?  

Tsunoda makes the most sense given he’s been destroying Ricciardo this year. Perez deserves punted fully and they should give Lawson the second Torro Rosso but I don’t see it happening. 

Sainz maybe?

Movements at Audi. 

Andreas Seidl, who was in charge of McLaren during their Banter Years, was poached by Audi. He then poached James Key, Technical Director at McLaren during their fun times, starting the season as the 9th best team. 

Audi now seem to have realised that they've hired utter pish. So they have replaced Seidl with Mattia Binotto. Great engineer, clownshoes at strategy. 

On 21/07/2024 at 21:15, The Golden God said:

Who gets the Red Bull seat if/when they get rid of Perez?  

Tsunoda makes the most sense given he’s been destroying Ricciardo this year. Perez deserves punted fully and they should give Lawson the second Torro Rosso but I don’t see it happening. 

It'll be Ricciardo. Horner does not rate Tsunoda, and has an inexplicable fetish for Ricciardo - despite Tsunoda being comfortably better than Danny Ric for most of the season. Lawson to get the second RB seat.

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Ocon confirmed for the second Haas seat next season. He's very lucky to be given another chance after what happened at Monaco.

Sainz's options continue to dwindle.

It amazes me how much progression into F1 has stalled. We had no rookies this year and plenty of guys who have, in my opinion, had their chance in F1 still hanging about. Is it the junior team thing, where drivers are associated with F1 teams which makes it difficult for them to take a punt at a Williams and the tightening of Superlicense restrictions. 

8 hours ago, flyingscot said:

It amazes me how much progression into F1 has stalled. We had no rookies this year and plenty of guys who have, in my opinion, had their chance in F1 still hanging about. Is it the junior team thing, where drivers are associated with F1 teams which makes it difficult for them to take a punt at a Williams and the tightening of Superlicense restrictions. 

Surely this is the year where Pascal Wehrlein unseats one of the Mercedes drivers.