The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Whether George had an advantage depends upon the cause really.

If the dry weight of the car was less than the min weight, then he would have had an advantage throughout the race.

However if it was a fuel emptying issue and Mercs weighed what they thought was a dry weight car which had fuel in it, then Russel would have had extra fuel weight in the car, and as liquid weight is the least efficient way to carry extra weight it could be argued that he was not carrying any advantage.

All of that is academic though, as it's a recorded fact and not a subjective fact.  The car was underweight and therefore a DQ was the only option really. 

1 hour ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Whether George had an advantage depends upon the cause really.

If the dry weight of the car was less than the min weight, then he would have had an advantage throughout the race.

However if it was a fuel emptying issue and Mercs weighed what they thought was a dry weight car which had fuel in it, then Russel would have had extra fuel weight in the car, and as liquid weight is the least efficient way to carry extra weight it could be argued that he was not carrying any advantage.

All of that is academic though, as it's a recorded fact and not a subjective fact.  The car was underweight and therefore a DQ was the only option really. 

Yeah, it's the kind of thing that has to be strict liability and automatic sanction, because if there was any wiggle room the teams would find all sorts of ways to exploit it. A bit frustrating for viewers that it wasn't won on the track but it's entirely Mercedes' fault.

42 minutes ago, Stu said:

Sainz to Williams confirmed.

I'm really surprised he went that way. I know he had a chance of Mercedes, but went with the customer team instead. 

Unless he's been told that Newey is going there, too?

29 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I'm really surprised he went that way. I know he had a chance of Mercedes, but went with the customer team instead. 

Unless he's been told that Newey is going there, too?

Kimi Antonelli is going to be in the Merc so I think Sainz was running out of options 

1 minute ago, doulikefish said:

Kimi Antonelli is going to be in the Merc so I think Sainz was running out of options 

It was only Williams or Audi really, and the latter would be a huge gamble

Edited by Sarto Mutiny

7 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Given the million different sensors the cars have, I assume the pit wall would have known that they were underweight almost immediately, especially with it being the only race they can't pick up marbles? That could explain why Wolff seemed in such a foul mood at the end of the race.

I had no idea until this race that the cars go round on that victory lap looking to collect as much debris as possible. Do they really pick up circa 2kg of shit in one lap? 

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I had no idea until this race that the cars go round on that victory lap looking to collect as much debris as possible. Do they really pick up circa 2kg of shit in one lap? 

Yip but it's usually for a "make sure" to make weight reason not to actually make the weight

54 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Yup, at least . I remember back in the day when he'd just switched to comms hearing brundle talk about the absolute importance of getting as much crap on your tyres on the warm down lap to make the weight . Not quite the old school levels of the pit crew rolling lead balls down the exhaust at the end to make the weight, or having "extra coolant tanks" that then emptied onto the track during the race but were then legally allowed to be filled before the weigh in, but just shows how finely everything is engineered/calculated. 

Edited by JamesP_81

Dropping Spa is fucking madness. Some tracks just deserve a place no matter what. 

Zandvoort looks like a good atmosphere which is better than some quiet tracks. It isn't a great track for overtaking. 

7 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Dropping Spa is fucking madness. Some tracks just deserve a place no matter what. 

Zandvoort looks like a good atmosphere which is better than some quiet tracks. It isn't a great track for overtaking. 

Tbf what track is anymore? Spa and Monza in particular highlight that ridiculous reliance F1 currently has on DRS, it's embarrassing.

12 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Tbf what track is anymore? Spa and Monza in particular highlight that ridiculous reliance F1 currently has on DRS, it's embarrassing.

Portimao in Portugal was a brilliant race during covid but doesn't get a look in now.

The FIA need to crack down on teams deliberately disrupting the air coming out the back of the cars (like they have done in F2 and F3) , then the racing would be much better but once teams work out the regs they then make it impossible for other cars to follow them

Edited by Spyro

5 hours ago, Spyro said:

The FIA need to crack down on teams deliberately disrupting the air coming out the back of the cars (like they have done in F2 and F3) , then the racing would be much better but once teams work out the regs they then make it impossible for other cars to follow them

That's been the main focus of all the regulation changes in recent years. In 2022 it became much easier to follow the car in front but apparently that's got worse again.

All the focus goes on dirty air but a big part of why there's less overtaking (without DRS) is that the teams and drivers are pretty close together, consistency is good, they're all extremely quick through the corners and the grid from qualifying is an accurate reflection of relative pace, so it's always likely to spread out a little and settle into a pattern rather than get mixed up. It's all about the tyres now.