The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

On 30/07/2024 at 19:12, The Golden God said:

Zandvoort is my least favourite track on the calendar. It looks like a BMX track someone has stuck cars on, get it to f**k, only there cause of Verstappen. 

You could say that about Hockenheim in the past, albeit is a far superior track

On 29/07/2024 at 16:38, scottsdad said:

I'm really surprised he went that way. I know he had a chance of Mercedes, but went with the customer team instead. 

Unless he's been told that Newey is going there, too?

I'm working off the theory he has backed a Mercedes powered team rather than a chaotic Audi one. 

Williams having Albon and Sainz tied up for a significant time is a big statement from them, fair play. 

On 31/07/2024 at 17:13, Mr. Brightside said:

Tbf what track is anymore? Spa and Monza in particular highlight that ridiculous reliance F1 currently has on DRS, it's embarrassing.

On 01/08/2024 at 05:38, Spyro said:

Portimao in Portugal was a brilliant race during covid but doesn't get a look in now.

The FIA need to crack down on teams deliberately disrupting the air coming out the back of the cars (like they have done in F2 and F3) , then the racing would be much better but once teams work out the regs they then make it impossible for other cars to follow them

The lead cars were running ridiculously close together for most of the race at Spa, and that wasn't down to the specific track. There was about 10 seconds between the top 8 until Ferrari and co. decided to make a roaring c**t of their strategy calls. The level of overtaking was also appropriate - not the daft overtake button that they used to have before sector 1 ended. 

The only issue with the racing is that the cars are nowhere near their limit on pace, thanks to gubbins tyre management and the (completely inefficient) refuelling ban. It's not as bad as it was a few years ago, but get the lead cars running around 5 seconds a lap (Spa) quicker and we'd see far more mistakes and opportunities to exploit them.

14 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Rwanda is the latest country to be drawn from Liberty's sportswashing tombola.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/rwanda-to-meet-f1-bosses-next-month-to-discuss-serious-grand-prix-bid/10642870/

I agree with getting an African GP on the calendar. 

Ideally to replace Monaco. 

Taking sportswashing money from the dictators of cash-rich countries is one thing. Taking it from the dictator of a country in which the average salary is under £1,000 a year is just sick. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great insight from Benson as ever on the BBC: "Williams have not yet said whether the car can be repaired in time for qualifying, but the extent of damage makes this unlikely."

Logan Sargeant's car is recovered after a crash

Bit of duraglit and that'll be fine.

Just now, The Golden God said:

Norris is going  to end up winning the championship and it’ll be the worst thing to happen in sport in years. 

I don't think he will - not sure there are enough races left.