The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

I’ve been watching F1 casually for years now but never been too knowledgeable when it comes to the individual teams, politics etc. I watched the 2 Netflix series which I really enjoyed and it sparked up my interest for Formula 1 again, but the producers of that series do a very good job of making the races looks interesting, because apart from the odd occasion it’s pretty boring. I don’t find Hamilton a particularly likeable character but he is an absolutely phenomenal driver. The GP’s I’ve watched live over the last couple of years have been dominated by him, to the detriment of any excitement. 

What I was going to ask someone more knowledgeable than myself, is how long has the money from sponsorships, rich fathers, governments etc. played a part in who gets a seat on the grid. From what I’ve gathered over the last couple of years Lance Stroll only has a seat because his father funds Racing Point, Sainz only has a seat because he has sponsors willing to back him with infinite amounts of money to get their branding on the car, and Perez has the backing of the Mexican government in order to get the Mexican GP on the F1 calendar and bring money into the Mexican economy. I should say I don’t know if any of that is true, but it’s stuff I’ve seen claimed by other F1 fans. When I watched F1 in the 90s and early 00s was this still the case? Guys like Fisichella, Hakkinen, Heidfeld etc...were the drivers of that era all there on merit or did money talk in the same way as it seems to do nowadays?

Edit - Also does anyone else watch the guy Aarava on YouTube, he does the F1 season on the F12020 game? I’ve actually found myself getting more drawn into his videos than I have watching an actual live Grand Prix. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

14 hours ago, Snafu said:

Not only, but you just don't see F1 cars being thrown in and out of the corners like that anymore.

Fernando looked like he was really enjoying that.

That's on full slick tyres. You couldn't drive them like that back at the time because there was about 40% less grip with the grooves

I’ve been watching F1 casually for years now but never been too knowledgeable when it comes to the individual teams, politics etc. I watched the 2 Netflix series which I really enjoyed and it sparked up my interest for Formula 1 again, but the producers of that series do a very good job of making the races looks interesting, because apart from the odd occasion it’s pretty boring. I don’t find Hamilton a particularly likeable character but he is an absolutely phenomenal driver. The GP’s I’ve watched live over the last couple of years have been dominated by him, to the detriment of any excitement. 

What I was going to ask someone more knowledgeable than myself, is how long has the money from sponsorships, rich fathers, governments etc. played a part in who gets a seat on the grid. From what I’ve gathered over the last couple of years Lance Stroll only has a seat because his father funds Racing Point, Sainz only has a seat because he has sponsors willing to back him with infinite amounts of money to get their branding on the car, and Perez has the backing of the Mexican government in order to get the Mexican GP on the F1 calendar and bring money into the Mexican economy. I should say I don’t know if any of that is true, but it’s stuff I’ve seen claimed by other F1 fans. When I watched F1 in the 90s and early 00s was this still the case? Guys like Fisichella, Hakkinen, Heidfeld etc...were the drivers of that era all there on merit or did money talk in the same way as it seems to do nowadays?

Edit - Also does anyone else watch the guy Aarava on YouTube, he does the F1 season on the F12020 game? I’ve actually found myself getting more drawn into his videos than I have watching an actual live Grand Prix. 
Pay drivers have been around since the very beginning of F1 when you had aristocrats buying their way into races. It was probably at its worst in the 90s when you had some dangerously unqualified drivers at the back of the grid. The pay drivers these days are all of a fairly decent standard due to the super license points needed to get into an F1 car. I would say Rio Haryanto in 2016 was the last complete diddy to buy himself a seat, although Mazepin has real banter potential for next season.

18 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:
11 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Pay drivers have been around since the very beginning of F1 when you had aristocrats buying their way into races. It was probably at its worst in the 90s when you had some dangerously unqualified drivers at the back of the grid. The pay drivers these days are all of a fairly decent standard due to the super license points needed to get into an F1 car. I would say Rio Haryanto in 2016 was the last complete diddy to buy himself a seat, although Mazepin has real banter potential for next season.

Must be a sickener for a driver to work their way towards F1, and then see a seat get taken by someone possibly less deserving who has the cash behind them to buy a seat. Stroll seems to get a bit of stick because his Dad funds the team, but from what I’ve seen he is probably deserving of a seat somewhere on the grid without it. 

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:
13 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I would say Maldonado has to be one of the worst I’ve seen and was only there due to backing from the Venezuelan government. Still baffles me to this day how he won a race. 

I would say Maldonado has to be one of the worst I’ve seen and was only there due to backing from the Venezuelan government. Still baffles me to this day how he won a race. 
Ide is the worst I remember. I think he only got the seat because he was Aguri Suzuki's pal.

I remember Pedro Diniz getting a lot of stick because he was pretty much the Brazilian Jacob Rees Moog, but he was an ok driver.

*Callum Ilott likes this*

Must be a sickener for a driver to work their way towards F1, and then see a seat get taken by someone possibly less deserving who has the cash behind them to buy a seat. Stroll seems to get a bit of stick because his Dad funds the team, but from what I’ve seen he is probably deserving of a seat somewhere on the grid without it. 

Was Maldonado any good? Yes, but inconsistent

Is Lancelot Stroll any good? Also yes, but when your dad's money puts you on the grid at 18 then buys a team so you can keep driving, it's going to make people unhappy:

Are any of the current "pay" drivers the worst ever? Definitely not

10 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Since forever.

Similar to football, it's a balancing act for teams, trying to finish as high as possible in the constructors championship to get more prize money. You can take the cash from someone like Stroll - which means more money to develop the car, making it faster and keeping the team afloat - but then that's countered by probably having a slower and more inexperienced driver (which is why you also have someone like Massa).

End of the day, you need money to get into and progress through motorsport. That comes from your own family (Mazepin), a manufacturer's junior programme (Hamilton), someone with money who recognises your talent (Schumacher and Willi Weber to begin with), sponsors (or businessmen) due to your nationality (Alonso and Santander), government companies (Maldonado and PDVSA) etc