This time with Alan Partridge

Billy Rubin

18 hours ago, Adrian Madaschi said:

Only minor gripe is there was no "A-HAA". Other than that a solid start to the series.

What I like about that is that it’s possibly a nod to MMM and I, Partridge where he reveals that he got permission from Benny and Bjorn’s lawyers to shout, not say, Aha until 2015. 

I'm genuinely aghast to see that this was well received.

I'll give the whole series a go, but given what he's done with this character in the past, that was massively disappointing.  For all his crassness, the comedy of AP is usually quite subtle.  Not in this though.  It needs to get markedly better.  

For me, the format isn't really working at all.  Hopefully, that changes.

I'm genuinely aghast to see that this was well received.
I'll give the whole series a go, but given what he's done with this character in the past, that was massively disappointing.  For all his crassness, the comedy of AP is usually quite subtle.  Not in this though.  It needs to get markedly better.  
For me, the format isn't really working at all.  Hopefully, that changes.

Genuinely aghast.

Calm down MT.

There's always been a mix of subtlety and the not-so-subtle. He's capable of saying just the wrong thing in a minor way to cause major offence, but then at the same time he has tried to attack hotel staff dressed as a "zombie" with bits of complimentary biscuit stuck to his face. 

Have to confess, I’m with MT here. Genuinely can’t understand the rapturous reception this has received.

Thought the first 15 minutes  or so were tedium personified, though it improved a little in the home stretch. The One Show is just such a lame target. As a televisual repository of superficiality, inanity and faux bonhomie it’s such a self-evidently monstrous creation that it’s almost satire-proof. 

Have followed Coogan’s Partridge career with decreasing interest since the glory years of The Day Today and the character, while indisputably an inspired comic creation, is ploughing the same old furrow with ever-diminishing returns. Coogan is great, but he needs better collaborators. This misses the inspired surrealist touch of an Armando Iannucci, or the anarchic satirical edge of a Chris Morris IMO.

I’ll probably watch the second episode in the hope of improvement, but in a time of ever-increasing political chaos and division, it’s Morris we need, more than ever now,  not some dreary pastiche of the One Show.

Edited by Frankie S

1 minute ago, Wasperoonie said:
8 minutes ago, GordonD said:
The next step of course is for Coogan to be a guest on the One Show.

He was on it a month ago with John C Reilly promoting Stan and Ollie...and indeed This Time.

How could I have forgotten about that? 

I cant understand folk complaining, feels like we're at the stage where folk are over analysing a fucking comedy show rather than just enjoying it. 

The boy who has seen his interest in Partridge decline with each new incarnation since TDT has had a head injury I think! Some of his best material has broadcast in the last 10 years! And that’s not to even mention the proper consensus glory days of the canon which come later than TDT

I cant understand folk complaining, feels like we're at the stage where folk are over analysing a fucking comedy show rather than just enjoying it. 

Try hards.

As mentioned earlier it’s always been a blend of subtle and in your face humour. The beauty of it is you normally notice new things every time you rewatch it.

Partridge for me has always been the facial expressions and awkward body language that has made me laugh most as opposed to the main “jokes” that are made. This time seems no different in this regard.

The one show may well be an ‘easy target’ but it’s worthwhile in that’s it’s on every night on state funded tv depicted as a serious output. As ridiculous as partridge is there’s always an element of being able to relate to a real life tv/radio host who would do something similar.

On the flip side, there are people I meet who claim they like partridge but all they ever do is quote “smell my cheese!” And it angers me as they clearly don’t get it.