The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Just now, AJ77 said:

Yep what I’ve heard.

Strange we’ve announced 2 boys on loan for next year

Pal of mine I used to work with (used to play with Alloa) replied to one of my tweets under the pen.  I've genuinely no reason to not believe him, but he's due me a wind up after I rolled out an absolute pisser of a rumour he was coming to Airdrie and it made the paper back in the day 😂

Intrigued to see how O’Connor & Aiken get on with you guys next year.

Watched them both a fair bit this season in the UEFA Youth League.

Murray Aiken played in the middle of the park/as a number 10 when I saw him and particularly against Molde he played absolutely out his skin and was the best player on the pitch, at the risk of sounding “yer da” he probably does need to bulk up but he’s a good dribbler and quite nimble on the ball, the way he moves on the ball almost reminds me of Dylan McGeouch. Hull offered us a few hundred grand for him in January and it was assumed he was signing a pre-contract there but we’ve obviously convinced him to stick around.

O’Connor is intriguing given his connections with his dad but he’s absolutely nothing like him in terms of style, he’s small, slight but very quick and a good ball carrier, has featured a couple of times in the first team too and did well to win a penalty against Aberdeen.

Will be keeping an eye out.

2 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

That wouldn’t be the same Darren Jamieson who conceded 6 against us?

the very same one.  At least no decent goalkeeper in the world has ever conceded 6, must be rotten.

Just for context........

Darren Jamieson is a Goalkeeper who has appeared in 35 matches this season in League One, playing a total of 3104 minutes. Darren Jamieson concedes an average of 1.3 goals for every 90 minutes that the player is on the pitch. Their Clean Sheets ratio is currently at 28%. That means Darren Jamieson has kept a Clean Sheet in 10 matches out of the 35 that the player has played in.

Joshua Rae is a Goalkeeper who has appeared in 16 matches this season in League One, playing a total of 1432 minutes. Joshua Rae concedes an average of 1.13 goals for every 90 minutes that the player is on the pitch. Their Clean Sheets ratio is currently at 38%. That means Joshua Rae has kept a Clean Sheet in 6 matches out of the 16 that the player has played in

Jamiesons an average League 1 keeper who's played a lot this year, if its for a one off game, I think we could do a lot worse.

19 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Excellent signings but as you say it's very weird timing for the announcements.

The timing yeah but the fact we don’t know what division we’ll be in yet as well is a bit strange for me

15 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Murray Aiken played in the middle of the park/as a number 10 when I saw him and particularly against Molde he played absolutely out his skin and was the best player on the pitch, at the risk of sounding “yer da” he probably does need to bulk up but he’s a good dribbler and quite nimble on the ball, the way he moves on the ball almost reminds me of Dylan McGeouch. Hull offered us a few hundred grand for him in January and it was assumed he was signing a pre-contract there but we’ve obviously convinced him to stick around.

O’Connor is intriguing given his connections with his dad but he’s absolutely nothing like him in terms of style, he’s small, slight but very quick and a good ball carrier, has featured a couple of times in the first team too and did well to win a penalty against Aberdeen.

We play a very expansive, attacking 4-3-3 at the moment with the wide forwards pushing very high and the two advanced midfielders finding pockets of space. I’m guessing O’Connor might be used out wide and Aiken through the middle based on that?

It’s a weird time to announce the signings but I do think whatever league we’re in we’ll be an attractive club for loans, as teams will want players playing in his style of football.

21 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Aiken seems to be rated probably only second to Laidlaw in that squad by Kean etc and was supposedly close to signing for Hull in January. 

O’Connor has looked good when I’ve seen him and is absolutely rapid so he’ll cause defences problems at Championship level if Airdrie make it there. Had Liam Scales all over the place when we beat Aberdeen 6-0.

Very promising signings from reading a lot of the comments and it's good to see us start recruiting for next season already. Does this mean that our management team will definitely be here next year? 

I'm expecting the pen to announce Robbie Hamilton, Ben Wilson, Brogan Walls, Liam McStravick and big Todorov. Is it possible that Airdrie will sign every player on Consilium Sports Group 🤔?

Edited by David Fernández
Spelling error

56 minutes ago, Mr November said:

We play a very expansive, attacking 4-3-3 at the moment with the wide forwards pushing very high and the two advanced midfielders finding pockets of space. I’m guessing O’Connor might be used out wide and Aiken through the middle based on that?

It’s a weird time to announce the signings but I do think whatever league we’re in we’ll be an attractive club for loans, as teams will want players playing in his style of football.

I think that is a good point, it's becoming well publicised that McCabe likes to play a certain way and it's clear from our goals tally this season that there's not many better places to get a chance to shine if you are a young, attack minded player. If you can't create chances and score goals in our team this season then there's not much hope for you!

Just now, Mr November said:

Seems pretty feasible, most of the time I’ve seen O’Connor he’s played through the middle but I think he can and has played wide before also.

Would definitely say Aiken looks more of an advanced midfielder that’s pretty talented on the ball and does a lot of running.

Obviously this all comes with the caveat that Championship/League 1 is a better standard than the UEFA Youth League.

First time I’ve been able to get on and post since Tuesday night. Wow. Apart from the two games in which we won promotion and then the league in 04, I’m not sure I’ve ever felt such elation during a game. Elation mixed in a heady cocktail of comfort, shock, hilarity, excitement, tension, nervousness, fear and relief when that penalty went in. A brilliant night - apart from the 20 minutes or so when it wasn’t! Credit to McCabe and the players for the team selection, performance and attitude. I was also on the McMaster train but fair fucking play to McCabe he got that team selection spot on. And credit to them also for the way they handled going down to 10 men. That’s 2 or 3 times this season we’ve had a man sent off and crumbled. But other than a wee spell after their second goal when their tails were up, Falkirk really didn’t create much of anything at all. I think Hutton only had to make one save and, for all the cross balls they put into the box (congratulations for that btw Mr McGlynn 😉) they didn’t amount to anything other than the coming together with Allan. The players on the park managed it well as did McCabe with his substitutions. McCabe’s penalty might well be the most important Airdrie goal in a long long time. Put it away so well and that’s why we should want him on the park (and taking the penalties!). 

Can’t add much more to what everyone else has said but as much as it was a whole team effort on Tuesday, I thought Frizzell, McCabe, Devenny, Ballantyne and Fordyce, apart from the mix-up with Rae, were outstanding. 

Some of my own highlights which I don’t think have been mentioned yet include - 
Actually winning, and playing well, in front of a big home crowd. 
ATS’s’ goal celebration. 
Telfer chuckling away to himself when the fifth goal went in. 
Telfer emptying Kai Kennedy towards the end of the game. 
The ‘take your time as you leave the stadium’ announcement’ coming as the Falkirk fans began to leave after the 3rd(?) goal. 
Jimmy Sandison. 
The U18s league title presentation. What an inspiring example to set to them. Always nice to see Gow too of course 😍

The tie isn’t over yet. The play-offs aren’t over yet. But, going by the preview, McCabe and the team seem to be going into tomorrow’s game with exactly the right attitude. As I thought they would. Hopefully we can take the lead fairly early on and enjoy our day ♦️🍺