The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, KD1711 said:

Jackie McNamara was at the FIFA tourney today at Hampden I was playing at and he is McCabes agent.

chatted to him for a good bit and he said that he has a good few players lined up for Airdrie next season.

By the sounds of it he was talking around half a dozen players.

Didn’t even realise he was an agent, got round to that as I asked if he was still coaching 😂

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

How did you get on?

1 hour ago, KD1711 said:

Out in group stages, me and the boy who played were normal punters and the rest of the teams bar a couple had pro gamers in it.

We had 2 teams in our group who’s players were professionals 😅

The other guy who played got beat 3-2 off a Clyde player, who had no hands.

#DalzielOut 

Nah in all seriousness great effort. Must have been fun getting to represent the club ♦️

Still not totally sunk in what happened yesterday, from McGill's goal until Rae's save was a bit of a blur!

Firstly the job that Rhys has done has been incredible. Everyone at the club was totally scunnered by the play-off defeat last year, far more than any previous one. We had the best team we'd had in years and finished miles ahead of everyone bar Cove, yet still couldn't do it. It felt like we would be stuck in League 1 forever. McCabe had to pick us up from that and came in and got us playing a much more possession based style of football (as opposed to Murray's attacking, chaotic style) which at first was over the top, we took too many risks and were a bit naive. However as the season has gone on he has managed to keep that attractive style of football but added some real solidity to the team, which is why we ultimately went up. There have been some big bumps in the road but what has impressed me has been that he has learned from them. The 2nd leg against Falkirk was a great example, we basically sat in and played a low block and grabbed a 1 nil win. If you'd said to me after 10 games of the season that McCabe would be willing (or able) to set up a team to do that I wouldn't have believed you. But crucially, 3 days earlier we'd blown Falkirk away with great football, that adaptability is something that wasn't there early on.

The other important thing to say is that as well as McCabe has done, there has been a lot of great groundwork done by lots of people to make this happen. In the last 4 seasons we've finished 3rd, 2nd, 2nd and 3rd and reached the play-off final every season (couldn't in the first year due to covid). It's only larger, full-time clubs that have finished ahead of us (plus a well backed Cove) and beaten us in play-offs. If you put yourself in position enough times eventually you're likely to get a break like we did yesterday. Our 'best 11' that started 3 of the 4 play-off games only contained 2 McCabe signings - Rae and ATS, plus Ballantyne who was signed by Murray but hadn't joined at that point. Most of McCabe's work was around developing a style of play and developing a squad who could contribute - both of which he has done superbly. But most of the parts of a promotion winning side were already there. Again, I don't mean that to take away from what he's achieved, but there are fine marginsin football and this year in the final they went our way.

We'll see what happens next season, but whatever happens we have now removed that mental block that was promotion from League 1. Got to say I thought the support we had during the play-offs was brilliant, given where the club has been for the last decade it's great to see so many people turn out and that it means so much to people. Days like yesterday are vital to bring in the next generation of supporters, hopefully we don't have to wait another decade for a day like that!

17 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Got to say I thought the support we had during the play-offs was brilliant, given where the club has been for the last decade it's great to see so many people turn out and that it means so much to people. Days like yesterday are vital to bring in the next generation of supporters, hopefully we don't have to wait another decade for a day like that!

Great post, agree with every word of it. I think this a fantastic point. There was a wee guy in front of me who watched English football but saw us beat Falkirk 6-2 for his first game last week and was back again today. That’s the sort of thing that gets you hooked and keeps you going throughout all the nonsense.

Something I’ve thought for a while, particularly after yesterday, is how grateful I am for having an enjoyable, likeable team over the last couple of seasons. Ultimately last years team failed in the big moments but watching Easton, Frizzell, Smith etc. all causing it, with some peak Murrayball thrown in too, was a good laugh. We’ve had a few frustrating bumps in the road this season, which were mostly quite comical now we’ve actually been promoted, but it’s been such an enjoyable team to watch and hopefully will be for a few seasons yet. McCabe and Fordyce are great ambassadors for the club. Two good guys who seem very settled here with their families and who genuinely want the best for the club. The connection between players, management and fans this season is the best I can remember. On and off the park the club is in the best position it’s been in for years.

I’m sure others are the same but football on a Saturday is the one time I can properly switch off from everything else. The streams were fine at the time but not being able to actually attend games during lockdown was rubbish, so to finally be allowed back and then have the two seasons we’ve had has been brilliant. Plenty of other teams like Falkirk, Queen of the South, Hamilton have had a pretty awful time of it over the last couple of seasons, and it’s easy to see why some of their supporters must be pretty fed up, but I think I enjoy going to games now more than I ever have and a lot of that is down to this team. 

16 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Great post, agree with every word of it. I think this a fantastic point. There was a wee guy in front of me who watched English football but saw us beat Falkirk 6-2 for his first game last week and was back again today. That’s the sort of thing that gets you hooked and keeps you going throughout all the nonsense.

Something I’ve thought for a while, particularly after yesterday, is how grateful I am for having an enjoyable, likeable team over the last couple of seasons. Ultimately last years team failed in the big moments but watching Easton, Frizzell, Smith etc. all causing it, with some peak Murrayball thrown in too, was a good laugh. We’ve had a few frustrating bumps in the road this season, which were mostly quite comical now we’ve actually been promoted, but it’s been such an enjoyable team to watch and hopefully will be for a few seasons yet. McCabe and Fordyce are great ambassadors for the club. Two good guys who seem very settled here with their families and who genuinely want the best for the club. The connection between players, management and fans this season is the best I can remember. On and off the park the club is in the best position it’s been in for years.

I’m sure others are the same but football on a Saturday is the one time I can properly switch off from everything else. The streams were fine at the time but not being able to actually attend games during lockdown was rubbish, so to finally be allowed back and then have the two seasons we’ve had has been brilliant. Plenty of other teams like Falkirk, Queen of the South, Hamilton have had a pretty awful time of it over the last couple of seasons, and it’s easy to see why some of their supporters must be pretty fed up, but I think I enjoy going to games now more than I ever have and a lot of that is down to this team. 

Absolutely, I think a lot of us were probably getting a bit blasé about all the goals we were scoring as well as the quality of goals we were scoring. We scored 4 or more goals on 10 occasions this season which just incredible. And if you took this season's goal of the season competition (or last season's!) I bet you every single goal would have won the competitions from pre-2020. It's only when you stop and think back to some of the players that were playing until pretty recently you realise how brilliant to watch the last 2 seasons have been.

The problem was that without promotion it was seen as being great entertainment while it lasted, but ultimately pointless. Almost more than any club we were at the stage of wanting substance more than style to get us out of this league. Now we've got the promotion to go with it the last 2 years will be looked back upon for many years.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

25 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Absolutely, I think a lot of us were probably getting a bit blasé about all the goals we were scoring as well as the quality of goals we were scoring. We scored 4 or more goals on 10 occasions this season which just incredible. And if you took this season's goal of the season competition (or last season's!) I bet you every single goal would have won the competitions from pre-2020. It's only when you stop and think back to some of the players that were playing until pretty recently you realise how brilliant to watch the last 2 seasons have been.

The problem was that without promotion it was seen as being great entertainment while it lasted, but ultimately pointless. Almost more than any club we were at the stage of wanting substance more than style to get us out of this league. Now we've got the promotion to go with it the last 2 years will be looked back upon for many years.

It’s easy to forget that just two seasons ago we started our first league game with a midfield three of Josh Kerr, Griffin Sabatini and Paul McKay, with the latter as the attacking one.

I still haven't even processed what has actually happened yesterday. A moment that will certainly live with me for the rest of my life. Games like that are the reason why we all go to the football, my mates that support the old firm will never understand the joy and emotion that I felt watching my team get promoted after 10 years of being stuck in league 1. From frying myself in Dumfries last August in 34 degree heat to freezing my bits off with horizontal rain at Kelty in February made the day feel extra special.

In typical Airdrie fashion the emotional roller coaster of feeling deflated at 2-1 down then Gabby's goal in the 91st minute was just a feeling of pure ecstacy. When all of the penalties were going in I was thinking 'typical we are gonna fall short yet again' but when I watched Josh Rae's hand palm the ball put I just went completely crazy, I think I must've hugged and celebrated with half of the stand 😆.

What was amazing to see yesterday was players like Byrd and Prince, two players that have barley featured, being front and centre doing the 'Broomfield Stomp' with us fans on the pitch. It really shows a togetherness within the team and a genuine connection with the support. 

As a relatively young Airdrie fan at 26, I would go as far to say that Rhys McCabe is certainly up there as being my all time favourite Airdrie players. His leadership on the park, communication with the players, his awesome free kicks, he's just a complete legend and also and all round great guy.

*Ridiculously long post warning*

Now that the whisky haze is starting to lift (sort of), I’ll try and make sense of what was a bonkers day on Saturday. 

I’ve been reading around and green dotting a number of takes from fellow Diamonds, all of which I agree with wholeheartedly and not too sure I can add much more, but here goes…

I went into the game with that same weird sense of optimism I’ve had in the previous three and, much like the Wednesday game, that had evaporated within 20 mins. It was basically a reversal of the first leg - I actually thought we started much better than on Wednesday and were the better team until Connor Smith’s goal. We had debated whether it was fair that Justin Deveney had lost his place but Charlie Telfer had earned it with his showing on Wednesday and was our best player in the first half.

Of course, the script very much played out like you’d expect an Airdrie playoff final to until about the 91st minute - we’d been comfortable, probing away at Hamilton’s defence, when our short corner routine leads to a goal for Accies - classic problems of our own making stuff. From then on it felt like we were ice skating up hill - save for Rhys’s free kick that hit the bar and a corner Smith did well to get a hand to. Then the sucker punch - that late Hamilton goal that I truly believed had killed us. I must have this innate thing in me now where when an Airdrie collapse is on the horizon, I just go into a trance-like state of hopeless acceptance, as I kid you not, I sat in complete silence just staring into space for the last 10 mins of the 90. Then Gabby McGill showed up.

Gal has, deservedly so, taken a great deal of the plaudits this season but I have to say that Gabby has been magnificent. Think it was 18 goals he finished on, not to mention his number of assists. The way he caught that re-bound was sweet as, and that snapped me out of the familiar malaise. I was obviously delighted when we went on to win, but that moment for me was probably the most relieved/excited/happy I’ve been watching Airdrie in a long time.

ET was probably a decent watch for a neutral but it was hellish for us - it felt like both teams were going blow for blow by this stage and, although we had our chances, I felt we dodged a couple of big bullets ourselves. You never want to verbalise it at the time but we’ve been where Hamilton were (a lot) and it did feel like they’d end up rueing some of those missed chances.

I hate penalties, I hate Airdrie in penalty shootouts and I did not feel confident. However, apparently we’d been saving them up all season, as our takers were excellent, to a man. Always feel modern shootouts are a nightmare as very few penalties are missed (not sure if it’s better takers or poorer keepers) and they seem to go on longer and hinge much more on one miss. Really feel for the Hamilton lad in that sense.

The moment we won, and everything since, as others have said, just seems too unreal. I genuinely don’t think the reality has kicked in for me, and probably won’t until our (Championship) campaign kicks off next season! 😃

Others have said it but Rhys, Dycey, Prunts, Hutts, and every single one of the players/staff have my eternal gratitude - it hasn’t been a season of plain sailing (it was never going to be) but we’ve done it and done it our way, which was by playing exciting, attacking football. They’ve ended a 26-year playoff heartache for myself and so many other Airdrie fans, making them a historic Airdrie side.

I also think it’s important to acknowledge guys like Paul Hetherington, Scott Russell, and our wonderful board of directors and staff behind the scenes, as it isn’t said enough. They’re often criticised for their perceived standoffishness and lack of communication but they go about their business quietly and efficiently, as is their right and as it should be at a football club in my view. Since they took over, they loyally respected and backed Stevie Findlay and the Trust (despite the fact that turned out to be a mistake), acted when they saw that project wasn’t working, sensibly appointed Murray and stuck with him even when others wouldn’t have, and then they took a shot with Rhys and believed in him. For all of those reasons, I truly believe our club is in the best hands, run by people who want the best for Airdrieonians, the town, and the community - I think it’s a very exciting time to be a Diamond! ♦️♦️♦️

3 hours ago, thediamonddude said:

*Ridiculously long post warning*

Now that the whisky haze is starting to lift (sort of), I’ll try and make sense of what was a bonkers day on Saturday. 

I’ve been reading around and green dotting a number of takes from fellow Diamonds, all of which I agree with wholeheartedly and not too sure I can add much more, but here goes…

I went into the game with that same weird sense of optimism I’ve had in the previous three and, much like the Wednesday game, that had evaporated within 20 mins. It was basically a reversal of the first leg - I actually thought we started much better than on Wednesday and were the better team until Connor Smith’s goal. We had debated whether it was fair that Justin Deveney had lost his place but Charlie Telfer had earned it with his showing on Wednesday and was our best player in the first half.

Of course, the script very much played out like you’d expect an Airdrie playoff final to until about the 91st minute - we’d been comfortable, probing away at Hamilton’s defence, when our short corner routine leads to a goal for Accies - classic problems of our own making stuff. From then on it felt like we were ice skating up hill - save for Rhys’s free kick that hit the bar and a corner Smith did well to get a hand to. Then the sucker punch - that late Hamilton goal that I truly believed had killed us. I must have this innate thing in me now where when an Airdrie collapse is on the horizon, I just go into a trance-like state of hopeless acceptance, as I kid you not, I sat in complete silence just staring into space for the last 10 mins of the 90. Then Gabby McGill showed up.

Gal has, deservedly so, taken a great deal of the plaudits this season but I have to say that Gabby has been magnificent. Think it was 18 goals he finished on, not to mention his number of assists. The way he caught that re-bound was sweet as, and that snapped me out of the familiar malaise. I was obviously delighted when we went on to win, but that moment for me was probably the most relieved/excited/happy I’ve been watching Airdrie in a long time.

ET was probably a decent watch for a neutral but it was hellish for us - it felt like both teams were going blow for blow by this stage and, although we had our chances, I felt we dodged a couple of big bullets ourselves. You never want to verbalise it at the time but we’ve been where Hamilton were (a lot) and it did feel like they’d end up rueing some of those missed chances.

I hate penalties, I hate Airdrie in penalty shootouts and I did not feel confident. However, apparently we’d been saving them up all season, as our takers were excellent, to a man. Always feel modern shootouts are a nightmare as very few penalties are missed (not sure if it’s better takers or poorer keepers) and they seem to go on longer and hinge much more on one miss. Really feel for the Hamilton lad in that sense.

The moment we won, and everything since, as others have said, just seems too unreal. I genuinely don’t think the reality has kicked in for me, and probably won’t until our (Championship) campaign kicks off next season! 😃

Others have said it but Rhys, Dycey, Prunts, Hutts, and every single one of the players/staff have my eternal gratitude - it hasn’t been a season of plain sailing (it was never going to be) but we’ve done it and done it our way, which was by playing exciting, attacking football. They’ve ended a 26-year playoff heartache for myself and so many other Airdrie fans, making them a historic Airdrie side.

I also think it’s important to acknowledge guys like Paul Hetherington, Scott Russell, and our wonderful board of directors and staff behind the scenes, as it isn’t said enough. They’re often criticised for their perceived standoffishness and lack of communication but they go about their business quietly and efficiently, as is their right and as it should be at a football club in my view. Since they took over, they loyally respected and backed Stevie Findlay and the Trust (despite the fact that turned out to be a mistake), acted when they saw that project wasn’t working, sensibly appointed Murray and stuck with him even when others wouldn’t have, and then they took a shot with Rhys and believed in him. For all of those reasons, I truly believe our club is in the best hands, run by people who want the best for Airdrieonians, the town, and the community - I think it’s a very exciting time to be a Diamond! ♦️♦️♦️

Damn, you pretty much summed up my feelings about yesterday, the team and the club overall.   I’ll admit, I went ‘glass half empty’ after Hamiltons second.  I should have known better, this team doesn’t give up.  But honestly, it felt like ‘Again?? Really???’   I’ve been supporting the team since the late 80s, a dangerous time since we were on the verge of promotions, cup finals and Europe.  Of course that isn’t the norm at most football clubs and even at a young age I knew that but soaked it all up.  I have to say to anyone who missed all that amazing stuff and ‘the glory years’, yesterday was about as good a day as I’ve ever experienced supporting the club and I’ve been to them all (barring Sparta Prague away, my big regret😢).  Genuinely feel optimistic about next season while being realistic and the challenge ahead.  I can only say to all my fellow Diamonds, back the team and get a season ticket if you can! Onwards and upwards, next season is going to be an exciting one 

4 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Damn, you pretty much summed up my feelings about yesterday, the team and the club overall.   I’ll admit, I went ‘glass half empty’ after Hamiltons second.  I should have known better, this team doesn’t give up.  But honestly, it felt like ‘Again?? Really???’   I’ve been supporting the team since the late 80s, a dangerous time since we were on the verge of promotions, cup finals and Europe.  Of course that isn’t the norm at most football clubs and even at a young age I knew that but soaked it all up.  I have to say to anyone who missed all that amazing stuff and ‘the glory years’, yesterday was about as good a day as I’ve ever experienced supporting the club and I’ve been to them all (barring Sparta Prague away, my big regret😢).  Genuinely feel optimistic about next season while being realistic and the challenge ahead.  I can only say to all my fellow Diamonds, back the team and get a season ticket if you can! Onwards and upwards, next season is going to be an exciting one 

Absolutely this. On the season ticket front, let's get them out early and let's give the chance to more people by allowing them the option of payment plans etc. The amount of kids that have been at games recently is tremendous and as we move up the prices will undoubtedly go up too, so let's do what we can to ensure everyone has the best chance to back our club. Times are hard for everyone at the moment but Airdrie have been an escape for many and long may it continue. 

WE ARE GOING UP!♦️

11 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

As an absolutely mature fan in my mid 70s, I endorse every word you posted. 

Utter respect to the younger fans, you have earned this. I started following the club around 1970, and had the joy of a great team to follow in the 70's a Cup Final, a Texaco Cup Final and a Spring Cup win. We had a spell in the top flight in the 80's and then the great 90's with 2 Cup Finals, and a  jaunt into Europe.

I think that those memories and the joy I got from them helped me through some grim times this century. Last Saturday was a return to those great days, with an evening of sheer joy.

So what about next season, we have just spent 210 minutes against a team that is weaker than any we face next season, and we couldn't beat them in regulation time, not good. However, anyone who followed the team through the entire season will have seen dramatic improvement in a number pf players abilities through the season, so the coaching is good. We have also seen improvement in Rhys' management of the games, so management is improving. If both can carry on improving, then we have every chance. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Does anyone have a decent guess about when we’ll start hearing about plans for next season? I’d imagine we won’t hear about contract renewals or any player releases until after the players have had their holidays so maybe 2-3 weeks away still.

For the record I think everyone who played more than a handful of games has earned their stay, and while some might have interest from elsewhere I’m hopeful that promotion will convince them to stay. I think there should be room for quality players to be brought in without many leaving since we ran with such a small main squad this season.

3 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Does anyone have a decent guess about when we’ll start hearing about plans for next season? I’d imagine we won’t hear about contract renewals or any player releases until after the players have had their holidays so maybe 2-3 weeks away still.

For the record I think everyone who played more than a handful of games has earned their stay, and while some might have interest from elsewhere I’m hopeful that promotion will convince them to stay. I think there should be room for quality players to be brought in without many leaving since we ran with such a small main squad this season.

I think we’re maybe a starting full back, centre back and midfielder away from a decent Championship team. I’ll post a bigger list later on but if we can keep all of the main players then I think we’ll be ok. I’ve harped on about consistency and squad building for years and I think this summer is a great opportunity to continue that. Offer key players like Frizzell, Smith, Gallagher, McGill, Rae etc. two year deals and look to improve on Watson, ATS, McMaster while keeping them around as squad players to challenge. It’s certainly time to progress the squad with a few key signings rather than a full rebuild.

Just now, Mr November said:

I think we’re maybe a starting full back, centre back and midfielder away from a decent Championship team. I’ll post a bigger list later on but if we can keep all of the main players then I think we’ll be ok. I’ve harped on about consistency and squad building for years and I think this summer is a great opportunity to continue that. Offer key players like Frizzell, Smith, Gallagher, McGill, Rae etc. two year deals and look to improve on Watson, ATS, McMaster while keeping them around as squad players to challenge. It’s certainly time to progress the squad with a few key signings rather than a full rebuild.

Assuming we plan to play Ballantyne at right back I’d definitely say we should be looking to bring in a left back, and a centre back is definitely needed too. Think we should be trying to bring in a couple of real quality midfielders as it will be required to continue our style of play a league up.

Agree that we should be keeping as much of the squad as possible around even as squad players while adding improvements. If you look at the bench from Saturday I think you’d agree there’s room in the squad for around 5 additions without anyone actually leaving, especially considering 5 subs are now allowed in the modern game.

2 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Assuming we plan to play Ballantyne at right back I’d definitely say we should be looking to bring in a left back, and a centre back is definitely needed too. Think we should be trying to bring in a couple of real quality midfielders as it will be required to continue our style of play a league up.

Agree that we should be keeping as much of the squad as possible around even as squad players while adding improvements. If you look at the bench from Saturday I think you’d agree there’s room in the squad for around 5 additions without anyone actually leaving, especially considering 5 subs are now allowed in the modern game.

I've just spoken to a his fan, sure he said the Aiken who we have on loan at us next season is a left back. He's really surprised that both Aiken and O'connor are both going out on loan, even at championship level.

12 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Smith

I would take smith at the rovers can play out wide plus through the middle, and if that’s a big if we have made an offer I think he will join because he doesn’t have to travel far and we could offer more in terms of wages and bonuses and that’s what it ultimately comes down to