A View From The Terrace.

Just watched this past week episode. A heartwarming peice with Harris, his dad and grandad.

Love bits like that on TV. The start of a love (most likely hate) lifelong habit. ❤️

Edit : Also love Tony's enthusiasm. The sort of fella you'd have a ball with down the pub.

Edited by Derry Alli

That time capsule segment was sensational. I don’t support any of the teams the 4 foreign players represented yet still felt the nostalgia for them all. All fantastic players but I can’t disagree with the final call, what a ridiculously good player Latapy was. 

Edited by Kyle

34 minutes ago, Kyle said:

That time capsule segment was sensational. I don’t support any of the teams the 4 foreign players represented yet still felt the nostalgia for them all. All fantastic players but I can’t disagree with the final call, what a ridiculously good player Latapy was. 

I remember Latapy leaving Falkirk at about 40 year old and I was secretly wishing we’d sign him. Fucking brilliant player. Barely remember Sauzee and Laudrup but remember Larsson and Latapy as brilliant players. 

8 hours ago, mizfit said:

That episode felt like it was back to the older way. Don’t know why but I’ve definitely felt like the last couple haven’t felt as good. 

I do like the others but it just feels right when it’s the original 4/Robert Bothwick. Just seems more complete 

13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Mind when some folk (mainly Darvel fans to be fair) were claiming they were a League 1 standard team?

Chortle. Dafties can't even win the West of Scotland Football League.

Lot of questions about how they didn't manage to get out of the West of Scotland League two years in a row with that squad and budget. But I'd still have expected them to have been above Peterhead and Clyde had they been in League One this season. 

Great show last night and it will be missed the next few weeks when this series is over. Point of pedantry to Paul Goodwin though (think it was him), Kippen is not in the heart of the Trossachs. It's not in the Trossachs at all. 

Edited by Waspie

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Based on what?

Simple enough, they have better players than those clubs. Significant number of that Darvel squad are playing well below where they could be. There are a number who would improve the Alloa side currently sitting 4th in League One. Always loathe to use cup games as a barometer but in the case of Darvel we're talking about players who are used to playing at a decent level rather those who are clearly raising their game well above normal levels in cup ties. They beat Montrose 5-2 away, beat Aberdeen and did so without being backs to the wall. While they got thumped by Falkirk, the final score didn't really reflect the game with late goals when Darvel had about 5 forwards on the park.

I'm not a Darvel fan 😁 and clearly the model isn't sustainable (and as I said, there should be real questions over their failure to win promotion), but they would have had enough for 8th in League One this season. 

2 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Simple enough, they have better players than those clubs. Significant number of that Darvel squad are playing well below where they could be. There are a number who would improve the Alloa side currently sitting 4th in League One. Always loathe to use cup games as a barometer but in the case of Darvel we're talking about players who are used to playing at a decent level rather those who are clearly raising their game well above normal levels in cup ties. They beat Montrose 5-2 away, beat Aberdeen and did so without being backs to the wall. While they got thumped by Falkirk, the final score didn't really reflect the game with late goals when Darvel had about 5 forwards on the park.

I'm not a Darvel fan 😁 and clearly the model isn't sustainable (and as I said, there should be real questions over their failure to win promotion), but they would have had enough for 8th in League One this season. 

Yet these players aren't good enough to win the West Of Scotland Football League? So how would that make them better than League 1 teams?

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Yet these players aren't good enough to win the West Of Scotland Football League? So how would that make them better than League 1 teams?

Don't think it's quite as simple as that. For one, the pyramid hasn't settled yet and there are sides in Darvel's league who are significantly better than some in the level above. Lot of blurred lines between tiers. Peterhead themselves acknowledged this season they were losing out on players to teams outside the SFL. Clyde also would be greatly improved by players in that Darvel side. Now you could make the case that Clyde and Peterhead have been particularly bad League One teams and that in normal circumstances Darvel wouldn't be up to League One. As it stands however, Darvel have better players than them and over a season I'd expect them to finish above them, even though they didn't win their league. Indeed, if Alloa played a series of games against them I think we'd probably lose some of them. All that doesn't cut Darvel any slack for not winning their league - which looks like a serious failure. 

On 22/04/2023 at 15:59, DA Baracus said:

Neither Clyde or Peterhead would have won the West of Scotland League either. I agree that Darvel are nowhere near the general standard of League One despite having a few players good enough for that level and evidently being capable of a comfortable win against teams in it on their day, but the outlier here is having two teams as bad as Clyde and Peterhead in League One rather than the second or third best team in the West of Scotland League being unusually good.

Loads of teams lose out on players due to things other than pay and ability. One of Dundee's players of the season isn't signing a new deal - apparently Hearts are interested - but he is supposedly looking to drop a few levels so he can go and study and set himself up for life early on.