It's getting hot in here!

42 minutes ago, virginton said:

No, it's really not 'applying critical thinking' to take the social media PR spin of Network Rail as an impartial, expert analysis for why the UK rail network (legal responsibility: Network Rail) is a complete fucking nick in hot weather. 

It's not 'being contrarian' to point out the obvious logical flaws in their bullshit line of explanation.

And it takes the credulity of an utter imbecile (you) to expect NR not to try and cover their backs on social media with such bullshit. Because that's how corporate PR works. 

Thanks for playing anyway chump. 

An expert in corporate PR now.  Literally no limits to your talents.  

Just think what you could achieve if you left your mums basement occasionally.  

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

An expert in corporate PR now.  Literally no limits to your talents.  

Once again, it doesn't take an expert in corporate PR to draw this conclusion from literally hundreds of incompetent companies covering their back. It only takes a moderately informed perspective on current affairs and key critical thinking skills - ones that only you have deferred to non-existent 'experts' like NR's PR spinners. 

It's really not my fault that you've made a truly abysmal choice of hill to die on in defence of 'experts', but here we are. 

Edited by vikingTON

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200817-the-sinister-ways-heatwaves-warp-the-mind

Interesting article and very much ties with my personal experiences (especially in the US and South America)

Can add lack of rain to that, whole city would get crazy. Seeing people cool down in sewage canals is not a pleasant memory (I don't think they knew - but still).

23 hours ago, throbber said:

Aftermath of the bed I slept in at the mother in laws:

2A6A33FC-5480-4DB3-BD48-658194A82A03.jpeg

15 hours ago, supermik said:

Be glad when this heatwave is over. Getting tired of changing the bed sheets every day.

DC8F1A00-9613-4B78-969F-05FCD2F5743B.jpeg

Seems to be a common problem, I feel like I'm missing out here....

4 hours ago, Satoshi said:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200817-the-sinister-ways-heatwaves-warp-the-mind

Interesting article and very much ties with my personal experiences (especially in the US and South America)

Can add lack of rain to that, whole city would get crazy. Seeing people cool down in sewage canals is not a pleasant memory (I don't think they knew - but still).

Just shows that maybe the declining state of mental health is tied to the declining state of the climate.

Are increased crime rates during heat not linked to more people sitting around drinking alcohol? 

I think most of these sort of stats boil (ha) down to that - it’s like when the increase in domestic violence Around big football games is mentioned. It’s because people go out and get on it all day rather than the event itself.

I have no evidence for this of course. 

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Are increased crime rates during heat not linked to more people sitting around drinking alcohol? 

I think most of these sort of stats boil (ha) down to that - it’s like when the increase in domestic violence Around big football games is mentioned. It’s because people go out and get on it all day rather than the event itself.

I wonder if they find a similar correlation in Muslim countries.

16 hours ago, ICTChris said:

In the UK undoubtedly, but elsewhere I don't think there's much of a correlation between increased temperature and drinking outside.

Take Brazil or Colombia, they are usually pretty warm anyway, but when they get very hot people are spending less time outside not more. And despite that violence increases.

Russia has a huge problem with violence, alcoholism and suicide despite being cold. I think there is a correlation between the further north you are and the more drinking is ingrained in the culture (what else can you do with 15 hours of darkness?).

16 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I wonder if they find a similar correlation in Muslim countries.

I am living in a Muslim SE Asian country at the moment and haven't noticed the same correlation. Wonder what KL and Singapore are like though.

42 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The weather is back to normal. A couple of warm days in July is normal IMO.

It's normal yes but just not that level of heat, well it will be normal and over the next 10 years or so will be significantly hotter.

Happy earth overshoot day!

2 days earlier than last year and a hell of a lot earlier than when it was first calculated back in 1971 when EOD was 25th December.

Interestingly france24 have put out some things about how to push the date back, reducing meat consumption by half only pushes us back 17 days, a 50% reduction in CO2 would put the date back 3 months though which would be a good aim

Edited by 101

On 22/07/2022 at 08:31, 101 said:

It's normal yes but just not that level of heat, well it will be normal and over the next 10 years or so will be significantly hotter.

It was a freak series of events, mainly involving jet streams bringing hot air up from Africa.

The idea that that level of heat in the UK will not only be normal but that it will be "significantly hotter" over the next 10 years is hysterical nonsense. It is far more likely that we will not see another day above 40 degrees celsius in the UK in our lifetimes.

Edited by Todd_is_God

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It was a freak series of events, mainly involving jet streams bringing hot air up from Africa.

The idea that that level of heat in the UK will not only be normal but that it will be "significantly hotter" over the next 10 years is hysterical nonsense. It is far more likely that we will not see another day above 40 degrees celsius in the UK in our lifetimes.

Cheryl Cole Reaction GIF by Top Talent