Karamoko Dembele

velo army

On 24/05/2019 at 17:08, eez-eh said:

I don’t think I’ve ever before seen someone spin a quarter final appearance as “one win away from a semi final”.

Edit - Scotland were only one win away from qualifying for several tournaments over the past two decades. Sounds great when you put it like that eh.

To be wholly fair, there were no quarter finals in the 1982 World Cup.

It was a second group stage and Northern Ireland, had they won their final match in the group against France, would have won the second phase and been in the semis. So I reckon it's a fitting enough phrase to use.

A bit like when some Rangers fans claim they reached the semis of the Champions League in 92/93 - they didn't as there was no semi. They finished 2nd in a group where the two group winners advanced straight to the final.

2 hours ago, RobbieD said:

Dealing with facts. His parents are Ivorian. He was born in London. Up until a few years ago, he wouldn’t even be eligible for Scotland.

He's 16 and lived in Scotland for fifteen years.  That's Scottish.  Those are the facts.

14 hours ago, forameus said:

Well, 2 out of 3 are at least.  Better than your average.

You're suggestion is someone who has lived in Scotland 95% of their life isn't Scottish?  How very ethnic nationalist of you.  I presume you vote ukip.

National identity is an individual thing, and you don't necessarily have to pick one. Ask anyone who has parents from different places and was born in a country native to neither parents, it's a complex question.

If young Dembele doesn't feel Scottish, and doesn't wholly identify as Scottish, then it's not for us to say whether he is or not. 

Ethnic nationalism might motivate someone to deny a young black man's right to self identity, just so you know.

Edited by velo army
missing word

6 minutes ago, velo army said:

National identity is an individual thing, and you don't necessarily have to pick one. Ask anyone who has parents from different places and was born in a country native to neither parents, it's a complex question.

If young Dembele doesn't feel Scottish, and doesn't wholly identify as Scottish, then it's not for us to say whether he is or not. 

Ethnic nationalism might motivate someone to deny a young black man's right to self identity, just so you know.

I think Pep should be the sole arbiter  of these things.  

Edited by Savage Henry

19 hours ago, Kuro said:

You're suggestion is someone who has lived in Scotland 95% of their life isn't Scottish?  How very ethnic nationalist of you.  I presume you vote ukip.

You’re telling someone they are a national of a country they were neither born in nor have any family from that country.

I'm just stating facts, Dembele is Scottish.  He isn't playing for England cause he feels English or identifies as such, its simply a career decision. 

My stance is the benign, welcoming, open one.  Its you lot that are a bit UKIP, you don't have to be born here or have parents from here to be Scottish.  He may also feel Ivorian too, but he is Scottish, there's no doubt about, legally as well as in every other way.

I'm just stating facts, Dembele is Scottish.  He isn't playing for England cause he feels English or identifies as such, its simply a career decision. 
My stance is the benign, welcoming, open one.  Its you lot that are a bit UKIP, you don't have to be born here or have parents from here to be Scottish.  He may also feel Ivorian too, but he is Scottish, there's no doubt about, legally as well as in every other way.
Thanks for defining nationalism
Champ ;)

17 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Thanks for defining nationalism
Champ ;)

You need to Google a definition of nationalism.  The people saying he's born in England and Ivorian parents are displaying nationalism, I'm displaying the precise opposite.

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 23:12, djchapsticks said:

To be wholly fair, there were no quarter finals in the 1982 World Cup.

It was a second group stage and Northern Ireland, had they won their final match in the group against France, would have won the second phase and been in the semis. So I reckon it's a fitting enough phrase to use.

A bit like when some Rangers fans claim they reached the semis of the Champions League in 92/93 - they didn't as there was no semi. They finished 2nd in a group where the two group winners advanced straight to the final.

43899055.jpg

On 5/31/2019 at 23:40, Kuro said:

:lol:

If you go and get a signed statement from wee Karamoko saying that, I'll accept that you're absolutely correct, and not just a sad wee fantasist pretending to be a footballer on an internet forum.

8 hours ago, forameus said:

:lol:

If you go and get a signed statement from wee Karamoko saying that, I'll accept that you're absolutely correct, and not just a sad wee fantasist pretending to be a footballer on an internet forum.

So you don't think a 16 year old who's lived in Scotland for 15 years is Scottish?  Really?  That's your position?

If karamoko dembele considers himself to be Scottish, he is Scottish and should play for us.

If karamoko dembele considers himself to be English, he is English and should play for England.

If karamoko dembele considers himself to be Ivorian, he is Ivorian and should play for the Ivory Coast.

His life. His career. His choice. Given his potential, lets just hope he chooses us.

End of story.

So you don't think a 16 year old who's lived in Scotland for 15 years is Scottish?  Really?  That's your position?
I have mates who are 35 and lived in Scotland for 35 years who would be offended by being called Scottish.

Nationality is a personal thing and if the lad doesn't feel Scottish or care about Scotland then who are you to tell him he's Scottish?

4 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

I have mates who are 35 and lived in Scotland for 35 years who would be offended by being called Scottish.

Nationality is a personal thing and if the lad doesn't feel Scottish or care about Scotland then who are you to tell him he's Scottish?

I'm staying facts, he is Scottish.  Playing for England doesn't mean he feels English he's simply making a career decision.  I'm amazed anyone requires that explained to them.

1 minute ago, Kuro said:

I'm staying facts, he is Scottish.  Playing for England doesn't mean he feels English he's simply making a career decision.  I'm amazed anyone requires that explained to them.

You can stay facts all you like but really you are stating your opinion. 

I’m similar to Karamoko Dembele (In footballing ability too imo) in that I have spent the majority of my life in Scotland but wasn’t born here, same for my whole family so I have never felt massively Scottish. He may feel the same, and thankfully your opinion means f**k all to anybody in what passport I choose and what country he chooses to play for.