Karamoko Dembele

velo army

14 hours ago, Jeremiah_Cole said:

Norman Whiteside was selected for the Northern Ireland 1982 World Cup squad at the age of 16 after 2 first team appearances for Man Utd.

He made his debut in that tournament aged 17 years and 41 days and started every game as Northern Ireland qualified from their group, beating hosts Spain 1-0 despite playing for 30 mins with 10 men. They were a win away from the semi final.

He became a regular in the Man Utd side the following season at the age of 17, playing 57 games and scoring 14 goals.

If you're good enough then you're old enough.

Whiteside was a phenomenal talent.

Demebele hasnt been a standout in his age group since he was under 14. 

His ability on the ball was amplified because his team mates/opposition were slow and weak, John Fleck had a similar story when he was just stronger than everyone. They both carried hype from that young age longer than their actual talents deserved.

I'd be surprised if Dembele doesnt have a similar career, as hes falling behind his peers physically now.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Whiteside was a phenomenal talent.

Demebele hasnt been a standout in his age group since he was under 14. 

His ability on the ball was amplified because his team mates/opposition were slow and weak, John Fleck had a similar story when he was just stronger than everyone. They both carried hype from that young age longer than their actual talents deserved.

I'd be surprised if Dembele doesnt have a similar career, as hes falling behind his peers physically now.

Dembele has been playing against older kids for years, so I’m not sure he has a physical advantage. He’s also played for the Celtic first team at 16, so he’s hardly falling behind.

12 minutes ago, woof! said:

Dembele has been playing against older kids for years, so I’m not sure he has a physical advantage. He’s also played for the Celtic first team at 16, so he’s hardly falling behind.

Hes been playing with older kids for 2 years.

Him playing for the first team means literally nothing.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I don’t think I’ve ever before seen someone spin a quarter final appearance as “one win away from a semi final”.
Edit - Scotland were only one win away from qualifying for several tournaments over the past two decades. Sounds great when you put it like that eh.
What? I wasn't old enough to watch the 1982 World Cup and even I know that there were no Quarter Finals in that World Cup, and that it had a second group stage. In which, had Northern Ireland won their final group stage match v France, they would have been in the semi final...

52 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
On 24/05/2019 at 17:08, eez-eh said:
I don’t think I’ve ever before seen someone spin a quarter final appearance as “one win away from a semi final”.
Edit - Scotland were only one win away from qualifying for several tournaments over the past two decades. Sounds great when you put it like that eh.

What? I wasn't old enough to watch the 1982 World Cup and even I know that there were no Quarter Finals in that World Cup, and that it had a second group stage. In which, had Northern Ireland won their final group stage match v France, they would have been in the semi final...

I assumed he meant they’d gotten to a quarter final.

Even then saying they were one win away is nothing but disingenuous pish to try and substantiate the point he’s making, considering they were playing France in said game and got horsed. 

It wasn’t a quarter final as such.

I assumed he meant they’d gotten to a quarter final.

Even then saying they were one win away is nothing but disingenuous pish to try and substantiate the point he’s making, considering they were playing France in said game and got horsed. 

They managed to beat hosts Spain with 10 men .

It wasn’t a quarter final as such so it makes sense to describe it as a win away.

And it’s not even really relevant to my point you clueless buffoon.

Now make your apology and scurry along.

What an angry, angry man.

Edit: an angry, angry man with multiple accounts :lol:

Your “point” was irrelevant pish anyway. I absolutely subscribe to the “if you’re good enough you’re old enough” line but some teenager that did well with Northern Ireland 3 and a half decades ago in absolutely no way means we should be capping anyone and everyone just to tie them down.

Edited by eez-eh

Don't see what the big deal is here.  Dembele clearly doesn't see himself as Scottish or he wouldn't be jumping into the England squads at every opportunity he gets.  We can't be chasing him down now.  If he wants to play for us then he will.  If he doesn't then he won't.

What an absolute car crash of a thread. Grown men suggesting ways to 'trap' a 16 year old into playing for our glorious country. Lets say that he fell for it because he won't have any advisers will he? Next squad - oops he has a slight injury & calls off. And the next one and the next and so on.....

Desperate people trying to make us a desperate success at any price.  

7 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

What an absolute car crash of a thread. Grown men suggesting ways to 'trap' a 16 year old into playing for our glorious country. Lets say that he fell for it because he won't have any advisers will he? Next squad - oops he has a slight injury & calls off. And the next one and the next and so on.....

Desperate people trying to make us a desperate success at any price.  

Its hardly a trap, say to him we'd like him to play for us, he's Scottish we're Scotland and we're planning on calling you up, are you interested?  Its hardly underhanded.

18 hours ago, Kuro said:

Its hardly a trap, say to him we'd like him to play for us, he's Scottish we're Scotland and we're planning on calling you up, are you interested?  Its hardly underhanded.

He was born in England to Ivorian parents. Who said he was Scottish? I’ve never heard the boy speak or read an interview. Maybe he doesn’t feel Scottish. 

13 minutes ago, RobbieD said:

He was born in England to Ivorian parents. Who said he was Scottish? I’ve never heard the boy speak or read an interview. Maybe he doesn’t feel Scottish. 

He's lived here for years so that means he's Scottish in Pep's eyes. Dembeles actual thoughts on the matter seem secondary to this.

3 hours ago, RobbieD said:

He's lived in Scotland since he was one.  I'm dealing in reality and facts.  He's Scottish, he's not playing for England cause he considers himself English.

On 29/05/2019 at 19:30, Kuro said:

He's lived in Scotland since he was one.  I'm dealing in reality and facts.  He's Scottish, he's not playing for England cause he considers himself English.

Dealing with facts. His parents are Ivorian. He was born in London. Up until a few years ago, he wouldn’t even be eligible for Scotland.