what hobbies do you like doing

Ylf

6 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

I can spend hours looking at maps

I've lost days of my life looking at Google Earth.

One of the practical things I use it for however is hunting for caves in Scotland (i.e. things such as old river features and collapsed depressions that aren't particularly obvious from walking around moors at ground level).  Interesting to then visit the site, dig out and discover bits of the country that nobody has ever set eyes on before before, some of which are rather pretty.  Most of the time it turns out to be a hole hopelessly choked with peat/boulders or just a grouse butt (at least you get a walk out of it), but every now and again it turns out to be an undiscovered gem.

Caving / potholing is my main hobby so I spend plenty of time wandering & crawling around underground Scotland (largely NW Highlands, Skye & random bits of rural Perthshire).  Basically, I like dirty weekends exploring tight wet holes (Ken W gif incoming...)

Edited by Hedgecutter

I've lost days of my life looking at Google Earth.

One of the practical things I use it for however is hunting for caves in Scotland (i.e. things such as old river features and collapsed depressions that aren't particularly obvious from walking around moors at ground level).  Interesting to then visit the site, dig out and discover bits of the country that nobody has ever set eyes on before before, some of which are rather pretty.  Most of the time it turns out to be a hole hopelessly choked with peat/boulders or just a grouse butt (at least you get a walk out of it), but every now and again it turns out to be an undiscovered gem.

Caving / potholing is my main hobby so I spend plenty of time wandering & crawling around underground Scotland (largely NW Highlands, Skye & random bits of rural Perthshire).  Basically, I like dirty weekends exploring tight wet holes (Ken W gif incoming...)

I'm the same, i'm not a massive fan of technology but Google Earth is amazing, one of modern lifes greatest things, you've taken it to the next level it never even crossed my mind to use it that way you've piqued my interest, but i'm not going potholing ever again, funny thing with claustrophobia is you don't know you have it till you're squeezing your way through a tight space underground.

I used to do the Airfix thing. Looking to get back into it and have bought a few kits.

Most of my spare time is spent with the bikes. Either in the workshop, at trackdays or race meetings.  Next one is 18/19 May at East Fortune.  

HqDehEW.jpg

UGlfPQS.jpg

8bUv3Va.jpg

nf1FGfP.jpg

5DRl4hO.jpg

TuN9QxL.jpg

moto

5 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

I used to do the Airfix thing. Looking to get back into it and have bought a few kits.

Most of my spare time is spent with the bikes. Either in the workshop, at trackdays or race meetings.  Next one is 18/19 May at East Fortune.  

HqDehEW.jpg

UGlfPQS.jpg

8bUv3Va.jpg

nf1FGfP.jpg

5DRl4hO.jpg

TuN9QxL.jpg

moto

You should've taken your crash helmet off for the last one.

Have collected stuff for years, it does my missus' head in tbh.

Football scarves, match programmes, football shirts, badges, ticket stubs, concert posters, banknotes, OS maps.

The most interesting OS map I have is one of Ancient Britain which shows the locations of archaeological monuments and sites, from the Mesolithic Stone Age up to early Medieval times. Really interesting map, if you like historical stuff. 

Picked it up at an auction along with a shoebox full of old OS maps, auctions are well worth checking out if you're into stuff like maps.

I love desert island discs too.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Should post some photos, sounds interesting.

This chamber is in Assynt, north of Ullapool (I didn't find it though).  You could fit the whole of Edinburgh's Usher Hall inside this one chamber that's at the end of a 3km long cave.

Ivan-Young-The-Great-Northern-Time-Machi 

Some 'interesting' bits to negotiate in order to get down to it mind, but if you know how to clip a karabiner onto a bit of rope then it's fairly straight forward.  Basically a more interesting combination of climbing/scrambling/canyoning (with the occasional, but not hugely difficult, bit of awkward squeezing).

IMe9DYA_uN0z4U76PomhWtB2MvLJihvubZ24sdg6 

This chamber is in Assynt, north of Ullapool (I didn't find it though).  You could fit the whole of Edinburgh's Usher Hall inside this one chamber that's at the end of a 3km long cave.
Ivan-Young-The-Great-Northern-Time-Machine-Uamh-an-Claonaite-Cave-of-the-Sloping-Rock-Sutherland-Scotland-UK.jpg&key=faeeac9964ab9c35bb2c0a84e4d19ea392415e4e68e7aa135ad16e84299dc3b3 

Some 'interesting' bits to negotiate in order to get down to it mind, but if you know how to clip a karabiner onto a bit of rope then it's fairly straight forward.  Basically a more interesting combination of climbing/scrambling/canyoning (with the occasional, but not hugely difficult, bit of awkward squeezing).
IMe9DYA_uN0z4U76PomhWtB2MvLJihvubZ24sdg6mdUEMyzl_NnyqIU8GLBvUSIJO3Rm5v2qDuVzXM63a1hdHxmwnG_bgorDeMm7buePiLBgpdjtgiEU4ZBXfjdOUIV35YTAf-KU&key=c4b0bf9a5a4f43936854a5e183adb9c3a0cb1a02dc68d572d827caa1c5293b07 

Which bus did you get to get to the second location?

Landscape photography when I can be arsed, hillwalking, MTB and road biking. On the subject of Google Earth get the street level thing fired up and check out Carrot hill in Angus. Highly shady behaviour from the boy in the Audi [emoji38]

3 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Landscape photography when I can be arsed, hillwalking, MTB and road biking. On the subject of Google Earth get the street level thing fired up and check out Carrot hill in Angus. Highly shady behaviour from the boy in the Audi emoji38.png

I prefer to bury my bodies a bit further away from the road, but he's got the right idea.

CarrotHill.PNG.6a8436563f9c68eb9fed62dc49a51719.PNG

HqDehEW.jpg&key=ad1b5f84bf1894f1f100a0722661d6fff7bf868d8e3be8943e713b0cf14bafac
UGlfPQS.jpg&key=f0b15b53077dcfef517d4a1f05d0602526bf047b978917103feb6def209225dc
8bUv3Va.jpg&key=8db000986c62f4c82014f4ca02570f7733e36f367064ea0f75cf3f5a43588b39
nf1FGfP.jpg&key=218d7ac365dde4611fae22ff4080cf8c30b70fb7feb838ffe051389565bff93c
5DRl4hO.jpg&key=9271ffbfd90004ecdd15199dcc8025a2018a3cc8a907d72fa370395e98da1c9d
TuN9QxL.jpg&key=385a58bbb1a4e6752a0cc23d439256ada98d2067ee9dc1f8a9e07ac4655d14a5
moto.gif&key=6345788cbbecaee602771bad94a8a67bcb5570b077bb101562f2734384497257
[emoji1] [emoji1] 220px-Dara_%C3%93_Briain_2011_BAFTAs-1.jpg220px-Dara_%C3%93_Briain_2011_BAFTAs-1.jpg

7 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Ivan-Young-The-Great-Northern-Time-Machi 

IMe9DYA_uN0z4U76PomhWtB2MvLJihvubZ24sdg6 

I could cope with the claustrophobia but not the shell suit.

8 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Landscape photography when I can be arsed, hillwalking, MTB and road biking. On the subject of Google Earth get the street level thing fired up and check out Carrot hill in Angus. Highly shady behaviour from the boy in the Audi emoji38.png

Putting up a tent?