English Premier League 2019-20

I remember well the time Alex Ferguson took Aberdeen to Anfield expecting to give them a game. The game at Pittodrie was 0-0, and I think that was the first leg, but anyway, they had high hopes of beating Liverpool. It finished 4-0 and even Jocky got a goal. More Scots were probably cheering on Liverpool that night than Aberdeen.

Liverpool had actually won 1-0 In Aberdeen with Terry McDermott getting the goal

Willie Miller opened the scoring at Anfield with An own goal, Phil Neal, Dalglish and Hansen got the other three

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

This second team thing is a lot of pish. I hate fans of Scottish teams having an ‘English’ team. Pure bollocks.

The teams I ‘have’ / follow / support / like / watch - that aren’t St Mirren are listed in my signature text. Different countries, indeed, different sports. One of them is an English Premier League team. Don’t think it’s bollocks, or worthy of hatred. Each to their own though.

11 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Robertson only the 5th Scot to win the FA Carling Premiership is crazy imo.

I took a guess at the other 4 and got it wrong. I thought Kevin Gallagher had enough games before his injury to get a medal. Darren Ferguson? He was never good enough for Man Utd. Wonder how he got picked?

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I took a guess at the other 4 and got it wrong. I thought Kevin Gallagher had enough games before his injury to get a medal. Darren Ferguson? He was never good enough for Man Utd. Wonder how he got picked?

Fletcher, McClair and Hendry?

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Fletcher, McClair and Hendry?

Yep, Ferguson, Fletcher, McClair and Hendry. 

Darren Ferguson played 20 odd games in 92/93.

1 minute ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

didn't Michael Stewart manage to get a PL winner's medal?

I don’t even think he played 10 times for United let alone 10 league games in one season.

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

Do we think Chelsea are going to stop City tomorrow?

Sky will be praying they don’t.

If  Man City do fail to win, I think that’ll be the first time Sky haven’t shown the title-winning game in the EPL era (whether it be a team winning it themselves, or another team faltering). 

On the subject of English teams. There is a difference between saying you support Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City etc and actually following a team.
I lived in London for a few years in the late 80s and Palace became my team. They were old Div 2 at first but I watched them come up through the playoffs in the pre Wembley final days. I ended up having a season ticket for a couple of years and even went to a few away games when I could. 9-0 at Anfield being one.
Now I live back up here I haven’t been to see them live for years now but I would still consider myself a fan.

Loving the suggestion that Alex Ferguson would jeopardise his job and his chance of winning his first league title in charge of Man Utd so that he could pick his son frequently. It couldn't possibly be that he was one of the several promising youngsters who were given plenty of chances in the first team (Curtis, Clegg, Wallwork, Chadwick, Greening, Eagles etc)   but who never quite made it, no it must be nepotism.

It's not like he was some awful player anyway - he made a good career for himself in the second and third tiers.

Loving the suggestion that Alex Ferguson would jeopardise his job and his chance of winning his first league title in charge of Man Utd so that he could pick his son frequently. It couldn't possibly be that he was one of the several promising youngsters who were given plenty of chances in the first team (Curtis, Clegg, Wallwork, Chadwick, Greening, Eagles etc)   but who never quite made it, no it must be nepotism.
It's not like he was some awful player anyway - he made a good career for himself in the second and third tiers.

According to Wikipedia he owes his medal to Bryan Robson getting injured and an understudy being required

Guest SJP79
32 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

On the subject of English teams. There is a difference between saying you support Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City etc and actually following a team.
I lived in London for a few years in the late 80s and Palace became my team. They were old Div 2 at first but I watched them come up through the playoffs in the pre Wembley final days. I ended up having a season ticket for a couple of years and even went to a few away games when I could. 9-0 at Anfield being one.
Now I live back up here I haven’t been to see them live for years now but I would still consider myself a fan.

It was more a point of the amount of money Scottish fans are putting into English football in one way or another. 

40 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

That’s different mate. You lived there and followed a team for the love of football.

Its not like you were running about in Dunfermline with a Liverpool or Utd top on cos you watch them on Sky.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

I don't think you see English club shirts 'the whole time'. Maybe quite a few in the 80's and 90's, but not now.
Having two kids that wear a lot of strips I've realised that good quality strips can be bought cheaply from Chinese ebay sites, for most of the big teams in Europe. Its weird, but you get a full real Madrid /barca/city /psg strip for around 15 quid.

Compare that to buying a Scottish top and you're looking at 60 quid. It's a no brainer.

I even managed to get my daughter a spurs away kit because she liked Harry kane.

That Liverpool team are relentless with the pressuring the opposing team, and ruthless up front. They’re actually brilliant to watch.

Also, the money pumped in to the English game from Scotland is minuscule. I know about half a dozen people who “follow” English teams. 3 who’re season ticket holders at Anfield and 3, possibly 4, who attend games at Old Trafford. The Manchester United fans are of similar ages to me and grew up in the 90’s when surprise surprise, Man Utd were the dominant team in british football.

One of the lads who supports Liverpool is from Aberdeen surprisingly, although his family are from down there and he also had a season ticket for Pittodrie.