Cove Thread

5 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

You guys should remember Kyle Connel scoring a couple of belters against Cove when we shocked you 4-0 at Bayview few seasons ago.

I do remember that very well. He scored a screamer at Balmoral against for us too.

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Luke Strachan who was recently released from Dundee and had a spell on loan at the Wasps 

@printer / @Kevchenko - what should we expect?

Screenshot_2023-06-06-15-51-43-71_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

I quite liked him, although I know some Alloa fans didn't (unfairly IMO as he wasn't fully fit for his last handful of games, but played because of other injuries and those games were so important).

He played mainly as a wing back for us, but might be better as LB in a back four. He links up well with his strikers and has decent delivery off both feet. Also has a useful long throw. 

Looked to me like he is still learning the defensive side of the game, but was OK at that.

Hope he does well.

2 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

The reality is that Cove will be at the very very bottom of the food chain when it comes to signing full-time players. I saw some of the names being suggested by (some) Cove fans and I couldn’t help but laugh… sorry. I’m sure I read Curtis Main being suggested. He’s more likely to end up at Aberdeen again than Cove.

imo it’ll be selection of young kids let go by bigger clubs, old pros coming to the very end of their careers and possibly some kind of link-up with Aberdeen. The other possibility of course is that huge sums of money are going to entice bigger names to the club… very dangerous.

I may be completely wrong of course but I still think it’s too soon and a massive gamble to go full-time but best of luck with it.

It was me that suggested Main and it wasn’t because I thought he sign for cove. Someone said Robinson said in interview that he was competing with league 1 sides who could offer more wages. Didn’t know it was league one in England 👍🏻

1 hour ago, printer said:

I quite liked him, although I know some Alloa fans didn't (unfairly IMO as he wasn't fully fit for his last handful of games, but played because of other injuries and those games were so important).

He played mainly as a wing back for us, but might be better as LB in a back four. He links up well with his strikers and has decent delivery off both feet. Also has a useful long throw. 

Looked to me like he is still learning the defensive side of the game, but was OK at that.

Hope he does well.

Will be interesting to see if Connell and Strachan are regulars or competition/backup. If we retain Mitch, we'll definitely splash some cash on a more proven striker.

Luke is our only LB on the books at the moment. Expected us to go for Mason Hancock or Brody Paterson, might still do. Having never seen Strachan I have no idea how he places against either of them. Alternatively Ngwenya is another I thought we might go for, even on loan if not released this year (has one more left on his contract).

I see Strachan has a fair few assists across his two spells on loan with Forfar and yourselves. Problem a relatively low risk signing who isn't commanding a big wage but hope he kicks on and does well.

5 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Ah that would make sense. He's undoubtedly capable at  L1 level and could develop or could flat line. Guess it's low risk and wouldn't be costing overly much.

He's got some attributes similar to Hester for me. 

He’s undoubtedly a hard worker, and will bust a gut for you, but scoring much for you likely won’t happen if he’s the sole forward. As one of a pair of attackers he’s probably now about the right level, if not just because of his pesky nature. His absolutely never ending efforts made him a likable player.

5 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

I wanted us to be looking at him as an option last summer as he was a nuisance against us for Airdrie.

Didn't work out for him at Raith but I was surprised to see him drop as low as East Kilbride so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

He had to drop down to Ek cause he played with two clubs in the top 4 leagues

15 hours ago, printer said:

Hope he does well.

Completely echo these thoughts and think it’s a really good signing. 

The defensive side definitely needs some work but that makes me lean towards him more as a wing back - he’s certainly not afraid to get forward and as Printer has said, can deliver in a wicked cross. 

He comes across as a decent kid as well so hoping things work out for him. 

Logan dissolves his plumbing business and is looking for an offshore oil and gas job, can't do that an play professional football so he's away.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10795821/aberdeen-shay-logan-plumbing-new-career-cove-rangers/

Edited by CoveRangers1922

3 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Logan dissolves his plumbing business and is looking for an offshore oil and gas job, can't do that an play professional football so he's away.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10795821/aberdeen-shay-logan-plumbing-new-career-cove-rangers/

It's actually surprising how many Ex-Pro's work offshore. I did a bit of oil & gas work in my last job and stumbled across a good few, most notably Lee Wilkie, Scott Severin and Kevin Kyle but there are others. Good money to be made in that sector, potentially, he could probably make more than he did at the height of his football playing so good luck to him, if it's the lifestyle you desire.

Just now, BB_Bino said:

It's actually surprising how many Ex-Pro's work offshore. I did a bit of oil & gas work in my last job and stumbled across a good few, most notably Lee Wilkie, Scott Severin and Kevin Kyle but there are others. Good money to be made in that sector, potentially, he could probably make more than he did at the height of his football playing so good luck to him, if it's the lifestyle you desire.

There are a few offshore as it can be lucrative as you say. Shay should have amassed a small fortune in his career to date but clearly is looking for a new challenge. It's a tough lifestyle that isn't for all.

He comes with baggage although I would have liked to see him honour the last year of his contract as he would more than good enough for L1.

42 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Remember Lee Wilkie coming into my work delivering a few years ago. Ducking down to come in the door where deliveries come in. Trying work out where I knew him from. 

Doug Rougvie use to be involved with it too.

38 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Remember Lee Wilkie coming into my work delivering a few years ago. Ducking down to come in the door where deliveries come in. Trying work out where I knew him from. 

Doug Rougvie use to be involved with it too.

Remember getting on the chopper one day and being faced with Doug Rougvie sitting opposite, at least he had his teeth in i think. Also met Calum McDonald who i sponsord during his time at Peterhead waiting to go offshore at the heliport. The other well know ex player to go offshore was the late Davy Robb "The Brush" who was offshore as a scaffolder.

14 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Remember getting on the chopper one day and being faced with Doug Rougvie sitting opposite, at least he had his teeth in i think. Also met Calum McDonald who i sponsord during his time at Peterhead waiting to go offshore at the heliport. The other well know ex player to go offshore was the late Davy Robb "The Brush" who was offshore as a scaffolder.

I’m sure Callum MacDonald was working offshore when he played for Montrose. Works for Bee Inspired now apparently.

1 minute ago, Aidan said:

I’m sure Callum MacDonald was working offshore when he played for Montrose. Works for Bee Inspired now apparently.

cant remember exactly what else he did but think he did  quite a bit of watching teams/players fo teams. Good lad who alway gave his all