Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

15 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

Absolutely agree about the huge refresh and perhaps the most important part of that is the management. I'm expecting Swift to take over next season but I also wouldn't be overly surprised if the board extend Duffy's contract - particularly if we were to stay up. Duffy must go regardless of what happens tonight. 

Got to have a go right from the start tonight. None of this 'keeping it tight' nonsense - we simply cannot afford to sit back and allow Annan to settle into the game. Intae them!!!

Agree Duffy isn’t the long term solution as manager. I’d give Swift a go, he can’t do any worse than Duffy or Lennon this season. Also, his tactics can’t be as negative and eye bleedingly painful to watch, either!

5 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Why can’t they be? 

I suppose it's possible that Swift could be equally as bad or (God forbid) even worse than Duffy but it's highly unlikely a younger manager could be that negative and uninspiring. Either way, definitely a risk worth taking! Anyone who thinks we should continue with Duffy needs their head examined.

8 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

I suppose it's possible that Swift could be equally as bad or (God forbid) even worse than Duffy but it's highly unlikely a younger manager could be that negative and uninspiring. Either way, definitely a risk worth taking! Anyone who thinks we should continue with Duffy needs their head examined.

Why did Stenny sack him?

9 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Why did Stenny sack him?

Not a clue. I should add that I'm only advocating the appointment of Swift as I'm assuming the rumour he was brought in to replace Duffy next season is true. Given that, he's probably the only other option the board are considering at this point. I'm more than happy for the club to open up the position to other candidates (including Swift) and would welcome such a move. 

***edited to add*** 

Just looked it up and it seems he was sacked by Stenny as a result of a run of 7 games without a win.

"The former Stranraer, Linlithgow Rose and Ayr United defender had been gaffer at the club for a year and a half, replacing Davie Irons in April last year, overseeing 69 matches since then, 26 of them won and 28 lost, and was named as League 2 manager of the month in February."

Almost a 50% win rate. Impressive by our standards!

Edited by RutherGlen

1 minute ago, RutherGlen said:

Not a clue. I should add that I'm only advocating the appointment of Swift as I'm assuming the rumour he was brought in to replace Duffy next season is true. Given that, he's probably the only other option the board are considering at this point. I'm more than happy for the club to open up the position to other candidates (including Swift) and would welcome such a move. 

I realise you’re not endorsing him. It was a genuine question. If Duffy does leave, as I hope he does…. I think rather than just promoting the Asst manager, applications should be sought.

25 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Why did Stenny sack him?

In a nut shell his time at Stenny was defined by poor recruitment in key areas of the park ( goalkeepers) especially in his first season , had a good budget and was able to put together a relatively strong squad but not get much out them in his second season, rigid tactics with no plan B including not being able to turnaround the team when things got bad and not progressing the club to deliver on goals that the board wanted 

Edited by Ocelot1877

He might well be given the job, but I’ve never seen it as Swift was brought in to always succeed Duffy after the season is done. He was obviously available at the time and wanted back into football. 

Wouldn’t be against him getting it, but if we go another way it’ll need to be done quickly. 

24 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Why did Stenny sack him?

I know you're a sad loser guy on some kind of weird wee fishing frenzy, but this is actually a good point.

Rendered moot by the fact that Stenny have a larger budget than us, which will certainly be the case again next season. This means that we have to feed off of the likes of Stenny's scraps, including management. We just have to hope that he's learned from his tenure at Ochilview and doesn't make the same mistakes again.

2 minutes ago, TamClyde said:

Nothing to lose tonight. We are as good as down, up to the players now. If they really want it as much as the fans then we will succeed, if not, cheery bye L1!

If only football were so simple! 

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I know you're a sad loser guy on some kind of weird wee fishing frenzy, but this is actually a good point.

Rendered moot by the fact that Stenny have a larger budget than us, which will certainly be the case again next season. This means that we have to feed off of the likes of Stenny's scraps, including management. We just have to hope that he's learned from his tenure at Ochilview and doesn't make the same mistakes again.

A very sad loser- like most Clyde fans given the results this season.

Whatever happens tonight we need things sorted ASAP. Being involved in the playoffs already means we are a couple of weeks behind most clubs in terms of contracts and recruitment. Duffy is notoriously bad for last minute shopping too, I’m talking 7 signed players on the eve of the league cup campaign type situation.

If we are planning to replace him I hope something is lined up to happen immediately (but I doubt it).

16 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Whatever happens tonight we need things sorted ASAP. Being involved in the playoffs already means we are a couple of weeks behind most clubs in terms of contracts and recruitment. Duffy is notoriously bad for last minute shopping too, I’m talking 7 signed players on the eve of the league cup campaign type situation.

If we are planning to replace him I hope something is lined up to happen immediately (but I doubt it).

Sneaky feeling the swift rumours are true. But since he's came in the ship has steadied (albeit still poorly) and the rot stopped, just too little too late unfortunately. If he was given job permanately would be happy enough to see what he can do. 

1 hour ago, TamClyde said:

Sneaky feeling the swift rumours are true. But since he's came in the ship has steadied (albeit still poorly) and the rot stopped, just too little too late unfortunately. If he was given job permanately would be happy enough to see what he can do. 

Not so sure about his steadying affect...He was brought in in February.  I don't think I saw an uptick from then on.

17 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Not so sure about his steadying affect...He was brought in in February.  I don't think I saw an uptick from then on.

We got 13 out of 24 points from February onwards, so would be fair to say there was a bit of improvement at least.