Runners and Riders.... Next PM.

9 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
9 hours ago, Sooky said:
Leadsom was the Brexiteer choice during the last leadership election but, to give an example of how far things have changed, raving Brexiteers now hate her. She voted for the Withdrawal Agreement and therefore, in their eyes, doesn’t support Brexit...

As did Boris

As did all the leavers currently in the race for PM, apart from Baker. 

14 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s going to be fascinating if a hard line Brexiteer is elected then realises that they are simply unable to deliver the one thing they were elected on.

I wouldn't be so sure.  A lot of them are "storm out of the room" quitters who accept a role only if they can make a dramatic resignation when the Brexit talks hit an impasse.

Easy to do if you are Minister in charge of baby-wipes but not so easy if you are the Prime Minister.

Some have entered the contest to indicate that they want to be Prime Minister one day but not while Brexit is still on the go.

Expect several to quit the race because of a bad back or a sore tooth or something to do with the family cat.

30 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I wouldn't be so sure.  A lot of them are "storm out of the room" quitters who accept a role only if they can make a dramatic resignation when the Brexit talks hit an impasse.

Easy to do if you are Minister in charge of baby-wipes but not so easy if you are the Prime Minister.

Some have entered the contest to indicate that they want to be Prime Minister one day but not while Brexit is still on the go.

Expect several to quit the race because of a bad back or a sore tooth or something to do with the family cat.

The family cat comes before the country. Every time!

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

This, of course, has a huge amount of truth to it.  Many runners are simply positioning themselves for the future.

However they will need to play it carefully.

I’m always wary of predictions of ‘seismic changes’ in U.K. politics, but history has shown us such changes will eventually take place.

It will be interesting if all those jockeying for position are akin to those looking for promoted positions on the staff of the Titanic.

23 hours ago, Sooky said:

Leadsom was the Brexiteer choice during the last leadership election but, to give an example of how far things have changed, raving Brexiteers now hate her. She voted for the Withdrawal Agreement and therefore, in their eyes, doesn’t support Brexit...

What was even better, was listening to woody telling us that we'd soon be rattling into his chlorenated chicken and then attending his private clinic once we'd fallen ill.

I couldn't help but think, oh my God, we are so screwed here. Let's just hope and pray that we (Scotland) get the hell away from this before it's too late..................

Cleverly has withdrawn this morning. The other nonentities - Stewart, Malthouse, Harper, Leadsom, McVey and Hancock - should follow his example. 

The campaigns of Gove and Raab are stuttering. It increasingly looks like a straight fight between Hunt and Johnson.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

21 hours ago, WATTOO said:

What was even better, was listening to woody telling us that we'd soon be rattling into his chlorenated chicken and then attending his private clinic once we'd fallen ill.

I couldn't help but think, oh my God, we are so screwed here. Let's just hope and pray that we (Scotland) get the hell away from this before it's too late..................

It is frightening.  I'm really struggling to think of any other nation which has so prostrated itself before another as the Tories are now preparing to do, with the full connivance of the domestic media.  It's as if some of them will not rest until the UK is firmly positioned in a list between Tennessee and Utah, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Britons are driving on the right side of the road within five years.  Never mind a parcel o' rogues, this is state-sponsored masochism with knobs......well, anywhere you care to put them, Uncle Sam.

Surely even the thickest, most bigoted and racist Brexiteer has to realise what's about to unfold here.

6 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It is frightening.  I'm really struggling to think of any other nation which has so prostrated itself before another as the Tories are now preparing to do, with the full connivance of the domestic media.  It's as if some of them will not rest until the UK is firmly positioned in a list between Tennessee and Utah, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Britons are driving on the right side of the road within five years.  Never mind a parcel o' rogues, this is state-sponsored masochism with knobs......well, anywhere you care to put them, Uncle Sam.

Surely even the thickest, most bigoted and racist Brexiteer has to realise what's about to unfold here.

You would think but sadly that's far from the case.  

I post on a few threads on ADVFN and people who you would think would know better appear to be actively looking for stories to promote the USA while anything  positive about Europe is seen as "collaborating with the enemy" (in the old use of the word) and they honestly seem to believe that Trump has OUR best interests at heart.

As you say, It IS frightening and what's more, these are the very people who have our future in their hands...........

2 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Cleverly has withdrawn this morning.

The other nonentities - Stewart, Malthouse, Harper, Leadsom, McVey and Hancock - should follow his example. 

The campaigns of Gove and Raab are stuttering. It increasingly looks like a straight fight between Hunt and Johnson.

Hopefully not.  The bigger the shitshow the better.

20 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Cleverly has withdrawn this morning. The other nonentities - Stewart, Malthouse, Harper, Leadsom, McVey and Hancock - should follow his example. 

Hadn't really paid much attention to Rory Stewart before this all kicked off, but he comes across to me as the least worst of the options available. If not for his family background you would never have him pegged as a Tory.

Hadn't really paid much attention to Rory Stewart before this all kicked off, but he comes across to me as the least worst of the options available. If not for his family background you would never have him pegged as a Tory.
Apart from all the times he has voted to cut disability benefits etc

23 minutes ago, doulikefish said:
28 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Apart from all the times he has voted to cut disability benefits etc

His voting record is dodgy to be fair, but his work in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as how he represents his constituency(The odd stupid comment aside) is not what you'd expect of a modern day Tory politician. He seems to be all over the place with his views and what he has actually done.

Edited by Ross.