Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

20 minutes ago, ekok said:

get Derek Mcinnes in now. Won't win us any trebles,  but will reset the Rangers way.

A fairly nuclear approach, but effectively guaranteeing silverware by going through the West of Scotland and Lowland leagues I suppose.

28 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Hmmm. I’ve never yet been convinced by Beale but it’s his (many) players, his gameplan and now 1/2 dozen or so games in, I think he’s been given all the rope he’s needed to convincingly hang himself. 

A win (🤣) on Sunday against Brendan’s faltering team who similarly don’t seem to get what they’re being asked to do and I reckon it’s only a stay of execution. 

Not sure why you'd think that. Scraping past Greenock Morton in a cup game. Being pumped by Kilmarnock in the league and being blown away by a real Champions League outfit is about the level Rangers fans can expect, as long as they make runners up in the league each season.

35 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Hmmm. I’ve never yet been convinced by Beale but it’s his (many) players, his gameplan and now 1/2 dozen or so games in, I think he’s been given all the rope he’s needed to convincingly hang himself. 

A win (🤣) on Sunday against Brendan’s faltering team who similarly don’t seem to get what they’re being asked to do and I reckon it’s only a stay of execution. 

Beale's appointment was always questionable and it now looks even more like a low-cost punt.  Returning players and managers seldom cut it second time around, and he was hardly tearing up any trees at Loftus Road before his return.  The signings look to be highly questionable too with Morelos and Kent having been replaced with players more the quality of Itten, Sakala and Wright.

A bad defeat on Sunday will likely press the ejector button but whoever comes in will be dealt a pretty bum hand squad-wise, with little genuine quality evident.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Do you have the relevant law handy for this, as my understanding is that you are wrong.

Not trying to be a dick, I genuinely want to know.

I believe it would be an indirect free kick for handling a passback, no card though.

The only time a keeper can be booked or sent off for handling in his own box is if it's an illegal second touch following a goal kick or free kick.

51 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

They really are. Hopefully teams have a bit more self belief and don’t just sit in against them. Killie have shown what can be done with the right game plan.

Guys like Sima, Dessers, Danilo, Lammers, Sterling, Dowell, Matondo and Souttar don’t look any better than what the other clubs have at their disposal.

I still think they'll run Celtic close, SPL is a different ball game,  these guys are not eligible for European games and will be back in for the title push 

Referee Penalty GIF by ElevenSportsBEligue 1 soccer GIF by Toulouse Football ClubSoccer Guck Mal GIF by Das Örtliche

6 hours ago, Lurkst said:

I believe it would be an indirect free kick for handling a passback, no card though.

The only time a keeper can be booked or sent off for handling in his own box is if it's an illegal second touch following a goal kick or free kick.

This was my understanding also.

The Laws were updated fairly recently as well to include allowing the GK to be sanctioned for illegal second touches using the hands or arms as they were previously excluded.

10 minutes ago, bobbydazzler said:

not buying into the "prefer to be in the europa league cos dont want to get pumped 6 times" line

surely you want to be playing against the best of the best at every opportunity?

You'd think so.

They're going to get a good few pumpings in the EL anyway, and receive 20M or so less for the privilege. 

30 minutes ago, bobbydazzler said:

not buying into the "prefer to be in the europa league cos dont want to get pumped 6 times" line

surely you want to be playing against the best of the best at every opportunity?

Totally.

Had they won last night, we'd have been treated to the usual "dining at the top table" crap amidst much excitement about the vast income on its way.  

1 hour ago, bobbydazzler said:

Even if it means everyone in Europe is either laughing uproariously at you or contemptuously ignoring you ? What does that achieve ?

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Totally.

Had they won last night, we'd have been treated to the usual "dining at the top table" crap amidst much excitement about the vast income on its way.  

Aye, like I mentioned earlier in the thread, while the Europa League offers more potential in terms of progression and (hopefully) lessens the chance of pumpings akin to last season, there’s no dressing up the fact that the failure to qualify just increases the financial gap between ourselves and Celtic, making it even harder for us to compete domestically.