2019/20 Challenge Cup

Guest Flash
On 28/05/2019 at 19:12, HibeeJibee said:

According to HL fixture-list published today R1 is Wednesday 7th August and R2 follows immediately on Wednesday 14th August :unsure:.

https://www.northern-scot.co.uk/sport/fixture-list-announced-for-17-team-highland-league-in-season-2019-20-178516/

Are they maybe trying to complete more rounds before the Irish league season finishes? 

2 hours ago, Flash said:

Are they maybe trying to complete more rounds before the Irish league season finishes? 

It says Championship clubs want to enter 1 round later i.e. R2 (although it says R3: Preliminary being rebranded as R1?), and that it's in September which would be no different to before.

All else being equal (e.g. assuming 2x Conference sides enter) that would require 24 teams to play in the Preliminary, up from 4.

2 hours ago, Radford said:

You need to cut 32 teams (10 League One, 10 League Two, 12 Colts) plus any Highland/Lowland League entrants down to 28 teams. 

Round 1: 12 Colts plus Berwick, East Kilbride, Brora Rangers, Fraserburgh. (16 teams to 8 teams) 

Your R1 is Preliminary by another name, and you exclude 1 HL & 3 LL entirely.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Guest Flash
18 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It says Championship clubs want to enter 1 round later i.e. R2 (although it says R3: Preliminary being rebranded as R1?), and that it's in September which would be no different to before.

All else being equal (e.g. assuming 2x Conference sides enter) that would require 24 teams to play in the Preliminary, up from 4.

You had a link to HL that said R1 was 7 August and R2 was 14th August. That was what I meant by them trying to get more rounds in earlier. 

1 minute ago, Flash said:

You had a link to HL that said R1 was 7 August and R2 was 14th August. That was what I meant by them trying to get more rounds in earlier. 

Appears more likely "R1 & R2" are new names for "Preliminary & R1".

On 01/06/2019 at 08:47, Radford said:

If 18 teams (10 Championship and 8 foreign) come in at R3, you need 14 ties in R2. You need to cut 32 teams (10 League One, 10 League Two, 12 Colts) plus any Highland/Lowland League entrants down to 28 teams. 

Maybe...

Round 1: 12 Colts plus Berwick, East Kilbride, Brora Rangers, Fraserburgh. (16 teams to 8 teams) 

Round 2: 10 League One clubs, 10 League Two clubs plus R1 winners. (28 teams to 14 teams) 

Round 3: 10 Championship clubs, Waterford, Bohemians, 2 clubs from ENG/WAL/NI plus R2 winners. (32 teams to 16 teams) 

As far as I am aware, there won't be any English teams in it anymore. If that is true, an option could be:

Round 1: 12 colts, 6 LL, 6 HL (24 --> 12)
Round 2: 10 League One clubs, 10 League Two clubs, 12 R1 winners (32 --> 16)
Round 3: 10 Championship clubs, 2 clubs from ROI/WAL/NI, 16 R2 winners (32 --> 16)

Although I'd rather have no colts at all, so there could be a first round with 6 LL & 6 HL teams plus the 10 L1/L2 clubs.

I’ve said it before but I do enjoy the two teams from England/Wales/NI/ROI being involved in the completion as it gives the chance of a class away day however the Colt teams can get in the sea. 

Will they be able to run the competition without a sponsor? Clubs seem to be struggling to make it pay as it is. I think it was in the late nineties it stopped for a season or two when they couldn't attract anyone to back it. 

Skyline Drifter has mentioned before that it was a loss-making venture even with a sponsor during the final days of the SFL - it was basically being propped up by the SFL as a sort of showpiece/vanity project. It was implied that the SPFL wasn't willing to do that, and therefore it was basically this current set up or nothing. Without a sponsor it might soon be "nothing".

As far as I am aware, there won't be any English teams in it anymore. If that is true, an option could be:
Round 1: 12 colts, 6 LL, 6 HL (24 --> 12)
Round 2: 10 League One clubs, 10 League Two clubs, 12 R1 winners (32 --> 16)
Round 3: 10 Championship clubs, 2 clubs from ROI/WAL/NI, 16 R2 winners (32 --> 16)
Although I'd rather have no colts at all, so there could be a first round with 6 LL & 6 HL teams plus the 10 L1/L2 clubs.

Presumably Glasgow teams' colts will get a bye, preferably straight to the final.

20 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Anyone know if the Irn Bru sponsorship ended up being extended for this year?

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/irn-bru-ready-to-put-more-fizz-into-the-cup/

I heard someone mention that there is to be a new sponsor no idea who.

Skyline Drifter has mentioned before that it was a loss-making venture even with a sponsor during the final days of the SFL - it was basically being propped up by the SFL as a sort of showpiece/vanity project. It was implied that the SPFL wasn't willing to do that, and therefore it was basically this current set up or nothing. Without a sponsor it might soon be "nothing".

Fingers crossed

15 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

I heard someone mention that there is to be a new sponsor no idea who.

Whatever happened to the P&B idea for us to all club together to sponsor the League Cup and brand it as the "Neil Doncaster is a Cockwomble League Cup"?

I'm pretty sure we could easily reach the £100 needed to do it for this competition. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:56, EdinburghBlue said:

Wonder what ridiculous new wheeze the SPFL will come up with this year for the Challenge Cup?

Anyway, usual kickoff question... when's the draw?

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 20:07, HibeeJibee said:

I was going to say at least it couldn't be made any worse but then I remembered the first year of the new arrangement with a silly number of rounds and foreign sides entering at Last 16. Who knows.

Little over 6 weeks to alleged R1 and still no format, entry, dates or sponsor AFAICS except rumour of an extra round and/or big sides entering later. Maybe info in SPFL fixtures tomorrow.

Could we not just go with..

Round 1: 7 LL, 7 HL and 10 League2 (24–>12) with League2 teams, Berwick Rangers and EK seeded

Round 2: 12 R1, 10 League1, 10 Championship (32–>16)

Call it the Neil Doncaster is a Cockwomble Challenge Cup and get on with it without the carry on of having colts and other teams involved?

Edited by Spyro