The English Football League 2019-20

7-2

36 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

You’d think the fans would have turned out in numbers for the defeat to Ipswich in a show of solidarity, but they had less than 6000. Dismal.

It was great weather for birdwatching to be fair. 🐤

9 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I still don't believe that any apology has been forthcoming from BWFC or the administrators to Rovers for pulling the plug on last Tuesday's game at <24 hours notice, and simply not bothering to get in touch with the club in any way, shape, manner or form - which you might properly expect from any sort of reasonably-run, even vaguely contrite entity, backs to the wall or otherwise

call it tiny minded and intolerant if you will, but f**k 'em - f**k 'em hard up the arse until they're begging to be spared the rectal torment and humiliation, and then f**k 'em some more...

Edited by Herman Hessian

Going by Bury experience you doubt EFL will actually pull the plug on them... another fudge or "extension" upcoming unless liquidation is commencing the next day, IMO.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

You’d think the fans would have turned out in numbers for the defeat to Ipswich in a show of solidarity, but they had less than 6000. Dismal.

My reaction too.

Lowest-ever home crowd since leaving Burnden Park, apparently.

Edited by HibeeJibee

18 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Going by Bury experience you doubt EFL will actually pull the plug on them... another fudge or "extension" upcoming unless liquidation is commencing the next day, IMO.

you'd like to think that the EFL would have to bollocks to retake control of their own competition, rather than allowing clubs to arbitrarily decide when fixtures are fulfilled on a whim; the welfare grounds they are citing are utter bollocks - they apply to Premier League club's U23 players; Bolton are - in case it had escaped anyone's attention - no longer an EPL club, and have not enjoyed that illustrious status for an extended period since their then chairman Phil "utter cųnt" Gartside proposed that the top two tiers became a closed shop with no automatic promotion/relegation to the lower leagues who would be cast adrift to fend for themselves; in fact, Gartside then said "If the FA and the government are going to start looking at debt structure and financial constraints on clubs then we are going to have to do something" - aye, like leaving the sort of legacy where your club payed their fucking bills, paid wages, fulfilled obligations to other more prudent and better-run clubs and generally behaved like professionals for a start, eh ?

and just in case this is not already abundantly clear - Bolton Wanders - f**k 'em....

This is shite. Both teams looked to be setting the light, now look to be heading out and towards liquidation. Idk, maybe the teams can organise a friendly as a final Derby before the end, that's the only positive thing I see possible from this. Just upsetting, so much money in English football and they can't save these 2 clubs.

4 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

This is shite. Both teams looked to be setting the light, now look to be heading out and towards liquidation. Idk, maybe the teams can organise a friendly as a final Derby before the end, that's the only positive thing I see possible from this. Just upsetting, so much money in English football and they can't save these 2 clubs.

You could argue all the money in English football is what laid the road of ruin which Bolton went down.

As expected EFL is leaving it for the administrators/liquidator to deal the fatal blow:

EFL gave Bolton until its board meeting at 17:00 BST on Tuesday to complete a sale of the club or provide "credible plans" they can compete this season.If Bolton cannot satisfy the league's requirements by that point, a 14-day notice period would be activated for the club to prove it has the funds to survive or face losing its place in the league.

Even if they restart as phoenix clubs one challenge will be keeping interest up until commence playing next July. I don't suppose they'd get into any worthwhile league at this stage.

I struggle to understand anyone who wants to see clubs like these gone from football, rivalry considered. Wouldn't wish anything like this on any club really.

It's easy to say they're getting what they deserve, and that's true as far as the individuals behind these clubs are concerned. But, it's not the chairman or anyone there I feel sorry for. Not even the players, I'm sure they'll move on. But these clubs have thousands of ardent supporters who are about to have a big part of their life taken from them and I honestly feel distraught for them.

Having coming close to that myself, it's not nice at all. You feel the EFL going forward have a duty of care for allowing some of these charlatans into football clubs, and you really do wonder what the fit and proper persons test actually consists of.

2 minutes ago, Connor1874 said:

I struggle to understand anyone who wants to see clubs like these gone from football, rivalry considered. Wouldn't wish anything like this on any club really.

It's easy to say they're getting what they deserve, and that's true as far as the individuals behind these clubs are concerned. But, it's not the chairman or anyone there I feel sorry for. Not even the players, I'm sure they'll move on. But these clubs have thousands of ardent supporters who are about to have a big part of their life taken from them and I honestly feel distraught for them.

Having coming close to that myself, it's not nice at all. You feel the EFL going forward have a duty of care for allowing some of these charlatans into football clubs, and you really do wonder what the fit and proper persons test actually consists of.

The problem with these situations is that when a football club ends up in some financial trouble, the sort of people who want to step in are very often questionable characters. No one is coming into Scottish Football or the lower English Leagues to make money, there's a motive of some sort and it ranges from mental instability, money laundering and asset stripping. There are certain clubs who get caught in these cycles for years.

Fair dos, go ahead and issue point deductions or remove teams from the league system if there is a plausible chance that they can't fulfill their fixtures but there's got to be a better way of managing things. The league system as an entirety has the resources to step in and take over the running of a club - they could step in and initiate stringent operations for three-five years where the club is run by someone qualified at the bare minimum and a fans board to assist with football making decisions. It'd be a shitfest in every case but at least it'd give some route back to stability and give the club a clean break rather than the accounting month to month you see and it wouldn't be a particularly nice process that would incentivise neglect.

2 minutes ago, harry94 said:

The problem with these situations is that when a football club ends up in some financial trouble, the sort of people who want to step in are very often questionable characters. No one is coming into Scottish Football or the lower English Leagues to make money, there's a motive of some sort and it ranges from mental instability, money laundering and asset stripping. There are certain clubs who get caught in these cycles for years.

Fair dos, go ahead and issue point deductions or remove teams from the league system if there is a plausible chance that they can't fulfill their fixtures but there's got to be a better way of managing things. The league system as an entirety has the resources to step in and take over the running of a club - they could step in and initiate stringent operations for three-five years where the club is run by someone qualified at the bare minimum and a fans board to assist with football making decisions. It'd be a shitfest in every case but at least it'd give some route back to stability and give the club a clean break rather than the accounting month to month you see and it wouldn't be a particularly nice process that would incentivise neglect.

Absolutely. Thought crossed my mind earlier about how MLS pretty much own all of the club there. Not saying that's the answer here as it makes teams 'franchises' which I'd be wholly against, plus governing 72 clubs would be near impossible. But yes, like you say, basically stops an individual coming into a club and ****ing ruining it.

Sad stuff it really is.

Just now, Connor1874 said:

Absolutely. Thought crossed my mind earlier about how MLS pretty much own all of the club there. Not saying that's the answer here as it makes teams 'franchises' which I'd be wholly against, plus governing 72 clubs would be near impossible. But yes, like you say, basically stops an individual coming into a club and ****ing ruining it.

Sad stuff it really is.

Yeah, but instead leaves it completely open to your club being moved to a different city a couple of thousand miles away, which is arguably worse.

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yeah, but instead leaves it completely open to your club being moved to a different city a couple of thousand miles away, which is arguably worse.

In the true sense of MLS, yeah, but I wasn't necessarily saying that should be the case per se. More just thinking a way that the power that be can protect clubs from being used and abused by some mental millionaire.

17 minutes ago, Connor1874 said:

Birthday caird pish. What exactly were the thousands of Bolton fans doing while their club was overspending to the tune of over £200 million to play at a level that they couldn't possibly sustain year after year? Bury literally financially doped their way out of the fourth tier just last season while the lights were being cut off around them - I don't recall too many howls of complaint from their fans about that ridiculous misplacing of priorities.  

These are largely Dundee and Gretna-esque farces largely of their own making; the warning here is to other fanbases to try and secure a degree of influence over the running their club instead of lapping up all the pledges made to them by whatever Walter Mitty figure comes through the door.