The English Football League 2019-20

7-2

“No football fan should wake up and find their club is gone” can only assume this is a wind up? 

Clubs shouldn’t be allowed to build up massive debts like the majority of English clubs seems to be doing. I hope more of them go, sum up what those leagues have become. Blackburn won’t be too far away. 

There is probably going to be some club in Bury playing at Gigg Lane next season, probably at a level where there crowds will far exceed any other team in the league they are in (unless Bolton join them). In a decade or less they will probably be in the National League with crowds only slightly lower than they are now. 

Edited by Turkmenbashi
Shite typing

“No football fan should wake up and find their club is gone” can only assume this is a wind up? 
Clubs shouldn’t be allowed to build up massive debts like the majority of English clubs seems to be doing. I hope more of them go, sum up what those leagues have become. Blackburn won’t be too far away. 

Agree with this. Cry me a fucking river. There’s probably loads of clubs in England that could end up in the shit tomorrow because they are millions in debt. Ridiculous place for a football club to end up, presumably all because they are chasing the dream of Tourist League football.

There is probably going to be some club in Bury playing at Gigg Lane next season, probably at a level where there crowds will far exceed any other team in the league they are in (unless Bolton join them). In a decade or less they will probably be in the National League with crowds only slightly lower than they are now. 

Surely if they form a new club and play at Gigg Lane they will be parachuted into League 2 or the National League?
That’s how it is meant to work isn’t it?

7 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Surely if they form a new club and play at Gigg Lane they will be parachuted into League 2 or the National League?

Depends mate, is it the club or the company that are going bust? Also is there any likelihood of social unrest? Might get parachuted into the championship

Jibes at Sevco aside, I don't think there is a guarantee that either potential phoenix club would be allowed to play at the stadia of the original club. They might have to scramble around for a ground like Darlington 1883 have. 

Presumably FC United would return the favour and allow Bury to groundshare if need be, but that's not ideal. 

They will get parachuted into some level of the pyramid. Very few of these phoenix clubs go all the way to the bottom.

24 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

None of that makes it the fans' fault. It's gutting to see two towns deprived of their clubs. 

Not forgetting all the staff that will lose their jobs. 

No one is saying it is the fans fault but it’s only a football club, I’m sure the fans will get over it. 

Companies also go bust all the time though. People lose their jobs. It never has the same emotional reaction as football clubs - sure it’s for obvious reasons but it doesn’t make job losses any worse.

Looking for examples in the same region, 1874 Northwich were a breakaway club started by disgruntled fans of Northwich Victoria and were slotted straight into North West Counties Division One, so that's likely as low as any "new" Bolton or Bury would have to start at. That's the tenth tier of English football, sixth tier of non-league. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

11 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Jibes at Sevco aside, I don't think there is a guarantee that either potential phoenix club would be allowed to play at the stadia of the original club. They might have to scramble around for a ground like Darlington 1883 have. 

Presumably FC United would return the favour and allow Bury to groundshare if need be, but that's not ideal. 

Weren't there unique circumstances relating to Darlington tho, mostly the ridiculously oversized stadium. I know Phoenix Chester FC play at the same stadium. And I believe same with Halifax.

Tho I suppose that depends on how valuable the land is, I know much of Greater Manchester is a dump, but it is getting gentrified.

Chester were put in level 7 I think after City went fully tits up. They were originally placed a bit lower but successfully appealed. I expect the 'bigger' the name the higher a club will go.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/27/bury-historic-club-football-league-financial-ruins?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

“In particular, alongside the insolvency which resulted in a company voluntary arrangement (CVA) denying suppliers, HMRC and other creditors 75% of the money Bury owed them, and the still outstanding wages due to players who won promotion last season, was a mortgage on Gigg Lane which Campbell and Newman appear to have found repellent.

The mortgage was taken out in stages by the previous owner, Stewart Day, who in December, as his own property empire was about to collapse into insolvency, sold the club to Steve Dale for £1.

The lender, a firm based in Crosby called Capital Bridging Finance Solutions (“Capital”), is now owed £3.7m. Capital in turn mortgaged Gigg Lane, most homely of football grounds, to a company based in Malta whose own lenders were eight companies registered in the tax haven of the British Virgin Islands. As revealed in the Guardian, large portions of the borrowed money never came to Bury at all, because 40% was paid as “introduction fees” to unnamed third parties.”

Sound familiar ?

English football is a tinpot setup that my nan could fiscally manage better than their lower league clubs seem to, etc etc.

New club, fan ownership, find a level and get on with it. Will be the future of a great many more teams over the next few years. The Swiss Ramble blog has covered lower league finances in England on a few occasions. The mismanagement would be unbelievable if it wasn't so fucking blatantly obvious and accepted.

10 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Weren't there unique circumstances relating to Darlington tho, mostly the ridiculously oversized stadium. I know Phoenix Chester FC play at the same stadium. And I believe same with Halifax.

Tho I suppose that depends on how valuable the land is, I know much of Greater Manchester is a dump, but it is getting gentrified.

Depends on who owns the ground, I think. Saw some suggestion that part of Bury's problem is that they mortgaged the stadium, so guess they don't own it? Even if they do, surely it belongs to the same cowboy that owns the club? 

17 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

The lender, a firm based in Crosby called Capital Bridging Finance Solutions (“Capital”), is now owed £3.7m. Capital in turn mortgaged Gigg Lane, most homely of football grounds, to a company based in Malta whose own lenders were eight companies registered in the tax haven of the British Virgin Islands. As revealed in the Guardian, large portions of the borrowed money never came to Bury at all, because 40% was paid as “introduction fees” to unnamed third parties.”

16 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Depends on who owns the ground, I think. Saw some suggestion that part of Bury's problem is that they mortgaged the stadium, so guess they don't own it? Even if they do, surely it belongs to the same cowboy that owns the club? 

Going by the above, there are 8 companies in BVI who essentially hold control of the ground. Which does sound somewhat familiar...