The English Football League 2019-20

7-2

Give Bolton and Bury footballers wages!

I’ve some sympathy for the supporters, but the cries of the EPL or FA should do something are reminiscent of the deal that HMRC should have done to save Glasgow Rangers.  The FA like the SFA won’t lift a finger to save one of the little fishes of the leagues.  If a Man U, Tottenham or heaven forbid Chelsea go tits up, perhaps then you would see some action. 

34 minutes ago, ForzaDundee said:

Why are people all over twitter blaming the EFL? If a club can't complete fixtures then it's only fair that they are booted out and one of the many non-league clubs gets it's place in the football league.

They're being blamed for not doing their job properly in their Fit and Proper Person Test being a joke, letting crooks take over clubs and sitting back letting them get on with destroying said clubs.

Just now, lichtie23 said:

3 fresh offers for Bury according to SSN.

Offers from:

1. Ex-Gateshead chairman - a non-starter due to his previous, club would be gone in a year

2. Local MP who quit Labour due to Corbyn anti-semitism - non-starter as the guy is obviously a looney.

3. Swiss company - could have legs as a money laundering operation 

Bury should be left to sort out these new bids as a non-league club. That they even got this far into the season while unable to fulfil any fixtures is a total farce. Punt them into whatever northern English league will take them on a provisional basis for next season instead of handing out yet another meaningless 'deadline'. 

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Bury should be left to sort out these new bids as a non-league club. That they even got this far into the season while unable to fulfil any fixtures is a total farce. Punt them into whatever northern English league will take them on a provisional basis for next season instead of handing out yet another meaningless 'deadline'. 

I don’t think anyone is really going to complain if it was extended a wee bit further if there’s deals on the table but they’d need to be quick. 

18 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

I don’t think anyone is really going to complain if it was extended a wee bit further if there’s deals on the table but they’d need to be quick. 

It has already been 'extended a wee bit further' from last week until today at 5pm: another joke 'deadline' that has been missed. It is now the last week of August and Bury have fulfilled no fixtures at all. A competent football organisation would have required both Bury and Bolton to put a bond to show that they could fulfil their fixtures: if they couldn't do that then they should have been papped down to the lowest level willing to take them before the season even started. Even the old SFL managed to handle this situation with far greater competence by sending Livingston down to the Third Division under similar circumstances.

Edited by vikingTON

The problem with any sort of "fit and proper person" test is that these sort of owners are often coming in at a point where the club is already teetering on the abyss, and there will be a lot of pressure on the authorities in such scenarios.

Suppose some dodgy f**k came in to try to buy Bury now. If the EFL or FA blocked the purchase they'd inevitably be accused of killing the club off. It's much easier to enforce the rules when the selling club are in a healthy state, but that is rarely the case in football club takeovers.

Guest Moomintroll
I feel really sorry for the old timers (and everyone else) who have supported these clubs all their lives.
Bury's gone, and looking like Bolton will follow.
Very sad.
That is the saddest part, people who have followed these clubs all their life now having to do something else in footballing terms to fill that Saturdays that will never have the same resonance as following their team. Sadly I don't see them being the last as there are other basket cases out there.

13 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
3 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:
I feel really sorry for the old timers (and everyone else) who have supported these clubs all their lives.
Bury's gone, and looking like Bolton will follow.
Very sad.

That is the saddest part, people who have followed these clubs all their life now having to do something else in footballing terms to fill that Saturdays that will never have the same resonance as following their team. Sadly I don't see them being the last as there are other basket cases out there.

They can (and I'd imagine will) support the inevitable phoenix clubs which will appear in whatever tier of English football lets them in.

Shite having to drop down to following a team in tier 10 or whatever, but there will still be a team for them to support on a Saturday. The the likes of Bolton and Bury would climb to a relatively decent level, where you'd hope they would then become self-sustainable.

Don’t know why but - and I’m not one to advocate it, but with the clamour for us two cheeks to go/f**k off south - why isn’t there the prospect of a Bolton Celtics and Bury Rangers? (Insert you’re own witty riposte here).

Surely that must be an avenue that has been explored?

I await the resident PnB QCs to come shoot me down imminently....

Guest Moomintroll

They can (and I'd imagine will) support the inevitable phoenix clubs which will appear in whatever tier of English football lets them in.
Shite having to drop down to following a team in tier 10 or whatever, but there will still be a team for them to support on a Saturday. The the likes of Bolton and Bury would climb to a relatively decent level, where you'd hope they would then become self-sustainable.

Hope that will be the case.