The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

13 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Have Brechin explained why when they have been happy all season for tier 5 champion to be decided after 17 games why they are deeply upset now it’s 13 games?

Presumably because the Lowland League position if there was disruption due to Covid was set out clearly at the outset.  

39 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Presumably because the Lowland League position if there was disruption due to Covid was set out clearly at the outset.  

It was never a rule though, so they have acted within their rights as far as I can see.

14 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Have Brechin explained why when they have been happy all season for tier 5 champion to be decided after 17 games why they are deeply upset now it’s 13 games?

Brechin have not been perfectly happy with anything for the past 4 seasons so that question is irrelevant . 

9 minutes ago, andrew21 said:

Craig Levein on Sportsound saying there is no way Brechin should be punished this season by being "thrown out" of the SPFL.😀

The man hasn’t a clue

22 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Also interesting how they say neither Kelty, nor Brora deserve to be in the play-off. So instead there should be a league reconstruction promoting both, as they apparently do deserve automatic promotion. 🤔

6 minutes ago, andrew21 said:

Both are 17 team leagues so it would have been after16 games.

Oops,  I had forgotten highland league was now only 17 teams. LL had originally planned on 2x playing but everyone knew HL was only going with 1x playing.   Just makes these moans even worse.

8 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Oops,  I had forgotten highland league was now only 17 teams. LL had originally planned on 2x playing but everyone knew HL was only going with 1x playing.   Just makes these moans even worse.

In the HL some clubs never even got to one game . 

Brechin board need to suck it up, they got a get out of jail free card last season. The HL and LL have nominated a representative (how they did it is hee haw to do with Brechin) for the play off and Brechin are club 42 after playing the season they agreed to play. Brechin should thank their lucky stars they’ve got a playoff to try and save their ass. Last place should be automatically relegated. Forget any hopes of reconstruction it’ll never get through and I expect if it did Budge would have her lawyers on speed dial. Kelty and Brora are ready to play their playoff they were denied last season the SPFL and SFA need to let them get on with it.

On 25/04/2021 at 23:38, Born To Run said:

If this was at all possible, I suspect most people would be on board with it. Overall a positive move for the pyramid as a whole.

The question is, would the clubs ever vote it through?

I think that would be a step too far at the moment.

Right now I would be asking League 2 clubs to expand to a 12-team division to accommodate Brechin, Kelty, and Brora who have been unfortunate victims of circumstance to find themselves in the present situation. 

I would therefore be asking only League 2 clubs to divide their prize money into 12 rather than 10.

They could recoup some of the money from the additional home game of a 12-team division operating as per the Premiership model. They would also gain by having a lower probability of relegation in a 12-team division than in the current 10-team division, if the pyramid playoffs remain unchanged and so only the bottom team participates (Club 44, as it would become).

I think asking any other divisions to make changes to their composition or prize money, at this stage, risks a house of cards type scenario.

I'm for more relegation and promotion between the SPFL and non league, but I see the first step being to sort out today's issue. Other changes may grow organically from there.

13 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Brechin are at it BUT I do think if it had been a team other than Brora I'm not sure a champion would have been declared without some teams even playing a game.

I think the HL were asked/obliged to nominate a team for the play offs. Declaring them "Champions" was just gilding the lily.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

The Highland League was a 16 team league this season. 

Aye, somebody withdrew - Forres?

33 minutes ago, SecretCEO said:

I think that would be a step too far at the moment.

Right now I would be asking League 2 clubs to expand to a 12-team division to accommodate Brechin, Kelty, and Brora who have been unfortunate victims of circumstance to find themselves in the present situation. 

I would therefore be asking only League 2 clubs to divide their prize money into 12 rather than 10.

They could recoup some of the money from the additional home game of a 12-team division operating as per the Premiership model. They would also gain by having a lower probability of relegation in a 12-team division than in the current 10-team division, if the pyramid playoffs remain unchanged and so only the bottom team participates (Club 44, as it would become).

The entire SPFL would still have to vote on this, because it involves increasing the membership from 42 to 44. The probability of relegation next season for the current League 2 clubs would be exactly the same as for this season, because there is exactly zero chance of Brora or Kelty being relegated if they join League 2.

40 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think the HL were asked/obliged to nominate a team for the play offs. Declaring them "Champions" was just gilding the lily.

Aye, somebody withdrew - Forres?

Forres did indeed withdraw for the season.

The Highland League is required to produce a Champion Club for the season, which has been done. Actually lauding them as champions is taking the piss, as you said.