Scotland vs Argentina - Wednesday 19th June, 8pm

HibsFan

The only thing worse than the absolute farcical end to that game is people absolutely desperate to defend it and lay the blame all on Scotland, just another aspect of the Scottish cringe. We were cheated by outrageously poor officiating - on the free kick being taken in the middle of our substitution, on the interpretation of Alexander being off her line, on the absolutely absurd lack of injury time. That has to go down as the most ridiculous end to a football game I've ever seen.
The rules for goalkeepers at penalties have been relaxed. So how many penalties were re-taken at last year's men's world cup for goalkeepers being off their line? 
The fact that the biggest competition in the history of the women's game is being used as an experiment like this by FIFA for laws introduced 2 weeks ago is a disgrace. 
I kind of agree with this.

But we still shat the bed good and proper. Defending at that first Argentinian goal was abysmal and then you've got a howler from the keeper and a silly lunge in the box.

Argentina really started to play but we didn't do enough to kill the game.

Throw in the aforementioned shitey refereeing (be it incompetence or stupid law changes/implementation) and you have a hellish night for Scottish sport.

A total shit-storm.

We have to hold our head up and take it though, as has been mentioned if England went out in similar circumstances we'd be absolutely pissing ourselves.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

But we still shat the bed good and proper. Defending at that first Argentinian goal was abysmal and then you've got a howler from the keeper and a silly lunge in the box.

Throw in the aforementioned shitey refereeing (be it incompetence or stupid law changes/implementation) and you have a hellish night for Scottish sport.

A total shit-storm.

We have to hold our head up and take it though, as has been mentioned if England went out in similar circumstances we'd be absolutely pissing ourselves.

We did what we always do

Find new interesting and always unfair ways to blow it

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

A total shit-storm.

Yes , we would but we would still agree they had been 'cheated' even if we enjoyedthe fact.

6 minutes ago, Binos said:

It's not possible to save a penalty unless you take a step as it's about to be hit

Guess a side and hope you're lucky

Taking a step just got turned a blind eye

Running out to the six yard box didn't

Just side foot roll in the corners now, it will never end

Wimbledon won a FA cup due to Beasant having one foot on the line at a penalty.

Just now, Binos said:

I would suggest not

Stop it at the instant the ball is struck and his right foot is on the line, do you think I just picked that example out my arse.

Here's footage of the US Women winning the penalty shootout at the 1999 WC. Penalties start at 6:30. I doubt if the US goalie is within a yard of her goal line when any of the kicks are taken.

Edited by Shotgun

Just now, Shotgun said:

Here's footage of the US Women winning the penalty shootout at the 1999 WC. Penalties start at 6:50. I doubt if the US goalie is within a yard of her goal line when any of the kicks are taken.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uos71JHj6nE?start=410" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That doesn't make tonight wrong, it''s about fucking time the rules were followed where possible.

Struggling to get worked up about that tbh. 

Deservedly into a 3-0 lead, we then have primary school defending to let Argentina back into the game, brutal keeping to let them within touching distance distance, a poor challenge from the defender before the keeper, despite being extensively warned about it steps off her line. Was in a room with 6 people and everyone agreed she was going low to the keepers right for the penalty, was evidently obvious. Why take the extra step? 

If that's the mens teams, or any football team, rightfully questions are getting asked as to what on earth happened? As it is, be proud/other nonsense. 3-0 up, you're genuinely almost guaranteed a place, kill the game, park the bus. Mental how many fans wanted Kerr involved with the men's side. 

Edited by Grant228

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

That doesn't make tonight wrong, it''s about fucking time the rules were followed where possible.

Don't really disagree. My point here is that it's a ridiculous rule, makes saving a penalty almost impossible and it's hideously unfair to roll it out days before a major competition.

5 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Here's footage of the US Women winning the penalty shootout at the 1999 WC. Penalties start at 6:30. I doubt if the US goalie is within a yard of her goal line when any of the kicks are taken.

Absolutely not relevant. You could post videos up before the pass back rule aswell if you fancy. 

Just now, eddiemunster said:

Arguing about the legalities of penalties is massively ignoring the fact that Scotland absolutely shat the bed.

Well yes, there's multiple topics going on here.

1. Scotland had R16 sewn up and they made a c**t of it.

2. VAR was used ineffectively.

3. The referee was criminally out of her depth at this level.

They're intertwined but talking about one does not mean the others are being ignored.

5 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Absolutely not relevant. You could post videos up before the pass back rule aswell if you fancy. 

Yeah, I know...it was more a case of "Hey look; this WC might've finished differently had FIFA been worried about enforcing the rules that time."

Edited by Shotgun

Don't really disagree. My point here is that it's a ridiculous rule, makes saving a penalty almost impossible and it's hideously unfair to roll it out days before a major competition.

Don't think anyone will disagree with that, just seems like the authorities experimenting at a diddy competition, whereas it's not diddy in the slightest to those involved.

36 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

It might look like that but it isn't.

That’s what the  VAR refs are looking at. How can they definitively say that her foot isn’t in line with the goal line looking at that? It’s not conclusive either way.

Well yes, there's multiple topics going on here.

1. Scotland had R16 sewn up and they made a c**t of it.

2. VAR was used ineffectively.

3. The referee was criminally out of her depth at this level.

They're intertwined but talking about one does not mean the others are being ignored.

Agree to disagree.

If point 1 never happened, points 2 and 3 are irrelevant. We lost the game because of said bed shiteing. The rest, for me, is gravy on the pork chop.

Just now, kingjoey said:

That’s what the  VAR refs are looking at. How can they definitively say that her foot isn’t in line with the goal line looking at that? It’s not conclusive either way.

They'll have it from loads of angles, if there's one that proves definitively that the decision was wrong I'd happily admit my earlier posts were bollocks.