Scotland vs Argentina - Wednesday 19th June, 8pm

HibsFan

Just now, killie_lad said:
1 minute ago, Muzza81 said:
The smallest amount of contact on the ball does not prevent it being a foul ffs.

What took them so long then. They were looking for contact

I’m not going to argue with you seeing as you were in the room with the VAR officials, clearly.

The keeper is so pre-occupied at going against her natural instinct to take a step that it was pretty much guaranteed she wouldn't save it.
You can tell in the movement of her feet at the second penalty that she's a fish out of water by that point. It's like telling someone to write with their weak hand....they can do it but it's horribly awkward and you're not going to do yourself any justice.
Yeah I agree with this. She had no idea what she could or couldnt do.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

The keeper is so pre-occupied at going against her natural instinct to take a step that it was pretty much guaranteed she wouldn't save it.

You can tell in the movement of her feet at the second penalty that she's a fish out of water by that point. It's like telling someone to write with their weak hand....they can do it but it's horribly awkward and you're not going to do yourself any justice.

If the rule is going to be policed this rigorously going forward - which I'm not convinced of - 'keepers will need to learn to take their step on to the line, or alternatively drag their trailing foot, IMO.

5 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

The smallest amount of contact on the ball does not prevent it being a foul ffs.

Nonsense. Only a foul if the tackle is deemed to be careless, reckless or using excessive force. If she touches the ball that tackle is none of those.

If the rule is going to be policed this rigorously going forward - which I'm not convinced of - 'keepers will need to learn to take their step on to the line, or alternatively drag their trailing foot, IMO.
They're not allowed to start behind the line...

I'll admit that I was in favour of VAR when it was first introduced. With the best will in the world, the officials aren't going to get it right every time and there's too much at stake in the modern game. I thought it would be an opportunity to eliminate, or at least reduce the effects of human error.

But the way it's been implemented is farcical. Not just in tonight's game but multiple times, including in the mens' WC. It was only ever meant to be used in the case of an obvious error - that's clear. But, as @killie_lad says above. If after 5 minutes, 7 officials with access to 20 camera angles still haven't been able to determine whether it was a mistake, then by definition it isn't "an obvious error" and the original decision needs to stand. If this was an isolated incident it would be one thing, but it isn't. Get it in the bin.

And on another note; you have to feel for the goalkeepers who've spent years training to face penalties a certain way. Thousands of repetitions and the muscle memory that goes with it. Then to suddenly expect them to switch things up and undo all that with no preparation time - right as they're playing what is for most of them the biggest games of their entire lives. And to book them for getting it wrong? f**k that shit.

I'd say they got it wrong. The defender touched the ball first. Microscopically but first. No penalty.
The surprising thing to me was that it was not in the reverse order. i.e. ref blows for penalty, VAR says no.

That’s not the rules of a penalty though. She may have touched the ball, but she then went on and wiped her opponent out. Definite penalty, irrespective of whether she played the ball.

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'd go one further..... change the rules to let them start behind the line and step onto it. It's a lot better than no step at all.

Edited by djchapsticks

Will VAR be applied during penalty shootouts for this purpose? If so then it seems likely that we'll see a red card for a keeper during a shootout at this tournament, as the keepers clearly either don't understand or haven't fully taken on board the new rule.

The misunderstanding is on the part of the rule makers, they clearly haven’t put any thought into this or consulted anyone on how this will impact keepers. A red card seems inevitable at some point. As does some absolute justified rage. Keepers can’t adapt to this rule change, they are being asked to do something impossible.

If there's a shoot out in this tournament it will never end.

We either have players repeatedly rolling the ball into the corner safe in the knowledge to keeper won’t move or the team that shoots first will win by default as keeper after keeper gets sent off.

I don't agree, keepers should not be allowed to jump forward before a pen is taken, I really don't think goalies of old jumped forward early like they do nowadays.

Goalies of old, when?! 1950?

5 minutes ago, killie_lad said:
6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

They're not allowed to start behind the line...

They're not allowed to stand behind the line - but they're not forbidden to have part of their body behind it?

It would appear allowable to start on the line, put one foot behind it, then propel off that foot provided it - or your other foot - is on/above the line the moment the ball is struck. It could look like a move in tap dance, or 'setting' in Scottish country dancing, but permissible?

EDIT: Of course another option is that we end up really old school, almost like the days when the 'keeper wasn't allowed to move, and dives are very much sideways.

Edited by HibeeJibee

19 minutes ago, Binos said:

Every penalty saved, will now be retaken until it is scored

It's not possible to move without taking a step forward to propel of the foot

Everyone knew it, it was just one of those unwritten things in the game

First sentence .....pish

Second sentence........pish as well. Of course it’s possible to dive to either side , rather than forward.  Even if your second comment was correct , though, it’s up to the goalie to make sure that he or she doesn’t move forward BEFORE the ball’s kicked

Really hoped the woman's team would have qualified from a tough group. Yes got short straw on almost every decision in every game. The men's team have been playing that dirge for years.  Hoped for so much better and what is thrust of this thread, we was robbed ! If you can't see out a 3-0 lead with 15 mins to go in an actual must win game, then discussing VAR and time added is pathetic

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why wouldn't it be?

She broke the law so it was retaken, its not debatable. Blame the manager and players who bottled a three goal lead, not the officials who were simply, correctly, doing their job.

She probably hasn’t broken the law. A goalkeeper is allowed to have her foot off the line when the kick is taken, so long as it is over the line in the air. When you see the higher level shot, it appears that her left foot, although not touching the line, is over the line in mid air. You can’t make the kick be retaken unless it is certain, and it’s not certain, it’s debatable.

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Goalies of old, when?! 1950?

70's onwards, penalties shouldn't be a 50/50 or anywhere near it as most are stopping a high % scoring opportunity.