Scotland vs Argentina - Wednesday 19th June, 8pm

HibsFan

They're not allowed to stand behind the line - but they're not forbidden to have part of their body behind it?

It would appear allowable to start on the line, put one foot behind it, then propel off that foot provided it - or your other foot - is on/above the line the moment the ball is struck. It could look like a move in tap dance, or 'setting' in Scottish country dancing, but permissible?
What the f**k have we come to that keepers have to become some sort of contortionist to have a chance at saving penalties.

4 minutes ago, A96 said:

First sentence .....pish

Second sentence........pish as well. Of course it’s possible to dive to either side , rather than forward.  Even if your second comment was correct , though, it’s up to the goalie to make sure that he or she doesn’t move forward BEFORE the ball’s kicked

You've never played in nets clearly

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

She probably hasn’t broken the law. A goalkeeper is allowed to have her foot off the line when the kick is taken, so long as it is over the line in the air. When you see the higher level shot, it appears that her left foot, although not touching the line, is over the line in mid air. You can’t make the kick be retaken unless it is certain, and it’s not certain, it’s debatable.

It wasn't, she jumped forward from the line, from behind the net it was obvious it was going to be retaken.

Edited by ayrmad

1 minute ago, ekok said:

Really hoped the woman's team would have qualified from a tough group. Yes got short straw on almost every decision in every game. The men's team have been playing that dirge for years.  Hoped for so much better and what is thrust of this thread, we was robbed ! If you can't see out a 3-0 lead with 15 mins to go in an actual must win game, then discussing VAR and time added is pathetic

It’s not pathetic. Regardless of how badly we defended at the end, if the VAR decision on the retake had been correct, Scotland would have won the match.

Just now, killie_lad said:
4 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:
They're not allowed to stand behind the line - but they're not forbidden to have part of their body behind it?

It would appear allowable to start on the line, put one foot behind it, then propel off that foot provided it - or your other foot - is on/above the line the moment the ball is struck. It could look like a move in tap dance, or 'setting' in Scottish country dancing, but permissible?

What the f**k have we come to that keepers have to become some sort of contortionist to have a chance at saving penalties.

Absolutely.

However this is what happens when you start annually making substantive "tweaks" to key rules... this tempo never happened in the old days... then also throw in video replays.

We are especially complicit: we carry 1 of 8 votes on IFAB... In our press McRae rocking around Aberdeen showing off Infantino and his "pals" was all light-hearted. This is the serious side.

Theres a lot of yer da type stuff flying about here, bit it does appear that should the rules be applied as per this game, ther will be no excuse whatsoever for missing a penalty. Keepers are now handicapped to the point of reliance on luck.
The 'yer da' patter is cringey as f**k.

Folk are justifiably shocked after that ending. I don't think I've seen anything like that.

I simply don't understand why they needed to change the penalty line law. Surely penalties being saved adds to the drama? Why penalise the keeper? What was the issue?

But obviously the biggest issue is the full time nonsense. Var is starting to ruin the key moments in matches. It takes away the natural joy of celebrating a goal/penalty/penalty save/red card.

13 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

The 'yer da' patter is cringey as f**k.

Folk are justifiably shocked after that ending. I don't think I've seen anything like that.

I simply don't understand why they needed to change the penalty line law. Surely penalties being saved adds to the drama? Why penalise the keeper? What was the issue?

But obviously the biggest issue is the full time nonsense. Var is starting to ruin the key moments in matches. It takes away the natural joy of celebrating a goal/penalty/penalty save/red card.

It makes them feel better, also allows them to ignore the fact that most will be of a similar age or younger.

Edited by ayrmad

7 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

It wasn't, she jumped forward from the mine, from behind the net it was obvious it was going to be retaken.

Have a look at the still from in the stand when the ball is kicked. It looks like her foot, although off the ground, is still over the goal line, and therefore not a foul. 

10 minutes ago, killie_lad said:
13 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

If Alexander had stood still on the line in the middle of the goals ,she’d probably have saved the retaken penalty, which was pretty much hit down the middle

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

Have a look at the still from in the stand when the ball is kicked. It looks like her foot, although off the ground, is still over the goal line, and therefore not a foul. 

It might look like that but it isn't.

16 minutes ago, A96 said:

Of course it’s possible to dive to either side , rather than forward.  Even if your second comment was correct , though, it’s up to the goalie to make sure that he or she doesn’t move forward BEFORE the ball’s kicked

12 minutes ago, Binos said:

You've never played in nets clearly

This.

Way back in my playing days I was goalkeeper in a game which went to a penalty shootout. The referee; who'd been a wee bedwetter throughout the entire game, decided he was going to enforce the "Goalkeeper must stay on his line until the ball has been kicked" rule. Of course the penalty takers simply hoofed it into the corners ever time and there was nothing I or my counterpart could do. It went to something like 11-11 before one of our players knocked it outside the post. Allowing the keeper to move one foot off the line is going to be marginally better than that, but it will still be pretty much impossible to save a penalty unless the taker makes an error. When it comes to the smaller women, the referee might as well just award a goal and be done with it.

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That’s not the rules of a penalty though. She may have touched the ball, but she then went on and wiped her opponent out. Definite penalty, irrespective of whether she played the ball.

I'm not a referee and Iknow that they are given guidance on certain circumstances.

This is what I found concerning the ruling on a direct free kick. i.e. a penalty if in the box.

There are five offences in which contact may or may not be made with an opponent that cause a direct free kick to be awarded:

• attempts to kick an opponent carelessly, recklessly or with excessive force
  • attempts to trip an opponent carelessly, recklessly or with excessive force
  • jumps at an opponent carelessly, recklessly or with excessive force
  • attempts to strike an opponent carelessly, recklessly or with excessive force
  • tackles an opponent carelessly, recklessly or with excessive force

So, no reference to touching the ball first.     Accepted.  

But no other application demands a penalty in my opinion in the case in question.

I may be wrong.  😞

We have heard nothing but how well the team have  done to qualify, accepted. But when push came to shove we couldn't see out a game with about 15 mins to go and 3-0 up . At any level of serious football that is not acceptable.  Everyone involved, coaches,  players and SFA need to take a long hard look at where we REALLY are and  make sure the ever increasing funding is channelled correctly.  Had enough of this from the mens team, we must do better on both fronts. Got the usual grief from the wife for shouting at the telly, we so much deserve so much better in both mens and womens game.

Of all the folk to blame I think it's harsh to call out the SFA. What the f**k did they do wrong?

When you freeze it at the moment the first pen is struck her left foot was still on the line. She then moves forward to save it, but it must come down to feet positioning when the ball is struck surely...therefore no retake.

To call that refereeing display throughout shambolic would do it a disservice. She hadn't a clue for most of the game, marching around sticking her finger into folks faces, flourishing yellow cards straight into the face as well. On both the pen decision and then before the retake initially she waved play on and in face awarded a free kick to Scotland both times.

As others have said if that was a retake tonight then pretty much any pen which is saved will now have to be a retake as well. There was next to no difference in the keepers foot positioning between the first and second pen, on both occasions the left foot starts on the line. So, if the first is a retake then so is the second one. It was an utter farce.

If Alexander had stood still on the line in the middle of the goals ,she’d probably have saved the retaken penalty, which was pretty much hit down the middle

Well yes she might have saved the shite penalty but I'd imagine guessing which way to go whilst also fighting the natural urges that has become a second nature, also knowing that she'll be sent off if she doesn't, won't help.

6 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

This.

Way back in my playing days I was goalkeeper in a game which went to a penalty shootout. The referee; who'd been a wee bedwetter throughout the entire game, decided he was going to enforce the "Goalkeeper must stay on his line until the ball has been kicked" rule. Of course the penalty takers simply hoofed it into the corners ever time and there was nothing I or my counterpart could do. It went to something like 11-11 before one of our players knocked it outside the post. Allowing the keeper to move one foot off the line is going to be marginally better than that, but it will still be pretty much impossible to save a penalty unless the taker makes an error. When it comes to the smaller women, the referee might as well just award a goal and be done with it.

It's not possible to save a penalty unless you take a step as it's about to be hit

Guess a side and hope you're lucky

Taking a step just got turned a blind eye

Running out to the six yard box didn't

Just side foot roll in the corners now, it will never end

I feel empty inside.

Thought we had some really great play in spells and was already thinking about the R16 v Grenoble. Did we blow it? If we can’t win with a 3 goal lead and 20 minutes remaining than I have to say yes. Ultimately our game management should have been better.

But the refereeing was shocking. Much has already been said about VAR and I don’t particular have anything else to add other than as a fan, it’s a shit experience. That may be because we never benefitted from VAR, But simply took far too long today

What I will heavily criticise the referee for was the lack of adding time on at the end. I have never seen the referee blow full time and the players and fans simply stand there in confusion. The referee must have stopped play for the initial VAR decision at 86 minutes? And then preceded to add only 4 minutes of time despite 5 substitutions, 4 goals and no play from this moment until the centre after retake of the penalty, we then attacked once and the game ended. I was looking forward to what was going to be 10 minutes of all out attack from both teams.

And the Argentinians immediately taking the free kick mid substitute was poor sportsmanship, or the referee should have brought this back, I’m admittedly unfamiliar with the rules here. Again I don’t think I’ve actually ever seen that during a match. I don’t think it should be legal if it is.