Embarrassing admissions

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Jesus. I'm in my forties and I've always sung "last looked out" even though I know his name was Wenceslas. What a diddy. 

I thought the carol must've been about him dying seeing as they were singing about the last time he looked out (the window??).

I get sent an email every two weeks with a spreadsheet attached, this has been happening for nearly 5 years, only recently did I realise the file name of the spreadsheet was the date (DDMMYY) it was sent out. Before, I just assumed it was just 6 random numbers. Easily over 4 years it took me to see the connection.

16 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Has anybody else ever turned up to work 12 hrs early and set up shop having fallen asleep after getting home and waking up a few hours later? 

"8:50?! Fuuuuuuuuuck!!!" (throws on jacket, runs out door...) 

I've went to work and school on days I was off. Absolute tool. 

7 hours ago, RockMusic said:

I was in my thirties before realising that the correct lyrics to the well known Christmas carol were:

"Good King Wenceslas looked out"

and not what I'd thought for years:

"Good King Wencelas last looked out"

I thought it was that as well. Until I read your post :lol:

I once went back to school a day early after the holidays. The schools in our town all went back on different days (I think the teachers went in a day or two earlier than the pupils) and my sister was gloating because she didn't have to go until the following day. Got up early, put on my uniform and away I went. It wasn't until I was a couple of hundred yards away that I started to wonder why nobody else was doing the same thing.

You wouldn't believe how many people I knew that saw me on the long walk home.

23 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I used to think that Welsh Rarebit was actually Welsh Rabbit.

I couldn't understand how you could start with a rabbit and cook it in such a way that it ended up more like cheese on toast.

The correct expression is welsh rabbit. Rarebit was added by toffs who didn't want to be associated with cheap rabbit meat. Welsh was added to nouns to mean a cheap or poor version of something ie: using your fingers to straighten your hair was using a welsh comb. Cheese was seen as a poor substitute for meat (rabbit, or otherwise), hence the name welsh rabbit. On a similar idea, many people think lunch is an abbreviated form of luncheon. Again, this is wrong - toffs wanted to make boring old lunch sound posher and created the ridiculous luncheon.

25 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I once went back to school a day early after the holidays. The schools in our town all went back on different days (I think the teachers went in a day or two earlier than the pupils) and my sister was gloating because she didn't have to go until the following day. Got up early, put on my uniform and away I went. It wasn't until I was a couple of hundred yards away that I started to wonder why nobody else was doing the same thing.

You wouldn't believe how many people I knew that saw me on the long walk home.

I did that going to work on a bank holiday. As I approached the building I did think it seemed quieter than usual. Still, got my weekly shop at the supermarket with almost no-one else in there.

30 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I used to think that Welsh Rarebit was actually Welsh Rabbit.

I couldn't understand how you could start with a rabbit and cook it in such a way that it ended up more like cheese on toast.

This was one of HC's crushing life experiences.

I was in a B&B in Conwy and selected 'Welsh rarebit' on the breakfast form the night before, having no idea what it was.  Perhaps I was just overly excited about trying some new exciting-sounding cuisine, but you can imagine my disappointment when I was given cheese on f***ing toast for breakfast. 

I've never been back to Wales since.  F**k 'em.

10 minutes ago, RockMusic said:

The correct expression is welsh rabbit. Rarebit was added by toffs who didn't want to be associated with cheap rabbit meat. Welsh was added to nouns to mean a cheap or poor version of something ie: using your fingers to straighten your hair was using a welsh comb. Cheese was seen as a poor substitute for meat (rabbit, or otherwise), hence the name welsh rabbit. On a similar idea, many people think lunch is an abbreviated form of luncheon. Again, this is wrong - toffs wanted to make boring old lunch sound posher and created the ridiculous luncheon.

The sketch show Absolutely always seemed to have these two as running characters:

Imagine the 'get it cancelled' bandwagon if this was on just now.  :lol: