Embarrassing admissions

9 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

When I first started using the Internet in about 96 or 97, I'd never heard of a search engine so had no idea how to find stuff of interest to me. I resorted to writing down URLs from adverts in magazines and newspapers and looking at them instead, even if it was stuff I had no interest in like cars or financial websites. 

When we got our first computer in 1995, my FiL bought us a book...a book which explained how to use Search Engines. Of course in the time between it being written, published, put into print and on the shelves, it became so out of date, it just confused us further. We also had a little notepad on which we wrote down the URLs of websites we wanted to look at again. It was a helpful Customer Service agent working for our phone/Internet provider who introduced me to Netscape and things took off from there.

...although to be fair, in those days the use of Search Engines was something of an art form. Today where you can just type any vague thought into Google and it will read your mind and deliver exactly what you're looking for. Back then you had to know that Lycos' logarithms worked differently than AltaVista, which was different from Excite and so on. Each had their quirks.

17 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I used to have a decently high level of compter understanding and stuff but the world has passed me by...

Me too, studied programming at secondary school with an advanced higher.   Went to uni, hated it and left and now I can't even highlight a cell and put a border around it.

On 26/06/2019 at 09:27, RockMusic said:

I was in my thirties before realising that the correct lyrics to the well known Christmas carol were:

"Good King Wenceslas looked out"

and not what I'd thought for years:

"Good King Wencelas last looked out"

You know the song "Sorry Miss Jackson" by Outkast?  Been out for about 20 years?  Well its only the other day that I realised the lyrics were "Sorry Miss Jackson.......never meant to make your daughter cry"

I thought the lyrics were "never meant to make your doctor cry" and I always thought it was a bit strange.

Makes sense now with the rest of the song.

On 27/06/2019 at 09:05, GordonD said:

In Larkhall 'posh' means a woman who puts her kebab on a window ledge before she pishes in the gutter.

Genuinely took me a minute to realise she wasn't supposed to be peeing into the gutter from the window ledge.

There are places folk would pay good money for that kind of show.

33 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Blue, green, red or breast?

It was just a bit of blue milk, I doubt she even noticed tbf and I got my coffee this morning without having to go to the shops so everyones a winner!

6 minutes ago, throbber said:

It was just a bit of blue milk, I doubt she even noticed tbf and I got my coffee this morning without having to go to the shops so everyones a winner!

She'll have noticed, but she'll have to learn to live with disappointment.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

She'll have noticed, but she'll have to learn to live with disappointment.

The root of all her patriarchal problems will be traced back to this moment on some psychiatrists couch in about 40 years time.

That and the horror of discovering a hoard of crusty socks at the back of her dads wardrobe.