The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

3 hours ago, Scott Steiner said:

Which is a fair point.

The only reason we're still talking about partition is that Nippy trying to do exactly that.

Given your pretence of being a super hardcore Orange Lodge member, I thought you were meant to be a great fan of partition?

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

Same here. it was why I set up my personal pension when I was 21 because I was being told then (1989) not to depend on the state pension still being around. I've always looked on it as a bonus if I get it but there are so many people that will be relying on the pension alone to fund their retirement.

It'd be good to make the teaching of saving for the future part of the curriculum IMO.

19 minutes ago, Scott Steiner said:

It'd be good to make the teaching of saving for the future part of the curriculum IMO.

It already is.

My bairn was being taught about savings and the difference between debit and credit cards just last month. She's in primary 7. 

We were never given any of that kind of lesson when we were at school. I know that you're younger than me but I doubt you were either. Maybe something to praise the SNP for. 😉

Edited by Suspect Device

3 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

It already is.

My bairn was being taught about savings and the difference between debit and credit cards just last month. She's in primary 7. 

We were never given any of that kind of lesson when we were at school. I know that you're younger than me but I doubt you were either. Maybe something to praise the SNP for. 😉

To be honest when I was that age I did not consider savings or investments, ISAs or any of that.

Every Saturday I got pocket money and immediately blew the lot on sweeties.  Where was my financial planner back then?

4 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

To be honest when I was that age I did not consider savings or investments, ISAs or any of that.

Every Saturday I got pocket money and immediately blew the lot on sweeties.  Where was my financial planner back then?

You wouldn't be doing that if you were my kid.

Save at least 10% for something that you really want.

And don't eat that many sweets or you'll get fat and your teeth will fall out.

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

You wouldn't be doing that if you were my kid.

Save at least 10% for something that you really want.

And don't eat that many sweets or you'll get fat and your teeth will fall out.

and to think that aberdonians have a reputation for being grippy..

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

It already is.

Glad to hear that SD.

God bless the SNP! 😇

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/16/boris-johnson-go-out-catch-covid-ignore-the-science-or-trust-in-chris-whitty

"You can tell who the country trusts. People no longer look at Boris Johnson on TV and ask themselves why is this liar lying to me. They already know why. Boris lies because he knows no other way of interacting. Deceit is his default setting. It’s not just the past that is a foreign country; it’s also the present. Truth and Boris have never been on speaking terms. So when Chris Whitty and the prime minister hold a press conference together, there’s only one person to whom the country is listening."

13 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/16/boris-johnson-go-out-catch-covid-ignore-the-science-or-trust-in-chris-whitty

"You can tell who the country trusts. People no longer look at Boris Johnson on TV and ask themselves why is this liar lying to me. They already know why. Boris lies because he knows no other way of interacting. Deceit is his default setting. It’s not just the past that is a foreign country; it’s also the present. Truth and Boris have never been on speaking terms. So when Chris Whitty and the prime minister hold a press conference together, there’s only one person to whom the country is listening."

There was a great moment at PMQ's yesterday, when Starmer mentioned that BoJo had to rely on Labour votes to get the latest Covid restrictions voted through the Commons. He apparently mumbled that just wasn't true.

The look of incredulity on Starmer's face was a picture!

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

There was a great moment at PMQ's yesterday, when Starmer mentioned that BoJo had to rely on Labour votes to get the latest Covid restrictions voted through the Commons. He apparently mumbled that just wasn't true.

The look of incredulity on Starmer's face was a picture!

I watched that and there was something of an epiphany about it. Johnson was ridiculed, rattled and lurched into further incoherence.

Whilst I would not expect a broad agreement on here for this point, I rather think that Starmer has played a rather cute long game.

Johnson is being found out and he has carried out all the detective work single handedly.

By comparison, the clean cut guy in a smart suit that fits him might be attractive enough for the English voters.

52 minutes ago, sophia said:

I watched that and there was something of an epiphany about it. Johnson was ridiculed, rattled and lurched into further incoherence.

Whilst I would not expect a broad agreement on here for this point, I rather think that Starmer has played a rather cute long game.

Johnson is being found out and he has carried out all the detective work single handedly.

By comparison, the clean cut guy in a smart suit that fits him might be attractive enough for the English voters.

Delusional disorder, previously called paranoid disorder, is a type of serious mental illness — called a “psychosis”— in which a person cannot tell what is real from what is imagined. The main feature of this disorder is the presence of delusions, which are unshakable beliefs in something untrue.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

Spot on. Starmer is absolutely playing the long game as is the majority of his front bench. He's going for the 'adult in the room' approach. He doesn't need to have a go at Boris as that is what BJ wants. Starmer is giving him just enough rope to hang himself. If he went for the jugular, the Tories would jump on him and in doing so would back Boris. Right now they are gunning for him and Starmer knows just to let it all implode.

Agree to on whether the guy in the smart suit is what enough folk want. The drama and unpredictability of Boris is part of his attraction for many unfortunately.

Cummings has been dropping his not so subtle little videos for a while now. I wonder if he's sitting on something really juicy and will drop it over the holidays or perhaps when parliament rconvenes in the new year just to see off boris

55 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Cummings has been dropping his not so subtle little videos for a while now. I wonder if he's sitting on something really juicy and will drop it over the holidays or perhaps when parliament rconvenes in the new year just to see off boris

I’ve suspected/hoped that these random photos and videos are just an aperitif. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone’s sitting on a video of a drunken Johnson drowning kittens in his own piss. At the very least, there has to be footage of him saying racist/xenophobic/misogynist/homophobic garbage. He is, after all, a racist, xenophobic, misogynistic homophobe - and he’s always thought he’s too untouchable to have to hide it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/17/party-hangover-boris-johnson-prime-minister-leadership-contest

"Unable to pass legislation on the biggest issue of his premiership and the era without Labour support, Johnson has lost control of the voters who voted to take back control, to say nothing of his batshit backbenchers. His Downing Street lectern reads “Get boosted now”, but might as well say “BEHOLD YOUR WEAKLING KING”. At a Downing Street briefing this week, the chief medical officer explained: “What we’ve got is two epidemics on top of each other.” Yeah, and two press conferences on top of each other. One is being held by Chris Whitty; the other is being gibbered through by a knock-off Richard II, surrounded by useless cronies and unsuccessfully begging parliament for money. (Put that in your Shakespeare book, mate.) “Don’t mix with people you don’t have to,” advised Whitty, who agonisingly has to mix with Boris Johnson."

Very interesting that you hear Tory MP's now very openly speaking out over Boris directly. That wouldn't have happened even 5-6 weeks ago. They obviously sense he is in his way out. One eveb said he has had 2 strikes and a 3rd and he is out.

What I hadn't appreciated until I heard it earlier is that the seat they lost, was not only Tory for 200 years (in whatever way it was carved up) but more relevantly, voted 60% to leave the EU. Whatever way you cut it, this was Boris's own base of voters ultimately turning on him. His party will not run the risk of him getting them voted out. He may well limp on for a few months yet, but he is toast. May be even sooner if one of the Sunday papers has even more revelations about him. Hypothetically.... say the Mirror had access to evidence that puts Boris at one or more parties that he has already denied took place, would that be enough to end him? Couple that was maybe something new, surely that would be the straw that broke the camels back. 🤔

I mean while many of us forgot there was a by election this week, if you wanted to bring him down with a fatal blow, you'd hold it back and release it this Saturday night I'd imagine. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

Baroness Blurt putting the boot in now that she's feathered her own nest with a lifetime season ticket in the unelected chamber......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The former Scottish Conservatives leader, Ruth Davidson, told BBC Radio 4’s World at One that the prime minister was “drinking in the last chance saloon” after being “put on warning by his MPs”.

MPs “are looking for him after Christmas to come back with a programme for government to sharpen up the operation at No 10, to stop having all of these own goals and burning political capital”, she said.

MPs were “looking for a bit of bloody grip to be exerted,” Baroness Davidson said, adding that “ if they see that they might hold off, but I mean, I think the prime minister has been put on warning by his MPs”.

When asked if there was a successor to Boris Johnson, she acknowledged “there’s not a natural successor”, but added:

Events that have happened over the last month, month and a half, have allowed this to now be openly talked about at all levels within the party… I would say Rishi Sunak’s doing very well, I’d say Sajid Javid’s doing very well. I would say, having recently been promoted from vaccines minister Na***** Zahawi has done brilliantly and deserves the promotion into cabinet.

You have to have a prime minister that has got a programme for government and has got the grip then has got the staff to be able to execute it and has got the plan for it.

She said MPs she had spoken to were saying “they’re tired of the constant drama coming out of No 10. And actually the No 11 flat as well. And they’re getting it in the neck every time they go back to their constituencies every week.”

So I think what they’re looking for is a more sober prime minister, [who] will cut out the self-inflicted mistakes.